daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #2121
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

This isn't the HSR thread , its the Railway thread...
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2122
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
IMHO, I would retitle this thread as "UNITED STATES | Conventional Passenger", this to differentiate it from both the threads concentrating on 'true' new-ROW high-speed passenger as well as freight services, also retitling the high-speed thread as "UNITED STATES | High-Speed Passenger".

BTW, interestingly, for some-odd reason, the normal word used in the local vernacular here in the USA is 'railroad', not 'railway'.

Mike

mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #2123
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
???

Some weeks ago I posted a news article about such a medium speed line in the US HSR thread and people complained that it is not high speed rail, despite the fact that the journalist wrote it is. So it seams impossible to post about medium speed rail?

Now, have you read that the line is going at 90 mph (145 km/h)? That's *not* High Speed Rail. For a comparison, High Speed Rail in the European Union starts at 125 mph (200km/h). 90 mph is so slow that even old comunist lines in eastern europe can achieve such speed. Their idea that 110 mph would require special distance is also laughable, because it's not really particularly faster then 100mph which is the standard top speed of the best railroads built in 1950s anywhere in the world, which operate normally in the last 60 years without such special requisite.

Journalists and politicians put labels in stuff regardless of what they trully are. In Brazil there are tons of "Metro" systems which are in reality just old diesel trains, sometimes Tram-Train system or even sometimes even common bus lines o.O That doesn't really make them rapid transit, does it? Similarly I can see that US journalists and politicians brand stuff which isn't High Speed Rail as HSR because it is more fancy/sells better to say so.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.

sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2124
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Oh i thought it was higher in the EU , the Northeast defines anything above 120mph as HSR , 80-120mph is Intercity Rail. And Anything below is commuter , but commuter / regional Rail can get up to 120mph.

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2125
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

125mph is high speed rail in europe only if its a conventional upgrade. If its a new line you can't call it high speed until it reaches 155mph.

But yeah I agree with Sekelsenmat - that article is not a high speed rail article. 90-100mph is commuter rail in Europe.

makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #2126
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Walker to seek $150 million from feds for high-speed rail

Gov. Scott Walker announced Tuesday he will seek over $150 million in federal funding for upgrades on the Hiawatha line between Milwaukee and Chicago.

"Upgrading the Hiawatha line will save the state money and improve rail service for Wisconsin customers," Walker said in a statement. "The state will save money immediately on capital costs and in the long‐term with lower operating costs. Service improvements will also enable the state to recover more from ticket sales."

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, Walker's competitor during the 2010 gubernatorial race, said the request "makes sense" and that he would speak with the U.S. Department of Transportation to show his support for the proposal.

The announcement went over well with legislators from both sides of the aisle. State Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Glendale, said he supported not only the idea of improving the Hiawatha line, but also Walker's manner of pursuing the funding.

"I believe the way that Governor Walker is going about this request is a logical and responsible way to ensure this corridor has sufficient capacity to move both people and freight," Stone said in a statement. "The fact we can do this for $20 Million less shows excellent leadership."

Walker previously turned down $810 million in federal funding to build a high-speed rail line from Madison to Milwaukee, often referring to it as a "boondoggle."

Democratic lawmakers also supported the idea, but a handful of them, including Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller, D-Madison, and state Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, took the announcement as an opportunity to seek funding for a line to Madison.

"Other states around us are competing for these federal funds. Our state capitol is also one of the only capitols in the Midwest that does not have train service," the letter from the lawmakers said. "In order to compete for high wage jobs, we need a high tech transportation system."

http://www.dailycardinal.com/news/wa...rail-1.2130458

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.

sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2127
Pete Puma

Likes (Received): 2

Walker really is a tool. That funding he wants was actually included in the original proposal he turned down.

Pete Puma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2128
mnj79

Likes (Received): 72

Nexis: Do you have more info about the Sparta Line project.
10 years ago or more, NJTransit was trying to build a train station in Sparta and connect the town with Hoboken and NYC but the town rejected it. I'm just wondering if Transit is trying to go for it one more time. Thanks

mnj79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2129
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj79 View Post
Nexis: Do you have more info about the Sparta Line project.
10 years ago or more, NJTransit was trying to build a train station in Sparta and connect the town with Hoboken and NYC but the town rejected it. I'm just wondering if Transit is trying to go for it one more time. Thanks
Not till the 2030s....when a project is held up by a town...it is put off for that decade. But there now safe guards in place by counties to prevent this for happening , all the 2040 county plans have Rail / Transit in them...

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #2130
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Last edited by Nexis; April 1st, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2131
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Heavy snow-fighting artillery in California

California's Sierra Nevada mountains are not only an amazing natural resource in the USA, but are also were and remain a formidable barrier to transportation.

The west side of the Sierras are likely best known for snow. Lots of snow. And even more snow. And did I say 'snow'? The 1960 Olympic Winter Games were hosted in that area at a place called Squaw Valley, CA (just a bit east-southeast of Sacramento). And yet, lines of commerce must also flow through that area. Northeastward from Sacramento, CA, I-80 crosses the Sierras, US 50 crosses the Sierras and Union Pacific's ex Southern Pacific, nee Central Pacific mainline (yes, part of the original Transcontinental Railroad), crosses the Sierras, all though the snowiest part, a place called Donner Pass/Donner Summit (look up the 'Donner Party' to see why).

The winter of 2010-2011 has been unusually snowy. Over 18 meters of wet, heavy, sticky snow has fallen at Donner Summit so far this season, over four meters of it within the past week or so. Due to all of this snow clogging up and closing this critically important railroad through the pass, for the first time since 1998, Union Pacific has had to fire up their heaviest snow-fighting artillery - their fleet of rotary snowplows. Think of a single-stage snow thrower on ultra-steroids - that's a rotary.

A couple of days ago, a TV station in Sacramento sent their news helicopter out to get some rare video of one of these impressive machines at work reopening that mainline near Donner Summit. This is truly amazing stuff and it has set North American railfans abuzz. (Note, in addition to large volumes of freight traffic, this line also hosts Amtrak's California Zephyrs.)

http://www.kcra.com/r-video/27364908/detail.html

Enjoy!

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; April 1st, 2011 at 05:04 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2132
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2133
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

Amtrak seeks nearly $1.3B to improve Northeast Corridor rail traffic
5 April 2011

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Amtrak is seeking nearly $1.3 billion to speed trains between Boston and Washington.

The Record newspaper reports Amtrak is seeking $238 million for preliminary engineering and environmental analysis on two new high-speed tunnels between New Jersey and New York and a new Penn Station South in Manhattan.

The tunnels and station are projected to cost $13.5 billion. Amtrak's president says the project would benefit travelers along the entire Northeast Corridor.

Plans also call for replacing the Portal Bridge in New Jersey with a fixed structure that's tall enough for boats to pass under. Officials say the new span, which will connect Kearny and Secaucus, would ease delays for Amtrak and NJ Transit trains.

New Jersey would have to contribute up to $150 million and Amtrak $570 million toward that project.

------

Information from: The Record, http://www.northjersey.com

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2135
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #2136
Nexis
Dark Wolf