daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #321
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
That's absolutely right. It was even sold out before construction started. Although the apartment price increases with height, the upper apartments were generally sold first. There is surely a high demand for highrise apartments in Hamburg, especially with such great views over the harbour or the city.

@Frankfurt ffm.
Such modern highrises have absolutely nothing to do with social housing highrises constructed in the 1970s. Don't know why you use them for comparison.
I don't use them. Most Germans have prejudice against highrise living... And most people associate them.
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #322
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

But you are aware that commie blocks and luxury highrises have a completely different concept and target group?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #323
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58049

Neither Hamburg nor Germany nor Europe needs highrises. We got churches.
And old towns. And beautiful scenery.

Wouldn't make sense to destroy all the historical cityscapes of bigger European cities. Just imagine they'd build a 300m phallus in Prague

It might be ok for post-war-architecture dominated cities such as Rotterdam, Frankfurt or Canary Wharf in London.

But it wouldn't suit Hamburg.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #324
goschio
proud Kuffar

Hafencity is not really a historical district of Hamburg. Erbse. There should be moderate highrise development allowed outside of the city center.

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #325
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
But you are aware that commie blocks and luxury highrises have a completely different concept and target group?
I know that. I am not dumb. I have already lived in such a highrise! But there seems to be no market for them here. Otherwise the WOULD build them!
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #326
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Hafencity is not really a historical district of Hamburg. Erbse. There should be moderate highrise development allowed outside of the city center.
But too close to the city centre! If you are in the centre, a 350m-tower would be visible. But yes, 80 or 90-m-towers would not be too overtowering the inner city. BUT: A bunch of 90-m-midrises looks pretty ridiculous! Just look at some cities in emerging countries. No skyscrapers, just a bunch of midrise buildings mostly kitsch and bad taste. No way....
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #327
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Neither Hamburg nor Germany nor Europe needs highrises. We got churches.
And old towns. And beautiful scenery.

Wouldn't make sense to destroy all the historical cityscapes of bigger European cities. Just imagine they'd build a 300m phallus in Prague

It might be ok for post-war-architecture dominated cities such as Rotterdam, Frankfurt or Canary Wharf in London.

But it wouldn't suit Hamburg.
That is what I said. Hamburg is not a mid-highrise-skyscraper-city!
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #328
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
I know that. I am not dumb. I have already lived in such a highrise! But there seems to be no market for them here. Otherwise the WOULD build them!
The oval was sold out before construction started. There is obviously a high demand. Its just not easy for investor to bring such projects through because of regulations. And for Germany, luxury apartments are still new, so obviously investors are a bit careful in the beginning. Hope this will change in the future and we will see more construction.

Old September 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #329
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Are you kidding? It's right next to the Speicherstadt, one of the best preserved historical districts of Hamburg. And it's just a stone's throw from the historical core.

And as the Brausepöter said, some 100m-gherkins would look ridiculous and bigger towers would destroy the cityscape at this place. I think the Elbphilharmonie must be the peak of this quarter. Additional towers around 100m would take away its dominance and therefore destroy the whole concept imo.

Old September 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #330
goschio
proud Kuffar

Most of it is cleared industrial area. Please.

There are many spots where you could build some nice solitaires. You don't have to build it right on top of the Speicherstadt. But I don't think we will ever agree on this issue.

Old September 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #331
erbse
LIBERTINED

Well, I agree that Hamburg actually could cope with highrises. But they've gotta be somewhat clustered and iconic. Pretty much the only place where this would be possible is Chicago Square. You know, skyscrapers can be an exciting add to an old existing cityscape, but they have to be placed at the right spots. Especially in ze Hansestadt.

Have you ever been to Hamburg, btw?

Old September 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #332
aliveinchains

Likes (Received): 508

Quote:
I don't use them. Most Germans have prejudice against highrise living... And most people associate them.

Could you please proof this theory? Has anybody made any research connected with living preferences of German society? I can't see so much cultural differences between Germans and citizens of Holland where appartment towers are in offer...
I suppose that mainly severe and inflexible planning regulations is the main reason why high appartments are not built in most German cities...
aliveinchains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #333
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

The Chicago Square plan looks awesome and admittedly swells up the old civic pride a bit. Hopefully my city can lay a befitting tribute to Hamburg in return some day.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #334
Waxo Khana
Private Variable

Likes (Received): 1755

Elbphilharmonie and more September 2008

Quelle: Elbphilharmonie.de

mb92 liked this post
Waxo Khana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #335
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveinchains View Post

Could you please proof this theory? Has anybody made any research connected with living preferences of German society? I can't see so much cultural differences between Germans and citizens of Holland where appartment towers are in offer...
I suppose that mainly severe and inflexible planning regulations is the main reason why high appartments are not built in most German cities...
There isn't much demand for highrise luxury apartments in Germany. They are trying to test some bigger versions of apartment buildings. But you will never see a 30storey building rising. BTW: If it was only height regulations by the authorities then please tell me WHY does Frankfurt city hall approve the 200m and taller skyscrapers. And why do you see the highrises being built in Bonn, Cologne, Düsseldorf and the Chicago Square development (having options to exceed 350m) got approved? The reason is that they are commercial and have the chance to be sold out. The attempt by German developers do not include highrise residentials. Anbd I don't know what should be negative about it. I personally do not want a bunch of 60 to 100m midrises spoiling the cityscapes like they do in many regions of the world.
And you are pretty wrong in saying that Dutch and Germany are culturally soooo close. Dutch people are surely more open to highrise living than most Germans. And honestly: I prefer the view from my house on an elevated point of the city rather than deviding my space with 500 neighbours in just one building!
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #336
frank hannover

Likes (Received): 25

man , I just love those aerials, great job.
frank hannover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #337
Waxo Khana
Private Variable

Likes (Received): 1755

http://www.marcopolotower.de/

mb92 liked this post
Waxo Khana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #338
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Nice one! I like it's design a lot...
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #339
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Nice one! I like it's design a lot...
Totally agree. But didn't you say you don't like to see highrises in the Hafencity?

Old October 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #340
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Totally agree. But didn't you say you don't like to see highrises in the Hafencity?
I don't want to see it messed up totally with highrises. But this one isn't that tall. It will not stand out from street level. So it is okay...

Tags
architecture forum, architektur forum, elbe, hafen, hafencity, hamburg, harbour, harbourcity, landscaping, landschaftsgestaltung, projects, projekte, stadtentwicklung, urban development, urbanisation, urbanization