daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #21
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Hey don't shoot me, just stating the obvious.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #22
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Great Job ThreeHundred! Dont Forget to add the new Venture Proposal for Three towers, 40 , 25 and 18 stories, and the second south group project for the same area around Elleven that will have 3 towers over 30 stories as well as Luma at 19 stories and Evo (phase three) at 24 stories. Great job once again.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #23
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Some Awesome projects in Los Angeles.

Oh and scorpion, don't mind the childish jealous people.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #24
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
Some Awesome projects in Los Angeles.

Oh and scorpion, don't mind the childish jealous people.
Jealous? I thought I was showing off in saying "one of Toronto's Boroughs has more development." Yeah, I know cocky. But Mississauga (Toronto Suburb), has much more, and is probably on the verge of having more highrises than LA, even though Toronto's population is a fraction of LA's, by 2009 we'll have well over 2,000 highrises.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #25

Likes (Received): 0

yeah but having more highrises doesnt necesarily make toronto or its boroughs better than LA. LA is more spread out so we don't really need as many highrises. no one even knows what the hell a mississauga is, so it doesnt really matter that it has more highrises than la
627 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #26
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeTheOnly
Jealous? I thought I was showing off in saying "one of Toronto's Boroughs has more development." Yeah, I know cocky. But Mississauga (Toronto Suburb), has much more, and is probably on the verge of having more highrises than LA, even though Toronto's population is a fraction of LA's, by 2009 we'll have well over 2,000 highrises.
Well, you must be jealous or cocky as you say, to come into a LA Metro Area Development thread to mention how well Toronto and its boroughs are doing compared to Los Angeles.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #27
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

well, all I was trying to say was LA developments cannot compare to a suburb of Toronto, Y make a thread, for example.

Downtown has 900 highrises
North York has 425 highrises
Scarborough has 250 highrises
Mississauga has 225 highrises
Etobicoke has 250 highrises

For a city of 15,000,000 metro, you can't compare to a city of 5,600,000?
and for foreigners LA has 390 highrises. Compared to North York in number of highrises and in number of projects The Great LA falls. What I'm really trying to say is that in North America, LA may fall off the map and be replaced by Chicago...AND Toronto.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #28
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #29
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3704

No proposed supertalls?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #30
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
What I'm really trying to say is that in North America, LA may fall off the map and be replaced by Chicago...AND Toronto.
Only to skyscraper geeks. To the rest of the world, LA is a world-class entertainment and recreation destination, and is commonly regarded among the top 10 cities in the world. We may not have as many skyscrapers as Toronto, but opportunistic developers, a strong real estate market and land use limits are slowly but surely working to reverse that. It may take a long while, though.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #31
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
well, all I was trying to say was LA developments cannot compare to a suburb of Toronto, Y make a thread, for example.

Downtown has 900 highrises
North York has 425 highrises
Scarborough has 250 highrises
Mississauga has 225 highrises
Etobicoke has 250 highrises

For a city of 15,000,000 metro, you can't compare to a city of 5,600,000?
and for foreigners LA has 390 highrises. Compared to North York in number of highrises and in number of projects The Great LA falls. What I'm really trying to say is that in North America, LA may fall off the map and be replaced by Chicago...AND Toronto.
While I have nothing bad to say about Toronto, what the hell do you mean that LA will fall off the map? Prove it. Until then, go away.
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:06 AM   #32
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

LOL, I know I'm being a jerk but what I was trying to say was.

Toronto 5,600,000
LA 15,000,000,000

Toronto 1,600 Highrises
LA 425 Highrises

For some reason I notice that big american cities SEVERELY lack highrises, or maybe it is that Canadians have a fetish for highrises?
In terms of percapita, Canada has about double the amount of highrises than America.

Some wonder why a Toronto suburb can have more highrises than:
Atlanta
Minneapolis
Miami
Denver
Detroit
Seattle
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

The same people wonder why Mississaga and LA have the same amount of proposals, 21, and the same exact amount approved, 3. While Toronto in population is quater of LA's size and has 174 proposals, 107 approved, and 53 underconstruction.

All of the development, if all complete will add the nearly number of TOTAL highrises in a city of nearly 20,000,000.

Now do you understand what I'm saying?
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:28 AM   #33
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

LA has some great stuff going on. Why pollute this thread?
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:55 AM   #34

Likes (Received): 0

heres a thought.. in LA you hardly see any highrise apartment buildings (the onlyones i know of are the ones along wilshire). apartment buldings are normally 2 stories high in most places, or maybe 10 in more populated places like along colorado in pasadena or in santamonica. that's probbaly because our weather here is KICKASS n people prefer living in wide spacious homes where they can have their own backyard to enjoy the sun and weather and such, as opposed to having to cage themselves in little apartments up in the sky with lil balconies to chill in.

with that in mind, that owuld mean that pretty much all of the highrises in LA are office buildings, not residential buildings. that rprobably explains the setback

plus there seems to be a shitload of land here out in the valley and the desert and such.. acres of lands that are not even used so why would people build upwards when they can build outward (building outward is much more profitable btw) earthquakes could possibly be a factor too
627 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #35
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto
LA has some great stuff going on. Why pollute this thread?
It's great for a city of 500,000.....not 17,000,000

Let's get off this topic and discuss LA's "great" development.
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:12 AM   #36
G_DOG

Likes (Received): 1

LA's growth was based on sprawl(suburbia like most of the us cities) but now they are really turning it around and building up especially downtown, give them credit for that.
i predict that downtown la will become phenominal as the more and more development
continues .
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM   #37
soup or man
Avant Garde

So..Toronto and it's suburbs having more skyscrapers than LA makes TO a better city?

I'll tell you this much: More people in the world have heard of Pasadena more than they have heard of Missassauga.

Now..with that said, going back to the point of this thread which is Los Angeles Devleopent: What is the Venture project?
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:34 AM   #38
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Venture was recently announced, or actually mentioned in Sam Hall Kaplans Article in Downtown LA News.Com, and its three towers across from staples betwen Fig and Flower, 11th and 12th) The towers are 40, 25 and 17 stories tall.

South Park Surprise Continues

Questions of Whether Downtown Matters Fall Flat When the Area Is Exploding

by Sam Hall Kaplan

There is a heightening debate these days in isolated academic and editorial circles concerning the future of Downtown.
The 25-story residential "Glass Tower," proposed for the corner of 11th Street and Grand Avenue, is one of the numerous high-profile projects adding heat to South Park. Rendering courtesy of Nadel Architects.

Being questioned is the rationale for Downtown in the well-documented wake of the exodus to suburbia and beyond over the last half century of industry, related business, and the mythical middle class. For a time it appeared that all the chroniclers were just waiting for the last person leaving to turn off the lights. That, of course, did not happen.

Now, these persistent commentators are questioning whether anyone should care about downtowns in Los Angeles and elsewhere. Are they worth the public and private investments in cash and concern being made or considered, such as locally in and around Staples Center and Grand Avenue?

Are these evolving downtowns in this post-industrial, information age simply creative constructs for culture and conspicuous consumption catering to the transient young and empty nesters with disposable income?

Indeed, are they "ephemeral cities"? This is the favored phrase of peripatetic local urbanist Joel Kotkin, who in his recently published history The City questions the gentrification of downtowns and champions the resurgence of small businesses, ethnic enclaves and families.

The arguments are provocative, grist for the symposium circuit, classroom colloquies, Op-Ed pages and Downtown dinner parties. It's certainly tempting to weigh in with incisive insight as I did decades ago when documenting declining cities and the emerging dominance of suburbia in a book entitled The Dream Deferred. But that is old news.

Much more interesting is what is actually happening at present in downtowns, and in particular Downtown Los Angeles.

As L.A.'s current commentators in their well-feathered perches in the San Fernando Valley, San Francisco and Seattle continue to cogitate, a critical mass of residents is emerging Downtown as various consortiums and corporations churn out proposals and plans for an array of projects.

If there is one thing constant about cities, it is that they keep changing.

Just a few weeks ago we were focused on the nascent master plans for the projected $1.8 billion Grand Avenue development, envisioning a revived streetscape and several skyscrapers. Now seemingly more interesting and urgent is the architecture and design scene a dozen or so blocks away in South Park.

Indeed, several contemplated projects east of Staples Center hint at the potential of the area becoming unconditionally urban, and an engaging anchor to Downtown, as enticing as the promise of Grand Avenue.

These, which I glimpsed recently, include the proposal for a high-rise residential scheme labeled the "Glass Tower" at the northeast corner of 11th Street and Grand Avenue. As designed by Nadel Architects for the Kalantari Group, the sleek 25-story tower is distinguished by a glass curtain wall, clad to a simple skeletal frame. The effect as presented in a rendering is an eye-catching lightness that the architect Jack Bouvrie described as a "crystalline brittleness."

The tower is to be further heralded in the evenings by an illuminated helipad, in keeping with an urban tradition of glittering skylines. When you've got it, flaunt it, is a lesson Nadel seems to have embraced when retained recently in Las Vegas.

Distinctively modern glass towers also mark a mixed-use complex of 700 units of housing set on a two-story podium of 250,000 square feet of retail and restaurants with a Times Square flair proposed for the critical block bounded by Figueroa, Flower, 11th and 12th streets. The site across from Staples Center is being assembled by a consortium of the Lennar Corporation labeled the "Venture."

The masterly design by the firm of Johnson Fain Partners calls for three towers of 40, 25 and 17 stories, hovering over a promenade fashioned by the skillful Studio 111. The promenade slices the block diagonally and is edged by an array of stores and eateries, anchored by a large neighborhood grocery and a small park.

We are talking here of a design-conscious appeal to foot traffic from both the sports and entertainment venues across the street to the west and from the on-site and adjacent residents to the east. In short, a healthy mix that promises a very urban scene that should animate South Park, and not just on nights the Lakers, Clippers or Kings are playing. Look for an explosion of symbiotic night clubs.

The Johnson and Fain scheme was selected by Lennar in an invited competition that also involved attentive submissions by McLarand Vasquez Emisek; Van Tilburg, Banvard, Soderbergh, and the Jerde Partnership; and Gruen Associates.

No one involved in the ambitious development would comment on the record concerning the particulars of the venture, pending the sale of the land and the signing of appropriate contracts.

However, the competition itself was said to have been intense, and produced some notable designs, indicating an urbanity among the firms that augurs well for South Park, Downtown and the city.

Kaplan is the author of L.A. Lost and Found. He is the former design critic for the Los Angeles Times and a former Emmy Award-winning reporter for FOX 11.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:01 AM   #39
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
So..Toronto and it's suburbs having more skyscrapers than LA makes TO a better city?

I'll tell you this much: More people in the world have heard of Pasadena more than they have heard of Missassauga.

Now..with that said, going back to the point of this thread which is Los Angeles Devleopent: What is the Venture project?

I never said Tdot was a better city? Personally I don't like comparing East & West coast cities. Please don't start comparing now.
The reason why more people have heard of LA sprawl cities is because, LA let sprawl run out of control like a dog with rabies, and since LA is way more exposed than Toronto.

But the whole point of all my "ass hole," posts were basically saying. LA development is trailing...not even trailing.....being overlaped for the 20, or 21st time by Toronto & Chicago.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM   #40
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
I never said Tdot was a better city? Personally I don't like comparing East & West coast cities. Please don't start comparing now.
The reason why more people have heard of LA sprawl cities is because, LA let sprawl run out of control like a dog with rabies, and since LA is way more exposed than Toronto.

But the whole point of all my "ass hole," posts were basically saying. LA development is trailing...not even trailing.....being overlaped for the 20, or 21st time by Toronto & Chicago.
Where are your facts? Back up your statements.