daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #521
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57855

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Agreed. Are all those plots we see in the pictures going to be developed?
Yes, they are.

HafenCity is Europe's biggest urban development area for years.

Masterplan for the whole area:

Sandtorkai quarter: 2003-05
Dalmannkai quarter: 2004-07
Am Sandtorpark quarter: 2005-07
Grasbrook quarter: 2005-07
Strandkai quarter: 2012-14
Überseequartier: 2007-11
Brooktorkai quarter: 2005-07 (Ericusspitze from 2012 on)
Östlich Magdeburger Hafen (‘East Magdeburg Harbour’) quarter: 2007-10
Lohsepark quarter: 2017-20
Oberhafen quarter: 2013-19
Baakenhafen quarter: 2010-22
Elbbrückenzentrum (‘Elbe Bridges Office Park’) quarter: from 2022 on

HafenCity around 2017:

All from: http://www.hafencity.com/en/concepts...asterplan.html

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #522
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9775

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Yes, they are.

HafenCity is Europe's biggest urban development area for years.
Sorry for derailing the tread, but the fjordcity project in Oslo, Norway appears to be larger if the numbers on the Hafencitys page is correct. Fjordcity is about 220hectare while Hafencity is claimed to be 157 hectare (according to hafencity.com).

Ji-Ja-Jot, Highcliff liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #523
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27208

If you really want to have an answer to that question you should e-mail the hafen-city office and ask why they claim to be the biggest inner-city development project. I think they are aware of other big projects in Europe before they claimed to be the biggest.
Here we can only guess and start one of those very unfunny city vs. city "my dick is bigger" bashing
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #524
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
If you really want to have an answer to that question you should e-mail the hafen-city office and ask why they claim to be the biggest inner-city development project. I think they are aware of other big projects in Europe before they claimed to be the biggest.
Here we can only guess and start one of those very unfunny city vs. city "my dick is bigger" bashing
I'm just saying, based on the numbers they use to promote it with, then there are at least two (London also got one that claims to be bigger: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1619458) project of larger scale going on in Europe. I don't know if their numbers are correct though and I don't really have any way to check if they are either.

I think Hafencity is a nice development so I'm not trying to belittle it ... I'm just trying to correct what appears to me to be incorrect information.

Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #525
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

np...

basically I don't care if there is a project with more hectar. It is always a question how you draw the boarders around your project area. For the Fjord city I would say from at a frist glance (by the way, great projects there. Why is this not promoted more in the World development forums?) that more or less three seperated main areas/quarters are only conected with tiny areas directly at the banks instead of a beeing a single quarter like HafenCity or NineElms in London.
But as I said it is meaningless. I am sure Oslo has more project areas directly boardering Fjord City as London has projects boardering Nine Elms as Hamburg has projects boardering the Hafencity which all can count to this project if someone decides so...

For example HafenCity itself is only a smaller part of a bigger development in Hamburg called "Sprung über die Elbe" with easily several 1000 hectars of development area all boardering each other and which are build simultaneously until 2025-2030(there will be always delays).
Here is an airpicture with "Sprung über die Elbe" developent areas highlighted. The Hafencity is dissapearing in the mist in the north of the picture. The southern end of the "Sprung über die Elbe" is at the bottom of the picture (Channel Harburg project)
[img]http://i43.************/2yjvolt.jpg[/img]

older masterplan with hafencity and its neighbouring development areas for the "Sprung über die Elbe"
(Elbbrückenzentrum to the right, Kleiner Grasbrook/Veddel redevelopment south. Even this three areas togehter
are already > 300 hectare)

Model (hafencity not even in the picture)

Once I tried to render all projects of the "Sprung über die Elbe" into a self made overview map togehter with an even bigger project (infrastructual Masterplan for the harbour) but at one point I gave up, so I missed 50% here...
http://cf-jot.deviantart.com/art/Ham...%3Acf-jot&qo=1

Several projects of this development like The Channel, Elbbrückenzentrum and IBA are listed in the other Hamburg-Thread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1526747

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; May 12th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #526
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

Hamburg is the most beautiful big city in Germany!

Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #527
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

It is hard to follow news about these projects without speaking German... is the OMA Science Center officially dead? I thought there was a redesign not too long ago.

Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post
thebackdoorman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #528
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

It is officially not dead.
(But to be honest: I don't see any chance of a realisation after the financial Elbphilharmony desaster)
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #529
:jax:

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
basically I don't care if there is a project with more hectar. It is always a question how you draw the boarders around your project area. For the Fjord city I would say from at a frist glance (by the way, great projects there. Why is this not promoted more in the World development forums?) that more or less three seperated main areas/quarters are only conected with tiny areas directly at the banks instead of a beeing a single quarter like HafenCity or NineElms in London.
Developers like to claim the largest/longest/tallest construction under (so-and-so conditions), and SSC likes to ferret them out. For instance the recently completed Line 10 in Beijing is deemed the longest circular all-underground tunnel served by a single metro ring line. Change the parameters and another metro "wins". Line 10 is twice as long as the CERN Large Hadron Collider And Destroyer Of Worlds, which presumably would be the longest circular all-underground tunnel lined with superconducting magnets. Anyway, most largest/longest/tallest would go to China, or at least Asia.

What I find more interesting is that HafenCity and Fjord City and other project like Western Harbour in Malmö share more than background, a post-industrial rejuvenation of harbour zones, but also style and attitude, a common way of doing waterfronts in the 2010s. To me they also seem "Northern European", recent waterfront projects I've seen elsewhere have had a different feel to them. That may be because I haven't been around enough of course.

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #530
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Whats the social mix going to be like here?

El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #531
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 886

I guess we'll survive even without knowing if the Hafencity is the actual biggest development in Europe.

Instead, it would be interesting to know how the process of the integration to the local "urban fabric" is going on. Is the district already vastly populated?

Ji-Ja-Jot, erbse, Highcliff liked this post
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #532
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

in the north of it and west of it. The south not yet.

After derailing, lets bring this back on track

Quote:
Agreed. Are all those plots we see in the pictures going to be developed?
Yes. For example... An quick overview of projects U/C and confirmed for one of those airial pictures...
[IMG]http://i41.************/2j6wsx.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #533
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Likes (Received): 2298

One of the aspects that I like and appreciate the most about the whole development of this area, is its architecture. There doesn't seem to be an urge to build nothing but stand-out spectacular architecture, but countrary: the architecture is modest - simple, respectful and still every building is designed to have its individual character. And then here and there, there's a landmark that really stands out, thanks to the modesty of the general development. Very classy!

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
Puinkabouter está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #534
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34645

Great projects, i love the Hafencity and this new quarters in middle of the Elbe with all this bridges and the see!

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #535
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

First Building designs for the Baakenhafen quarter confirmed.

[IMG]http://i41.************/dfrro.jpg[/IMG]

It looks as if the six "Watertowers" are going to be a combination of the two first placed ideas by the Shigeru Ban Architects Europe (Paris)

and Studio Gang Architects, Chicago, (USA)
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #536
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Fantastic stuff.

El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #537
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57855

Yeah, really cool development there, will be a very interesting quarter.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #538
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Hamburg truly is one of the great European cities

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #539
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Whats the social mix going to be like here?
That's what I'd like to know too. Hope it won't be just for the rich.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #540
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

What have been already build (the western part of the HC) is mostly for the upper class.
Here you can see the rents for the currently available flats. All cold-rents are between 1200-2999€ per month (cold means without heating and further costings)
http://www.immobilienscout24.de/immo.../hafencity.htm

I visited two flats and what you get for the money is totally overpriced and among the most expensive flats in Hamburg in case of €/m². More expensive than best areas around the Alster lake and Elbe-Quarters.

That's why (on medias and political pressure) the HafenCity planners rewrote their
masterplan. For the new central Quarters are social-flats planned and already builded
The recently compleated project "Hafenliebe" contains 200 public authority-supported apartments

Current U/C project at Shanghaiallee will contain 30% social housing with prices per m² of 5,90€ instead the the usual average of 17 per m² in hafencity ...

We will see if this will lower the rents a bit. But if this will not work I am sure the unstoppable Spiderinvasion will do it

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; May 15th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Tags
architecture forum, architektur forum, elbe, hafen, hafencity, hamburg, harbour, harbourcity, landscaping, landschaftsgestaltung, projects, projekte, stadtentwicklung, urban development, urbanisation, urbanization