daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #2601
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Texas had plans for HSR in 1990's, but I think it was shelved do to heavy lobbying by Southwest.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2602
Spacecityroller

Likes (Received): 7

Here are the major differences I see in this project versus other HSR projects in the us.

1. Private financing- mainly Japanese banks and rail operators(they know how to make money on HSR)...I believe Warren Buffet is also a stake holder on this project.

2. This project plans on using mostly existing ROW used by freight (BNSF being owned by Buffet) maybe why he is a stake holder.

They plan on submitting the EIS to the feds by the end of this year with the first departure scheduled for some time in 2020.

I know that SWA will fight this but this train is more aimed at the business traveler where time is money and cost is not important.
Spacecityroller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2603
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1038

Certainly was a good idea to get Buffett on board with the project, both for PR and in order to make sure there wasn't the usual interference by freight companies. Just have to see if it happens now. It'd sure be great to see HSR projects being constructed simultaneously in two separate locations in this country.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2604
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
The end of the set is moreso to meet the FRA requirements for buff strength and not permitting passengers on the forward cars. There will be only one locomotive that will push/pull the train.
One loco, so you need a driving trailer. They could have put some more effort into it's design though. Even a slightly tilted windshield would have looked better. It still looks better then a V250 though.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2605
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecityroller View Post
Here are the major differences I see in this project versus other HSR projects in the us.

1. Private financing- mainly Japanese banks and rail operators(they know how to make money on HSR)...I believe Warren Buffet is also a stake holder on this project.

2. This project plans on using mostly existing ROW used by freight (BNSF being owned by Buffet) maybe why he is a stake holder.

They plan on submitting the EIS to the feds by the end of this year with the first departure scheduled for some time in 2020.

I know that SWA will fight this but this train is more aimed at the business traveler where time is money and cost is not important.
SWA has no reason to fight this anymore because this is a short-haul route. This would free up quite a few trips from Dallas Love Field which has already been gate constrained so that they can fly to other long-haul destinations rather than short-haul to Houston because that is the only way they can fly a long non-stop.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2606
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section

kyah117, FM 2258 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2607
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40919

Nice video and horn.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2608
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I`m looking forward for the ACS, but Amtrak have also plan to replace diesel locomotive and amfleet for better service across the america.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2609
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

Can I ask, what was the reason behind the withdrawal of SD90MAC-H? And why the EMD four stroke engines didn't sell well?
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2610
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
I`m looking forward for the ACS, but Amtrak have also plan to replace diesel locomotive and amfleet for better service across the america.
They are. My post from another forum:
Quote:
In August of 2013, the Illinois DOT, in conjunction with Amtrak and other state DOTs, released a joint procurement RFP for 32 high-speed (125 mph), PRIIA spec'd, diesel-electric locomotives for intra-state commuter services. Of the 32 base locomotives, 21 would be allocated for Illinois and Michigan service, 6 would be for Amtrak California service, with the remaining 5 for use on the Cascades service in Washington. The contract includes options for up to 75 additional commuter spec'd locomotives, and up to 150 long distance interstate locomotives (presumably for Amtrak) for a total of 257 locomotives. The long distance locomotives would differ mainly from the commuter locomotives in the following ways: larger fuel tank (2,200 gallons vs. 1800 gallons) and higher HEP capacity (1000 kW vs. 800 kW).
http://www.dot.il.gov/procurement/NG...veproject.html

FM 2258 liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #2611
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Can I ask, what was the reason behind the withdrawal of SD90MAC-H? And why the EMD four stroke engines didn't sell well?
Poor reliability.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2612
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

I see
The GE AC6000CW did initially suffered the same trouble, before changing their engines to GEVO 16.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2613
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Also I read several report on those big engine being impractical. Say if you would run a train with 2 6000 hp instead of 3 4000 hp engines. If one of them fails you have lost half of your traction power, instead of 1/3 for the smaller engines. Also with NA being as large as it is, it is very unlikely that there are spare engines available quickly.

And now for the kicker: because a 6000 hp engine does not have a significantly higher tractive effort at low speeds you can't actually move a heavier train with it, you can only move the same train faster.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2614
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

So far, only GE big engines still in operation in USA. Mostly with CSX. But as I said earlier, all of their AC6000CW have had their engines replaced with GEVO 16. These engines still able to deliver 6000hp, although it is actually derated. A full powered GEVO 16, in theory, could deliver 6600 hp.
There are also other railway companies outside USA that operate GE big engines, such as BHP Iron Ore in Australia (which like CSX, replaced the engines with GEVO 16) or Vale mining in Brazil which operate GE ES58ACi (a 6000 hp version of ES44AC).

China purchased recycled SD90MAC-H, whose are designated as JT56ACe and classed as HXN3. Unlike original SD90MAC-H, these locos are dual cab cowl locomotives.
They also have GE ES59AC which is identical with AC6000CW, although it feature Chinese-style cab.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2615
Fan Railer

Here's a teaser video from my Boston trip. Unfortunately I can't upload the rest of it until tomorrow since the hotel internet is slow and inconsistent. Here, at one of the only stops on the NEC where trains can accelerate out of the station at full throttle without low speed restrictions, we are afforded rare opportunities to catch Amtrak's trains showing off their full might and power. Train 173 NE Regional departs first with Toaster Rehab 904. The Acela, train 2163 is running 20 minutes late, and the engineer does a good job of indicating that he plans to make up that time. Just watch her fly out of the station. This is also one of the few spots that affords a decent opportunity to record traction motor sounds. Can't wait to come back in a few years and see how the ACS-64s perform coming out of this station.

rheintram, brewerfan386 liked this post
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2616
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Being a pedestrian near the station or on the way to the airport is more dangerous in terms of fatality per billion passenger-km than driving, flying or driving (in US, majority of victims of car crashes are not car occupants but pedestrians, cyclists, bystanders etc).
Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? Europe has much bigger problems with car/pedestrian accidents than north america where the vast majority of victims are in fact automobile occupants.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:50 PM   #2618
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Yesterday's
Quebec seeks role in U.S. bankruptcy proceedings for MM&A railway

The beginning of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) in St-Jean, PQ on July 16, 2013.

Johnny Blade liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2619
trainrover

Old August 31st, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2620
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Say! might lying, stingy, greedy politicians who bear no spirit of goodwill have had their slutty selves found in the wrong bed the following morning?

from Wednesday, then Thursday:

4'39" - 4'59" + 4'59" - 5'22":

Lac Megantic: US launches safety inspection blitz of oil shipments

Tags
marc, rail, train