daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2341
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
It looks like a school bus
Its the Magic Schoolbus or Rail bus
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2342
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
It looks like a school bus
Your school buses must be quite ugly then...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2343
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
No that's not the loco.

The Talgo sets used on the Cascade would normally run with an engine at one end, and a "cab baggage" car ("cabbage") on the other. The cab car was a converted locomotive, with it's prime mover removed.

This looks like they've modified one end of a Talgo set to have a proper driving cab so they don't need the cab car anymore.
The caption of that pictures says it's the "main" car, whether that means it's the lead is unknown. I'm a little confused here, you said they don't need the cabbage anymore, doesn't that mean the other end is the loco with cab?
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2344
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDreamer View Post
California lawmakers ok billions for first US high speed line

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...0/1?csp=34news
lol from the comments section:

Quote:
Michael Boehnlein
Dear Californians,

We are sorry to say that we are going to have to cut education funding, as well as state services, etc. You see, just like in your homes, we have to cut back on spending when we are out of money. What? Wait! We don't? We can just spend and spend and then send out IOU's for Tax Refunds? Excellent!

As I was saying, we will continue to spend your money like it is our own. We will spend these dollars on some of the dumbest things we can think of. To start we are going to be building a new high speed train, and we are extending more benefits to those that cross our borders illegally.

Please do not feel left out if none of the above programs benefit you, we have something for you too. Higher Taxes to pay for it all!

Thanks in advance for all of your hard earned dollars. We expect you will continue to give until it hurts...in fact..we know you will because you have no choice.

Sincerely,

Gov. Jerry Brown and the Liberal California Assembly
Let the Chinese government take over California for 4 years, get a CRH line from downtown San Diego through Los Angeles up through Silicon Valley to downtown San Francisco. Maybe that will work best.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #2345
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv

The caption of that pictures says it's the "main" car, whether that means it's the lead is unknown. I'm a little confused here, you said they don't need the cabbage anymore, doesn't that mean the other end is the loco with cab?
The Amtrak Cascades use "push pull" sets. That means that this end will only be leading half of the time. When the train is running in the other direction the engine at he other end will be leading...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #2346
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258

Let the Chinese government take over California for 4 years, get a CRH line from downtown San Diego through Los Angeles up through Silicon Valley to downtown San Francisco. Maybe that will work best.
The fundamental problem is the attitude of the average Californian who would vote on pussies for free and don't raise my god damn taxes.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2347
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

California isn't China, so it'd still take decades for anything to happen, regardless of who runs the state. (NIMBYs, that joyful American right wing which in any other country would be considered as extremists, etc...)
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2348
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

NIMBYs are pretty much everywhere.
Old July 14th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #2349
luhai167

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Mean while can they get BART to close the loop though the south bay? That will make more sense, and I want a station in Milpitas, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Red Woodcity, and San Mateo. An extension to Cupertino and Campbell would be good.
luhai167 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2350
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:

No kidding... but then every one will be complaining about their personal freedom.
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2351
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Speaking of California, here are two REALLY long ride videos that I shot on Amtrak California's Capitol Corridor Route. Enjoy :

I really hope they find funding in the future to complete that extension up to Sacramento. A shorter trip would really be nice for a lot of commuters lol.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2352
manilyn17
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hudson Rail Tunnels – New Jersey/New York, United States of America
railway
[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNmAoxftXKQ_JG3hsSdr4pf-o8Tgovu7o3XYdqRg4y9OhKOE0B[/IMG]
manilyn17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:07 AM   #2353
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilyn17 View Post
Hudson Rail Tunnels – New Jersey/New York, United States of America
railway
[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNmAoxftXKQ_JG3hsSdr4pf-o8Tgovu7o3XYdqRg4y9OhKOE0B[/IMG]
what the hell does this have to do with anything?
On the other hand, I find this quite astounding, and even more so considering the train crew did absolutely nothing to stop it. Watch it on youtube to read the more in depth description.

Last edited by Fan Railer; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2354
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
what the hell does this have to do with anything?
On the other hand, I find this quite astounding, and even more so considering the train crew did absolutely nothing to stop it. Watch it on youtube to read the more in depth description.
Why did you have to inject Race into it? A pair of kids fighting would have been better....
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2355
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Why did you have to inject Race into it? A pair of kids fighting would have been better....
Do we have a political correctness censorship now?

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2356
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
Do we have a political correctness censorship now?
No , but what was the reason for filming that and then sticking that label on. More Views , More SUbs? Alot of people on youtube have been filming things like that to get extra views or subs and makes me angry along with other people. I'm also tired of people posting videos like that to derail threads , videos like that belong in the Skybar.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2357
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
No , but what was the reason for filming that and then sticking that label on. More Views , More SUbs? Alot of people on youtube have been filming things like that to get extra views or subs and makes me angry along with other people. I'm also tired of people posting videos like that to derail threads , videos like that belong in the Skybar.
I'm sure whether the "race" label was present or not would not have affected views. I have plenty of subs to begin with (I don't even keep track anymore), and views are only an arbitrary thing. The point is to raise awareness that this is even going on. But if the "race" issue bothers you so much, then I have already removed it from the title at least. Hope that makes you happy.
Thanks for stopping by.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2358
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

One of your (U-choob) video tags reads 'black' ... I'm with Nexis on this one ... it wouldn't surprise me if that awfully nasty N word weave its way onto its comments board ... plus your sociological take on 'shoot each other for sport' is more heinous than the public conduct you recorded audiologically ... I thought Americans bolder than Canadia/ens, coz the shockingness, amazement lies in the fact that nobody had asked any staff to put a cease to the disturbance, which shows me just how much your single $266 must've been worth ... might you be writing your deputy for provision of a Quiet Car on any one of the services you'd ridden?

Last edited by trainrover; July 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2359
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
One of your (U-choob) video tags reads 'black' ... I'm with Nexis on this one ... it wouldn't surprise me if that awfully nasty N word weave its way onto its comments board ... plus your sociological take on 'shoot each other for sport' is more heinous than the public conduct you recorded audiologically ... I thought Americans bolder than Canadia/ens, coz the shockingness, amazement lies in the fact that nobody had asked any staff to put a cease to the disturbance, which shows me just how much your single $266 must've been worth ... might you be writing your deputy for provision of a Quiet Car on any one of the services you'd ridden?
We'll see about that letter. As for my in-video comment, call it heinous or whatever, but you can't deny that there is some truth in it. Bad parenting leads to bad consequences.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2360
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Perception ≠ Truth

In addition: Bad ≠ Poor
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train