daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2521
Johnson8100
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Very nice and informative post, I agree with you that America is a super power in technology, And they are very famous in train all over the world. There railway tracks are totally stripped. I think passenger rail in the U.S. Is best served for short distances in high density areas. Every tourist likes that train, because it is much too comfortable and makes the distance convenient.
Johnson8100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #2522
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson8100 View Post
Very nice and informative post, I agree with you that America is a super power in technology, And they are very famous in train all over the world. There railway tracks are totally stripped. I think passenger rail in the U.S. Is best served for short distances in high density areas. Every tourist likes that train, because it is much too comfortable and makes the distance convenient.
Have you been smoking?
webeagle12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #2523
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Have you been smoking?
Actually, Johnson's comment is reflective of the attitude of a large number of the US populace (especially those more on the, ah, right side of the political spectrum). Problem is, once some money is made available for rail transport (for those projects that "make sense and are not boondoggles") ,they are shifted by the politicians to road construction or just unspent in the name of "fiscal responsibility". Passenger rail infrastructure development is such a political football in the US, it's like watching a farce.

webeagle12 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2524
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #2525
trainrover

Today's :
Planes, trains, but in California there's got to be an automobile in between

Robi_damian liked this post
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2526
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/mobility/u...-sprinter.aspx
According to the tracking feature on the new official Siemens USA page, locomotive 602 should be in Wilmington, DE before the July 4th weekend. Happy hunting to those along the route.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2527
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

Here is a nice photo of the aforementioned engine 602:

http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/06/amtrakcitiessprinter/

FM 2258 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #2528
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

And here are some videos of those who went to capture the beginning of this historic move:

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2529
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Actually, Johnson's comment is reflective of the attitude of a large number of the US populace (especially those more on the, ah, right side of the political spectrum). Problem is, once some money is made available for rail transport (for those projects that "make sense and are not boondoggles") ,they are shifted by the politicians to road construction or just unspent in the name of "fiscal responsibility". Passenger rail infrastructure development is such a political football in the US, it's like watching a farce.
Well, it will be a quite a rough wakeup call during the next decade as fuel prices will balloon (unless something very drastic happens). Countries that realize we're way past the era of chep oil will have a huge advantage.

But to me, I'd say that the major issue in passenger rail transport is that the US system are fragmentated and the private owners of tracks are prioritizing freight instead of expanding the network to accomodate passenger trains too. Amtrak seems to be a great company ut they're fighting an uphill battle.

FM 2258 liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2530
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
Well, it will be a quite a rough wakeup call during the next decade as fuel prices will balloon (unless something very drastic happens). Countries that realize we're way past the era of chep oil will have a huge advantage.
I think with the current development of shale gas extraction and fracking energy will stay relatively cheap for another half a century. Maybe longer.

Of course that is not an argument against developing passenger railway infrastructure.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2531
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Shale gas extraction is considerably more expensive than traditional oil dwelling. If you don't want to utterly destroy large parts of your country with it it gets even more expensive.

It will be a lot but not "cheap". In fact some alternative energy sources would be able to compete fairly well with shale gas in cost terms.
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2532
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

After 20 years of talk, Crenshaw/LAX rail line gets green light
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2533
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Is this how it's usually done?
I've been thinking about this lately, and I just can't figure out why they won't just improve upon this principle to make the fixed cost as low as possible (i.e. requiring less manual labor to actually lay track). I find this to be analogous to the huge TBM - no subway relies much on manual labor anymore to dig the tunnels, except in cities like NYC where they must blast rock).

I just keep imagining a system in which, concrete (for ballastless track) is poured several miles ahead of the machine, settles, and the track is laid down upon it. As each car is depleted, it is detached and leaves to get another load.
As such, you could conceivably have a 24/7 construction schedule, weather permitting.

I'm sure there are specific technical details, but I just can't wrap my head around why the fixed costs are so high?

Another example would be not employing Lithium Ion (LiFePo4) batteries and using regenerative breaking, as opposed to having to put up catenaries.

All-in-all, I don't see why we won't take the opportunity to look at conventional wisdom and change: price is a concern, so do it more cheaply.

I've asked so many times, but does anyone have, or has anyone seen, actual cost breakdowns of these kinds of projects? Or, more exactly, how the cost is passed on to passengers in terms of ticket fare?

FM 2258 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2534
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyorow View Post
Yeah, I agree. The train system here is pretty obsolete in most places. It would be nice to be able to hop on a train as a more cost effective solution to flying or taking the bus. I've always loved trains, but when I moved abroad it really started to hit me about how we should be utilizing trains in our own country for a better travel solution between towns and states...

After I saw how trains worked while visiting Europe a few times and then China, my attitude towards rail travel in the U.S. changed dramatically. Before traveling I was all about more freeways/cars but after seeing the pure efficiency of rail networks abroad I felt like we were lacking in that department. On top of that I realized that the U.S. used to have a good long distance and local rail infrastructure but it either got torn up or left to rot. I see so many rail lines here in Texas that are overgrown with trees and vegetation because they were abandoned. Hell even see rail lines with abandoned rail cars. Very sad
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2535
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
After 20 years of talk, Crenshaw/LAX rail line gets green light
That's nice. I could have definitely used that line last time I was in LA.

More details on Wiki, since article didn't have a map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crensha...geles_Metro%29

Map:
http://lametthesource.files.wordpres..._map_eng-1.jpg

phoenixboi08 liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2536
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I think with the current development of shale gas extraction and fracking energy will stay relatively cheap for another half a century. Maybe longer.

Of course that is not an argument against developing passenger railway infrastructure.
Not all energy the same.
Unlike oil-based fuels, that are way more effective in internal combustion cycle, than in generation grid electricity, NG are more effective (up to 60%) at big stationary electric plants, compared to small IC engines.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2537
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

SPARTANBURG, SC | Amtrak Station

image hosted on flickr

IMAG1635 by RunnningWithScalpels, on Flickr
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2538
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
An American union is now calling for an outright ban of one-man trains.
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2539
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Unions want to bloat trains with unnecessary people. They'd rather have cabooses and 3-men crew than advanced electronic train systems. They are doing what they are supposed to - stalling technological development. I couldn't have more contempt for unions that try to restrict technological advancement.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #2540
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Unions want to bloat trains with unnecessary people. They'd rather have cabooses and 3-men crew than advanced electronic train systems. They are doing what they are supposed to - stalling technological development. I couldn't have more contempt for unions that try to restrict technological advancement.
This fact reminds me a thing about Budd RDC railcars. In 1950's, Budd launched the Rail Diesel Car (RDC), a self-propelled passenger rail car that could be operate with only two persons: a engineer and a conductor, with lower labor costs for American railroads.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=665324&page=7

But, Rail Unions demanded that RDC's would have to operated with a engineer, a flagman and a auxiliary employee (plus conductor) inside each railcar... This was one of the reasons for the failure of Budd RDC.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train