daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #921
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Those out-of-context period costumes are hilarious!
Yup But at least Kaliningrad reconstructed/restored something Would be nice if they did the old Castle and the Kneiphof too

TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #922
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReconstructer View Post
Yup But at least Kaliningrad reconstructed/restored something Would be nice if they did the old Castle and the Kneiphof too
Had Brezhnev not blown up the old castle that would probably have happened by now. Other parts of the Kneiphof could have been restored with relative ease as well.

The funny thing here is that at the end of WWII the original plan called for Poland to get Königsberg/Kaliningrad and for East Germany to keep Stettin/Szczecin. Only at the very last minute did Stalin decide that he wanted Kaliningrad whereupon we were left with the present arrangement.

A damn shame really because the Poles would have almost certainly done as nice of a job with Kaliningrad as they did with Gdańsk.

Of course, the flip side is that Szczecin today might very well be as ugly as Magdeburg or Chemnitz.

Twelve of one or a dozen of the other I suppose.

Last edited by Judge Roy Beam; February 15th, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #923
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
Had Brezhnev not blown up the old castle that would probably have happened by now. Other parts of the Kneiphof could have been restored with relative ease as well.

The funny thing here is that at the end of WWII the original plan called for Poland to get Königsberg/Kaliningrad and for East Germany to keep Stettin/Szczecin. Only at the very last minute did Stalin decide that he wanted Kaliningrad whereupon we were left with the present arrangement.

A damn shame really because the Poles would have almost certainly done as nice of a job with Kaliningrad as they did with Gdańsk.

Of course, the flip side is that Szczecin today might very well be as ugly as Magdeburg or Chemnitz.

Königsberg as a part of Duchy of Prussia was a fief of the Polish Kingdom just for 59 years (between 1466-1525). I don't think that Polish people would rebuild the city, because they were (and still are) not connected with it. Gdansk for example was part of Poland for around 700 years (and it was biggest and richest Polish city in 16th/17th century), so reconstruction process was just a matter of time.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; February 15th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #924
Judge Roy Beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Königsberg as a part of Duchy of Prussia was a fief of the Polish Kingdom just for 59 years (between 1466-1525). I don't think that Polish people would rebuild the city, because they were (and still are) not connected with it. Gdansk for example was part of Poland for around 700 years (and it was biggest and richest Polish city in 16th/17th century), so reconstruction process was just a matter of time.
Good points.

I suppose then that by 1945 Königsberg/Kaliningrad/Królewiec was in fact doomed to eternal ugliness no matter who got it.

Maybe the Lithuanians would have shown some affection for the place had it landed in their lap? Probably not though.

It did used to be rather nice.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #925
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post

But for what reason did Stalin wanted Kaliningrad? I mean: it isn't the most strategic place for an harbour, and the city was almost completly destroyed.....So for what reason did he wanted Kaliningrad?
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #926
Mr. Benq
Ebrolucionando...

Likes (Received): 461

Second-class travelers Station, Miranda de Ebro (Spain).

This is a building that has 150 years (this year is the anniversary of the arrival of the train to this small town), probably of the few who were saved in Spain in the early years of the railway in the country. For years it has been used as storage. It has more historical value than architectural, unlike the rest of the station.

Probably in the future be used as art gallery.

Before

After (still in works)

Mr. Benq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #927
uunxx

Likes (Received): 506

Quote:
I don't think so, it would be like Szczecin/Stettin in worst case. In Szczecin separate buildings (like castle) were rebuilt but the city was rather neglected for long time, I guess because of its remote location within Poland and proximity to German border with no border treaty till 1990. It would be not a case with Królewiec/Königsberg so I think it would be rebuilt to some greater degree. Also I bet the commie propaganda would certainly find strong ties between Poland and the city .

Last edited by uunxx; February 17th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
uunxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #928
intervention
planning inaction

Well, since the border treaty wasn't official until much after 1945, there was no impetus to rebuilt and comprehensively deal with large cities that potentially may not have stayed within Poland. I remember in N. Davies' "Heart of Europe," he went on a whole spiel about this impacting decisions of reconstruction. Plus, with very abstract links to Poland, Szczecin's German past, or it's shredded remains, were golden commie propaganda opportunities.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #929
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Likes (Received): 821

well it's really hard to tell what would happen to konigsberg... the reconstruction of cities in northern poland differed from town to town, the old towns in gdansk and olsztyn were rebuilt but the surroundings are still haunting, the old towns in elblag and kolobrzeg remained untouched until the eighties and the nineties when a postmodern reinterpretation of the ancient scheme started, the cities of stargard or koszalin were rebuilt with modern buildings placed on the medieval street pattern, there are several smaller towns that was turned in a complete mess and lost forever their city centers... konigsberg was doomed by the scale of it's destruction and it's impossible to tell how the polish state would rebuild it, apart the propaganda, the economic aspects probably would be decisive... i wouldn't be surprised if they focused on the reactivation of the harbor and on the construction of flats for it's workers, leaving the old town spoil as it happened in elbing or stettin... however considering the importance of such a large city for the reborn country perhaps they would have rebuilt the old town as it happened in the "hostile-german" breslau... who knows?
jumping_jack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #930
Judge Roy Beam

Quote:
But for what reason did Stalin wanted Kaliningrad? I mean: it isn't the most strategic place for an harbour, and the city was almost completly destroyed.....So for what reason did he wanted Kaliningrad?
It wasn't Kaliningrad he wanted so much as the nearby ice free port city of Pillau/Baltiysk.

During the cold war the Soviets constructed a huge naval base there and to this day it remains the largest Russian naval base in the Baltic Sea.

The old Kriegsmarine barracks now under new management in Baltiysk.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #931
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
I noticed a small mistake there.

Königsberg as a part of Duchy of Prussia was a fief of the Polish Kingdom for 191 years (between 1466-1657). Also, I've read that some famous Poles were living there. It seems that Königsberg had more ties to Poland than I thought. So there was a chance for reconstruction after all...
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #932
jumping_jack
midnight talker

do you argue with yourself ?
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #933
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping_jack View Post
do you argue with yourself ?
I don't argue with myself. I just spotted a mistake in my post
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #934
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #935
seba65536

Likes (Received): 3315

Quote:
Kaliningrad as a city maybe isn't that strategic, but region of Kaliningrad is very important for Russia and was for USSR. Look at how, after the fall of USSR, Rossia has kept Kaliningrad, even when they allowed Baltic states to secede. So there is this big gap between Kaliningrad district and the rest of Russia.

Russians keep ballistic missiles in Kaliningrad so their range cover the whole Poland and nearby states. Russian general even said a few years ago, that they will target their nuclear missiles at Poland . Russians are funny like that They are angry because of Poland-USA missile defence pact. But they kept missiles in Kaliningrad before, just conventional - to destroy airports in an event of war. And now they say they'll put nuclear ones there also, for good measure

More realistic - Russians change their stance on whether to allow Polish ships to go from the Baltic sea to the Vistula Gulf (the only way between the Gulf that is on Polish territory mostly, and the sea, is throught the strait near Kaliningrad, on Russian territory) at a whim, and use that as a political argument. Poles want to dig a canal between Vistula Gulf and Baltic Sea on Polish territory, but ecological concerns has stoped that for many years now.

Kaliningrad region is very important strategicaly.
seba65536 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:50 AM   #936
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

In Sofia

by mandjasgrozde

Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:27 AM   #937
Nimitz13a
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Well I live in Tirana.
Nimitz13a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #938
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

del

Last edited by rychlik; March 4th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #939
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

New airport in Wroclaw (Poland). It's a beauty!
By grzybson88

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...12903&page=226
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #940
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Gorgeous building! But is this a revitalization?
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, classic architecture, classic europe, england, france, georgia, revitalization, stipson