daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2201
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Kind of forgetting the Darien Gap, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis
No , because after Allentown the line hits the University of Kutztown , Reading and Hershey all growing areas with alot of people commuting or traveling to NJ or NY or from NJ to PA for tourism & work. Its also going to be an Intercity line , a commuter line will share the tracks between New York / Newark to Allentown and from Reading to Wyomissing. So it will be similar to the popular Keystone service in the southern part of PA or Northeast Regional.
Sounds pretty epic to me!

Last edited by Tom 958; August 28th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2202
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

The environmentalist in me is glad the Darien Gap is essentially unmolested, but then again, a truly pan-American road would be awesome.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2203
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

@ Trenton Transit Center

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2204
Nexis
Dark Wolf

image hosted on flickr

DSC07019 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07017 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Last edited by Nexis; October 7th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2205
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Amtrak trains crash in Oakland, California

(CNN) -- Two Amtrak trains collided in northern California, sending emergency crews rushing to the scene,authorities said late Wednesday.
Multiple injuries were reported in the collision that occurred in Oakland late Wednesday, police said.
Oakland police, emergency personnel and Amtrak authorities have responded to the scene.
No more information was immediately available.
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #2206
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

The collision was between the Coast Starlight, and a San Joaquin train. One train was stopped at the station, when the other rammed into it. Collision speed was 15~20 mph, which an Amtrak spokesman called "low speed", though when you have a massive locomotive at the front, even low speeds produce enormous kinetic energy. A positive train control system, of course, would have prevented such an accident. I suspect the engineer of the moving train ignored the red signal.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #2207
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some of my Amtrak shots , yes i know my Camera is having issues...

Harrison

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2208
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
(CNN) -- Two Amtrak trains collided in northern California, sending emergency crews rushing to the scene,authorities said late Wednesday.
Multiple injuries were reported in the collision that occurred in Oakland late Wednesday, police said.
Oakland police, emergency personnel and Amtrak authorities have responded to the scene.
No more information was immediately available.
Are you going to start posting news stories about every car accident? That would only be fair. Plus there are far more of them and they KILL far more people.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2209
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Are you going to start posting news stories about every car accident? That would only be fair. Plus there are far more of them and they KILL far more people.
Where have I mentioned cars in regard of that accident?

That would be the same of arguing air crashes should not be commented because they are statistically rare and airplanes are safer than any other mode of transportation including walking.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #2210
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

On average, walking ADDS to your lifespan.

(Probably doesn't seem that way to a "man" afraid of his own shadow of course.)
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #2211
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

I've never known a train where you can take your shoes off to walk around it
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #2212
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Where have I mentioned cars in regard of that accident?

That would be the same of arguing air crashes should not be commented because they are statistically rare and airplanes are safer than any other mode of transportation including walking.
I think the issue here is, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this, that you seem to be the only one who consistently posts train crash news. Not that you don't contribute otherwise, but I'm not sure this is the right place to post these sorts of news items. From my perspective, it just seems as though your trying to make trains look unsafe. I may be wrong, it just seems that way to me.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #2213
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post

I've never known a train where you can take your shoes off to walk around it
Well, you do have to realize that:

-1- the USA is a far, far, far more VAST nation than is the UK;
-2- the Sunset Limited (trains 1 and 2) is one of Amtrak's long-distance train pairs, currently operating between Los Angeles and New Orleans (service between New Orleans and Orlando, FL was suspended indefinitely in late summer of 2005 due to Hurricane Katrina); and
-3- according to Amtrak's published timetables, it take a few minutes short of two full days for the train to make the Los Angeles <-> New Orleans trip one-way.

I would suspect that during that 48 hours, one would be most tempted to kick off his or her shoes, sit back and relax for a while.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2214
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Well, i still prefer to keep my shoes on, when leaving sleiaping compatment on such trains, so many other people, i supose.
It's a pity a can't watch a video for a some reason - flash seems to be misinstalled or something :-/
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #2215
donoteat

Likes (Received): 1

Blatantly stole this link from a thread on SkyscraperPage...

image hosted on flickr

(Blatantly stolen from http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=195076)

Freshwater Railway is an enormous and well-designed site for a fictitious transit agency serving the Detroit metropolitan area.

It's also worth it to get the link to the meta-website.
donoteat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #2216
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

I don't know if a system that relied heavily on transferring to local buses to get riders anywhere useful would be successful. Just based on past experience in cities like Miami.
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #2217
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

OTOH there is no good rail or rail-ready easement from either Michigan Central or New Center into downtown Detroit. But Detroit's main growth avenue would seem to be to the northwest, along Woodward Avenue (much as Philadelphia's is west, along Market, and New York's north, along Broadway). And yet Michigan Central is at a maximally efficient point for rail connectivity: it's the closest mainline routing to downtown proper, and it also lies on the natural routing for any international service e.g. Montréal-Chicago via Ottawa, Toronto, and Detroit.

Dealing with this is tough.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #2218
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

Huge news out of Connecticut

This is major. A new station will open in Fairfield, CT next month. This is a brand new station, not a reconstruction or a move from somewhere else. Something new where nothing existed before. A rare event for commuter rail in the United States.

This will be the third station in Fairfield, a suburban town of about 55,000 people (including students at 2 Catholic universities) next to Connecticut's largest city Bridgeport. Like the other 2 stations, this one will be served by Metro North New Haven Line running between Grand Central Terminal (New York City) and New Haven, CT. Amtrak trains will pass through without stopping. Some Amtrak trains call at the next station to the northeast, Bridgeport station.

Now for the catch:
There have been many dates given before, including October and November 2011. Don't be surprised if the first train doesn't run until 7 Jan 2012, the date that Metro North schedules are supposed to change. The schedule that goes into effect on 19 Nov 2011 is supposed to expire on 6 Jan 2012:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/plannin...019%202011.pdf

In the past, Metro North and Connecticut DOT have put out new schedules before the old schedules expired, so there is at least some hope that Fairfield Metro Center station will open in December.

Fairfield Citizen
http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.co...ro-2272672.php

Quote:
DOT: First train rolls into Fairfield Metro station Dec. 5
Genevieve Reilly, Staff Writer
Published 04:40 p.m., Wednesday, November 16, 2011

After more than a decade of planning and controversy that nearly caused the project to derail, state transportation officials said this week the train service is expected to begin at the new Fairfield Metro station on Monday, Dec. 5.

Judd Everhart, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, confirmed the opening date in an email to the Fairfield Citizen.

"All work, including bridge and catenary repairs, will be completed by then," Everhart wrote. He said the state expects to arrange an event to formally mark the opening of the town's third depot on Metro-North Railroad's New Haven Line sometime late in the week of Nov. 28.

The station off lower Black Rock Turnpike was a private-public partnership between the town, the state and a private developer, Blackrock Realty. The journey to the train station's completion began over 10 years ago and was plagued with planning delays, financing problems, a dispute over environmental oversight that sparked a lawsuit, foreclosure on the private developer's share of the property and, most recently, that construction costs had ballooned $7.5 million over budget.

The cost overruns became the town's responsibility under a modified contract with the state negotiated by former First Selectman Kenneth Flatto. Those agreements over the last few months were the subject of sometimes-heated scrutiny by town boards, including a financial audit and review by independent counsel that found the changes were not properly approved.

First Selectman Mike Tetreau worked out an agreement with the state, however, to get up to an additional $3 million -- on top of $19.1 million the state allocated last year -- for the town to complete its share of the project.

"Details are being finalized with the town," Everhart said regarding extra funding, adding he didn't have any more details on that deal.

"Regardless, the station will open Dec. 5," he said.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2219
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/ligh...ty-paying-less

Because I am big enough to admit when I am wrong. Norfolk's light rail is up, and running, and doing fabulously. I never thouught it would.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2220
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
I never thouught it would.
That doesn't surprise me. You are clueless when it comes to the value and importance of public investment

Tags
marc, rail, train