daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #21
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunn
The product of a broken home in the rough Jamaica neighborhood of Queens and, in turn, the storied hood's hustling streets themselves, 50 lived everything most rappers write rhymes about but never actually experience: drugs, crimes, imprisonments, stabbings, and, most infamously of all, shootings

sounds lovely.
I don't listen to such music as 50 cent is famous for, I prefer civilised music. I live a mile north of the Citibank building shown on the picture above in Queens, never heard of any shooting in the vicinity. Queens is a large bourough more than 2.2 million people live in it and I guess various parts have different reputation.
chris9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #22
tommygunn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9
I don't listen to such music as 50 cent is famous for, I prefer civilised music. I live a mile north of the Citibank building shown on the picture above in Queens, never heard of any shooting in the vicinity. Queens is a large bourough more than 2.2 million people live in it and I guess various parts have different reputation.
hmm ok i beleive you.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #23
sfenn1117

Likes (Received): 1

The Jamaica neighborhood of Queens also consists of Jamaica Hills, one of the most wealthiest neighborhoods in the city, with its sprawling mansions and curvy roads. Most of Queens is blue collar, some is wealthy like Bayside, Douglaston, Belle Harbor, some is poor but not dangerous like Broad Channel and Far Rockaway. Most of Queens is surprisingly suburban. In Cambria Hts and Rosedale its just blocks upon blocks of cape cod houses. The roughest borough is probably the Bronx (even the Bronx has rich parts, Riverdale, City Island, Country Club), and small, isolated portions of Brooklyn. But it's been cleaned up so much the past couple decades its remarkable.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #24
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Queens is the biggest borough of NEW YORK CITY, I live in Jackson Heights , which is a landmarked neighborhood. Upper middle class and very safe....

a few photos of Queens...

World biggest globe..

The Hall Of Science Museum....

the Towers featured in Men In Black movie...

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; June 18th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #25
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

If you really want a skyline in Queens, then you should probably go to Flushing, not LIC.

Old June 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #26
Desven
...und so halt!

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Hm, maybe you mean the Bronx, although New York City is the safest big city in the United States and as every city that size has some more and less dangerous areas. I am not afraid to go outside at night whereas I wouldn't do that in cities like Atlanta, Jackson or Dallas.
so american rappers like 50 cent (who comes from Queens) are not authentic?!!
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #27
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desven
so american rappers like 50 cent (who comes from Queens) are not authentic?!!
Sie beschreiben einen Welt der sieht fűr mich fremd aus. Ja, Ich kann "nicht authentisch" sagen.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #28
Desven
...und so halt!

Likes (Received): 12

in english:they are little babys who think they live in a ghetto,when they see one beggar!
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #29
tommygunn

Likes (Received): 0

chris9 does not live in new york i know that for sure if 50 cent used to lived a mile from your house you would kknow about whether you like his music or not.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #30
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunn
chris9 does not live in new york i know that for sure if 50 cent used to lived a mile from your house you would kknow about whether you like his music or not.
You can visit me personally at 3252 33rd street in Queens, I'll be waiting for you outside - just tell me you're coming. How about a beer at the corner of 33rd and Broadway in Cafe Kolonaki? Why I don't live in NYC - because I answered in German to a guy above so I obviously live in Germany? I speak 3 languages it is useful in New York.
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:06 AM   #31
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 46

Queens is an extremely diverse borough. Like the other boroughs, there are more well-to-do parts and less well-to-do parts. The borough of Queens also is home to more nationalities than any other piece of land in the world. Just taking NYC Subway's 7 line takes you past neighborhoods where over 90 ethnicities are represented.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:48 AM   #32
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
You can visit me personally at 3252 33rd street in Queens, I'll be waiting for you outside - just tell me you're coming. How about a beer at the corner of 33rd and Broadway in Cafe Kolonaki? Why I don't live in NYC - because I answered in German to a guy above so I obviously live in Germany? I speak 3 languages it is useful in New York.
You're in Astoria eh? Very cool.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:19 AM   #33
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewtc
You're in Astoria eh? Very cool.
Indeed. This is how I see our lonely Queens tower from my roof.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM   #34
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Indeed. This is how I see our lonely Queens tower from my roof.
Very nice view! I'm in Astoria myself, the skyline shots from here are great.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM   #35
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewtc
Very nice view! I'm in Astoria myself, the skyline shots from here are great.
This is from the roof where I live, taken several days (nights) ago.

Last edited by chris9; June 23rd, 2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #36
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

FOOL!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desven
in english:they are little babys who think they live in a ghetto,when they see one beggar!
You are stupid though some rappers are fake most arent go to the ghetto in Atlanta i want to see how long u would last without getting jumped. New York now has a very low crime rate for its size there are poor areas of queens 50 cent has been shot its in his medical records and u must remeber the very low crime rate is pretty recent back into the early 90's u couldnt say the same thing about that area.

You are from germany when i went to europe i heard the fakest most awful hip hop, european hip hop is so fake and just copying america but not succesfully. Sorry but you are incredibly wrong about american hip hop and like a few germans i know are trying to make germany look better than america so typical. Shut up think before you say next time because u wouldnt last long in an american ghetto .

Anyway that building is nice my question is how did it end up just being build there without being in a commercial plaza or something? Strange it would look good in a medium sized city downtown.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #37
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Queens is home to a number of ethnic groups that include Israelies, Greeks, Pakastanies, Indians, Koreans, Japaneese, Eurasians, Latin Americans, etc.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #38
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

I think that that tower looks ok al alone
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #39
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
You are stupid though some rappers are fake most arent go to the ghetto in Atlanta i want to see how long u would last without getting jumped. New York now has a very low crime rate for its size there are poor areas of queens 50 cent has been shot its in his medical records and u must remeber the very low crime rate is pretty recent back into the early 90's u couldnt say the same thing about that area.

You are from germany when i went to europe i heard the fakest most awful hip hop, european hip hop is so fake and just copying america but not succesfully. Sorry but you are incredibly wrong about american hip hop and like a few germans i know are trying to make germany look better than america so typical. Shut up think before you say next time because u wouldnt last long in an american ghetto .

Anyway that building is nice my question is how did it end up just being build there without being in a commercial plaza or something? Strange it would look good in a medium sized city downtown.

Yes, when you get into the ghetto the United States becomes one tough place to live. I remember seeing movies from the 80's and early 90's when you would see NYC subways covered in grafitti. It looks like NYC has cleaned up alot. My parents always tell me how dangerous the city is but from what I saw last summer it's not that bad.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #40
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

18% of the US Citizens lives in poverty. That's a very high level for a developped country, that's why there are ghetto's in the USA.
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote