daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2261
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Apparently not. I just looked at Amtrak's site and to go from, say, Washington to
Los Angeles, you have to change either in Chicago or in New Orleans. There used to
be a coast-to-coast train using the Southern route but that seems to have vanished.
They retired the money-losing, $215/full ride/passenger-equivalent operational subsidized Miami to Los Angeles train after Katrina hurricane.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2262
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

I would like to know where are the places where you can see street running aside of Jack London Square in Oakland?

Is that true that there is also a street running line in La Grange, Illinois?

bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2263
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
But still, once my business is well and running, I'd like to visit places that covered by TRAINS On Location videos, such as Donner Pass or Tehachapi Pass (if they're accessible) or just traveling by Amtrak train.

Oh, is it also possible to travel all the way from West to East Coast with single train?
I also will someday make a large USA-wide rail travel =) But not so soon, I don't have enough vacations and would like to make a 1 month trip. The rail passes are something interresting to check http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/selectpass

Donner Pass is in the line Chicago-Denver-Salt Lake City-Sacramento-San Francisco, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amtrak_System_Map.svg and also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Zephyr

Tehachapi Pass is between Bakersfield and Los Angeles and therefore in a section which has currently only freight trains due to problems with the freight company =( But on the good side the future California HSR will serve this exactly this connection: Bakersfield-Los Angeles, although obviously it won't go through this same pass.

See also these maps: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...schematic3.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They retired the money-losing, $215/full ride/passenger-equivalent operational subsidized Miami to Los Angeles train after Katrina hurricane.
You are lying, as always in your anti-rail cruzade. They simply reverted it to the original route: New Orleans-Los Angeles. It was not retired.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Limited "During fiscal year 2011, the Sunset Limited carried nearly 100,000 passengers, an increase of 8.8% over FY2010"

See also the map from 1976 which shows that it didn't run to Orlando at that time: http://www.trainweb.org/railpix/misc...k-map-1976.jpg

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.

sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2264
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Yepper - Chicago - the 'nexus' of railroading in North America. The old cliché from the time when most of the USA's intercity passenger travel was by rail - "Regardless of where you are coming from or going to, you *MUST* change trains in Chicago".

It's still that way with Amtrak.

Anyways, Tehachapi Pass is one of the most famous trainwatching spots in the western USA and is amazingly accessible from public roads. CA 58 closely parallels the railroad through the most rugged part of that pass and it is also the proposed corridor for the California high-speed project.

Access along Donner Pass is decent, if you know where the roads go. I-80 closely follows it.

Also, there is still a good amount of mainline 'street' trackage scattered around in the USA, just do a Google search to find some of it.

Mike

mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2265
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Is that true that there is also a street running line in La Grange, Illinois?
It's not La Grange, Illinois (an inner suburb of Chicago), rather I believe that you are thinking about Lagrange, Kentucky, located along I-71 about a quarter of the way from Louisville to Cincinnati, Ohio. A CSX freight mainline runs down the city's very charming main street, about 30 1.5 to 2 km long trains use it per day on average.

Mike

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2266
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Ohh...I see. I must have mistaken the place, because the only La Grange that I knew is the one in Illinois. (Some elderly EMD locos in Indonesia are manufactured in here).

Well, it's good to know that there are street running lines over there. It is quite an amazing sight to see giant loco such as Dash-9, AC4400, SD70. or ES 44 plying the main street.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #2267
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
They retired
Amtrak's literature has been indicating suspension of service, not retirement, for the Sunset Limited twixt New Orleans and Miami.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2268
Suburbanist
on the road

Does Amtrak still hold the paths with CN and CSX to operate trains there? I heard that after the hurricane, CSX "downgraded" parts of the track and now wants $500 million to allow passenger traffic faster than 50mph over the Biloxi-Mobile sector.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:40 AM   #2269
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2270
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Is there any company in US that still producing the spare part of Alco 244 engine?

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2271
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Beautiful commercial

CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2272
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Sorry Amtrak, you're still not going to attract many riders if your trains still run 6 hours late, travel at a bicycle's pace, and charge prices higher than airlines.

Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2273
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

a lot of Amtrak trains actually run on time, and if you care about how fast you are going, take a plane.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #2274
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
a lot of Amtrak trains actually run on time, and if you care about how fast you are going, take a plane.
If Amtrak is or aims to be a transportation service, not a touristic attraction offering heavily subsidized rides from Chicago to West Coast, it MUST improve its average commercial speed.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:43 AM   #2275
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Addressing a point made earlier about Amtrak replacing it's rolling stock; they just issued an updated replacement plan. The details can be viewed here:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobSe...-_03-29-12.pdf
You MUST download the file, either temporarily to the temp internet files folder hidden in your computer, or to a set location on your hard drive. I don't know why Amtrak forces people to do that, but whatever. It's the information that's important.

Some highlights include:
- Replacement of the 145 Amfleet II cars is still on the priority purchase list
- Superliner I replacements have been put off several years compared to the V2 plan.
- Core of the v3.1 plan is to purchase 100 single level cars per year from FY2016 through FY2022. This will include Amfleet II and I replacements. (approx 700 cars total)
- Bi-level replacement for the Superliners & Dome Parlor cars would be purchased at 100 cars per year from FY2018 through FY2023. (500-600 cars total)
- 25 of the CAF Viewliners are expected to be delivered in FY2013, the remainder in FY2014.
- Beyond the 40 Acela coach cars to be delivered in FY2015, 10 new high speed trainsets are planned for purchase in FY2020. They may be spec'd at a higher 220 mph (350 km/h) operating speed

These highlights do not include the 70 electric locomotives or the 130 viewliners purchased, but the DO include the 130 bilevels that were sent out for bid earlier in April.

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2276
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Regarding airlines: I just bought tickets for Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver. The times were inconvenient so I looked at airfares. It was something like $80 round trip for train vs. $500 for airfare two days out.

mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2277
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
If Amtrak is or aims to be a transportation service, not a touristic attraction offering heavily subsidized rides from Chicago to West Coast, it MUST improve its average commercial speed.
Thats true for services like NER and Pacific Surfliners. But services like Coast Starlight and Southwest chiefs are not the case.

krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2278
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Is there any company in US that still producing the spare part of Alco 244 engine?
Not sure on the 244, but Fairbanks-Morse (Beloit, WI) is still building new 251 engines.

Mike

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:40 AM   #2279
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
Thank you.

Amtrak's Page-15 line "... The current intercity passenger route map is included below:" preceding their route network map illustrating Sunset Limited service twixt Jacksonville and New Orleans is quite astonishing, shameful, damning

Also astonishing is their third bullet at the bottom of Page 24 (see 7.2), which ends with, "...to create a single homogenous fleet of modern electric locomotives. This will displace the existing locomotives, including the HHP-8s which are relatively new. Various alternatives, including the retention of a reserve fleet, are under consideration." on Page 25.

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2280
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
Sorry Amtrak, you're still not going to attract many riders if your trains still run 6 hours late, travel at a bicycle's pace, and charge prices higher than airlines.
Six hours late?

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train