daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2005, 03:03 AM   #41
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaD
birminghamculture why are you insulting people, and calling them children just because they dont like it? Its not exactly hard to see why so many of us think its crap is it?
Someone calling it a "Big Lump of Cheese" then continuing it deserves the response of a child.

If they cant discuss it properly then they shoudlnt at all. They obviously have no concept of the word "architecture".

P.S Why is it crap? because of a un-clear render? Read the discription, try and understand it. Never judge a book by its cover.
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #42
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
Someone calling it a "Big Lump of Cheese" then continuing it deserves the response of a child.

If they cant discuss it properly then they shoudlnt at all. They obviously have no concept of the word "architecture".

P.S Why is it crap? because of a un-clear render? Read the discription, try and understand it. Never judge a book by its cover.
Its that all you can come up with childish. I hate these people on forums that try and use childish because someone else doesnt agree.

P.S. Your the one coming up with "bland" and then saying it won something and I find it hard to believe that something like this has even been planned let alone approved. And it does look like a big lump of cheese, what else can you compare it to.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #43
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

No, people are considering it crap because it's ugly.

You can still come up with innovating designs without them having to look like crap, or cheese in other people's cases.
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #44
Citrus-Fruit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I wouldnt bother BC, but you're quite right - bunch of toddlers.

I like it very much, but im a bit unsure about the cladding. Saying that everything comes out better then in renders.
Citrus-Fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #45
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit
I wouldnt bother BC, but you're quite right - bunch of toddlers.

I like it very much, but im a bit unsure about the cladding. Saying that everything comes out better then in renders.
And your a tosser.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #46
Citrus-Fruit
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
And your a tosser.
That spelt correctly - "And you're a tosser"
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #47
james2390

^If you're going to play it that way, I see quite a few mistakes in your post.
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #48
kids

Likes (Received): 175

hmm, i had a feeling you'd do that. you can't impose opinions on people, and you can't call them toddlers if they don't agree with you. If andy see's it as a lump of cheese, so be it.
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #49
Citrus-Fruit
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2390
^If you're going to play it that way, I see quite a few mistakes in your post.
Is there?
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #50
james2390

Yep.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #51
sergionni

Likes (Received): 455

building is nice , in fact could have been even simpler! the fact that many people hate it is because they are some horny adolescents and that they don’t understand that building doesn’t have to be skyscraper or a structure with facade and roof to bee good. nowadays the most appreciated structures are the ones that doesn’t look like house stereotype
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #52
Britannia
Yorkshire Pud

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Brittania, you're about as optimistic as a turd. Stop being so plain boring and pesismistic will you. Do you actually have anything good to say about anything that isnt from London or in the north?
Grow up mate... if you're going to do a post about a building, accept that not everyone's going to like it. You've been nothing but an offensive pratt in this thread... try actually asking people why they don't like it instead of abusing them.

I actually think Beetham Tower is a great building, having had a tour of it, but I also happen to think Selfridges is very poor, having gone up close and seen what the facade is actually made of! But I'm not such a fan of tall buildings that I'll support anything... this particular scheme looks crap, as do all Make schemes so far... I'm not impressed (reminds me of Will Alsop... superficially fun and exciting, but at the end of the day it's just bad, short-term architecture). Tall buildings need to be slender... this is a 17-storey lump that would blight the skyline and cast huge shadows, not to mention age extremely quickly and probably look very depressing on a grey day.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #53
birminghamculture
BANNED

If you read it then you would come across a post from me asking why they didnt like it.

Someone continuing in every post stating "did the 3 blind mice judge it" etc is not exactly constructive is it? dimwit.

Now get of your high horse and go try and insert your authority on a different thread.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #54
Britannia
Yorkshire Pud

What makes you think I'm trying to assert my authority (what authority??)... I just made a comment about the building and you were rude in response... there's no need for it.

Last edited by Britannia; June 11th, 2005 at 08:23 PM.
Britannia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #55
ManchesterISwonderful
Sometimes I, fan-ta-sise

Quote:
Now get of your high horse and go try and insert your authority on a different thread.

Ironic.

and explain to me how anyone's criticism can be construed as constructive in this thread?

It can't be if you knew what 'constructive criticism' actually meant.

Fact is, you've posted a picture of a proposal. Either you'll get positive responses or negative. . . mostly negative in this case, because the design looks aesthetically challenged.

Now how hard is that to understand?
ManchesterISwonderful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #56
caw123
Hit the north!

Brumculture, just accept it, alot of people are not fans of this building. To be honest it is hard to be constructive with a building such as this, as the only 'constructive' criticism I could give is 'CHANGE EVERYTHING!'. IMO it's a very daring design but I cannot stand it and would never have this building in Manchester. Worse than most 60s mistakes.

I find it hilarious that you are having a go at Brittania, the man is a planner and has more knowledge of how these things work than 99.9% of us on the forum ever will!

If anyone is being childish BC, it's clearly you. You have a problem with people having their opinion. You then go out labelling Manchester architecture 'bland', accusing people of being the same person and generally throwing your toys out of the pram. You've been brigged for this sort of thing before, maybe you should learn from that.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #57
birminghamculture
BANNED

You all shit in the same bucket.

If this would be in Manchester - it would never get permission blah blah blah.

Manchester planners follow same old, same old - Caw im not even ging to explain myself. When 3 teenage mancunians come along talking about cheese and the 3 blind mice ... It just aint funny - If I put this thread here to become comedy central I would've said it.
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #58
Skopie

I realy don't like it. For one it's too bulky, and I don't like the way spikes seem to have been randomly plonked on it. The yellow colour is disgusting. Also the elevated walkway won't have a good impact on the street scene surrounding the building. Overall it's way too gimmicky, even worse than the vortex.
Skopie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #59
birminghamculture
BANNED

MAKE Architects to Create Final Phase of The Mailbox
June 10 2005

Ken Shuttleworth’s MAKE Architects have been announced as the overall winner in the concept design competition for the final phase of The Mailbox.

Their winning entry entitled, ‘The Cube’ beat off exceptionally strong competition from leading London and Birmingham practices to snatch the coveted prize of becoming architects for the final phase of The Mailbox. Now appointed, the MAKE team will set to work on preparing the iconic design for planning permission from the city council.

Alan Chatham Director of Birmingham Development Company (BDC), who are behind this final phase, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the talent and effort which each of the architects has displayed. It was extremely difficult to choose the first place practice, but in the end the judging panel were unanimous that make should be elected as the winner.”

With an atrium which twists round as it climbs to the full height of the building, the 17 storey steel and glass ‘mathematically pure’ cube structure is enclosed by an innovative fretwork screen with a cut-a-way open side facing away from the canal at the top. It is hoped the unique building will become the next opportunity to put the city on the architectural world stage.

The £60 million project will be an extension of the existing mixed-use offering in The Mailbox, with 390,000 sq ft of accommodation housing high quality residential, offices, restaurants, a small boutique hotel and retail intended to be aimed at the home wares sector. There will also be a rooftop restaurant, reached by a scenic glass lift offering panoramic views over the city.

Having worked with Sir Norman Foster at Foster and Partners on projects such as the Swiss Re building, otherwise known as The Gherkin, Ken Shuttleworth founded MAKE in January 2004; this is thought to be a pivotal project for the young practice, who now hope to open a Birmingham office following their second important instruction in the city.

Ken Shuttleworth commented: "We are absolutely delighted, this is our second high profile project in Birmingham, following Digbeth coach station, and we hope to be able to open a Birmingham office on the strength of winning this competition.”

Five invited practices entered the six week competition alongside MAKE; these included the original designers of The Mailbox, Associated Architects; Marks Barfield, the creators of the London Eye; D5, known for their terminal extension at Birmingham Airport; Glenn Howells Architects, who are currently working on the Liverpool Lime Street project and Kinetic AIU, who designed Birmingham’s Kingsbury Locks.

Glenn Howells produced a stunning slender 28 storey rectangular tower, which would provide stunning reflections on the adjacent canal; D5 used an innovative concept to design a unique building to stand out from other developments in Birmingham and reflect the complexity of the concept with a number of cantilevers, levels and materials; Marks Barfield designed three twisting gold towers, emerging from a garden podium; Kinetic designed dual buildings focused around a piazza with an encircling crystalline louvered skin to give the scheme an instantly recognisable identity; Associated Architects followed the theme of a sanctuary to develop a scheme which would encourage people into the centre of the scheme where an inner courtyard would continue the exclusive ambiance of the original Mailbox.

The public will have the unusual opportunity to view all six final submissions in a week long exhibition taking place as part of the Architecture Week events taking place at The Mailbox from June 17-26.

With MAKE now crowned as the winner, Birmingham Development Company have already entered the pre planning application process with the aim to start on site at the beginning of 2006 with total completion scheduled for 2007.

Alan continued: “The process has been a very creative and enjoyable one and we now look forward to moving on to our pre-application planning discussion with the planning team at Birmingham City Council, and the many other consultations we intend to have with interested parties.”
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #60
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Dont apoligise, its never gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

Its like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

It wants to rival this Building which is covered in 15,000 alluminium discs.

This building I love.....the cube is awful, though. It looks too stubby and it looks like the outside is covered with shredded wheat. I love the other buildings shown of B'ham, but the cube is a disappointment.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote