daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #2641
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Are those the same type of train they were going to use in Wisconsin?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2642
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
Are those the same type of train they were going to use in Wisconsin?
yes
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2643
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The trainset itself looks very good, also on the inside, but the driving trailer could have been made to look a bit more stylish. (Yet it is still better looking then a AB V250 though)

Compared to any normal locomotive a Talgo set will look very low, simply because it is. It's floor level is about at the same level where the floor level of a double decker coach would be.

A Talgo set doesn't have Jacobs bogies, but independently suspended single wheels that are unique for Talgo.
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #2644
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
The trainset itself looks very good, also on the inside, but the driving trailer could have been made to look a bit more stylish. (Yet it is still better looking then a AB V250 though)
I for some reason like its weird design, considering it's modeled after this:

Old November 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2645
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

lol. I never saw it until now, now I can't unsee it.

(Serious) maybe they took the basic look of the renfe class 350 front end and reengineered it to meet FRA specs?

But it doesn't matter. It looks awful

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; November 14th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2646
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

This crazy accident recently happened.

A 50 ton excavator thrown out of the way like a feather. North American trains FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpXOuYoK0k
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2647
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Amtrak's food operations lost $ 609 million since 2006!

This is beyond laughable, if not tragic.

Quote:
Last week, Congress held the latest in a series of hearings on Amtrak's inability to manage its food service. That's putting it kindly. Amtrak has lost more than $609 million on food and beverage since 2006. The situation is so bad that the $72 million loss it posted in this area last year is considered real progress:

But the problems run deeper. According to testimony from Amtrak's inspector general [PDF], the train service may be losing even more money on food and beverage than it's letting on. That's because Amtrak transfers part of the revenue from its sleeper-class and Acela tickets to the food and beverage account

On at least 13 long-distance routes, Amtrak doesn't coordinate staff needs with seasonal ridership changes. In fiscal 2012 that oversight alone led to nearly $7 million in losses.

Some Amtrak routes offer complimentary food. The Auto Train service gives out wine and cheese, for instance, while three long-distance sleeper services provide wine and champagne. The practice cost Amtrak half a million in 2012 — not a ton, but again, catnip to a skeptical Congress.

Amtrak probably offers a longer and wider menu than it should; many Japanese trains pack all their food and drink options onto carts that roam the cars. Would Amtrak make more money replacing a café car with a passenger car on some routes? The question is certainly worth exploring.

But the bigger problem is the perception of waste — and engaging in practices like account transfers that, appropriate or not, enhance that perception. When you get as much financial scrutiny as Amtrak does, it's not in your best interest to give opponents even a morsel of a doubt as to your intentions.
So the long-distance routes, which already are money-losers and a financial drain, are also a prime space for food revenue losses. The cross-service argument (subsidized food attracts paying passengers) doesn't even hold then.

Is there anything else Amtrak needs to do wrong with its operations to have multi-day long-distance routes scrapped?

Full text
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:48 AM   #2648
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

I don't know why they feel the need to pick on Amtrak , maybe if they got more funding and replaced there aging infrastructure and rolling stock things would run better... Good luck getting those Long Distance routes scrapped , republicans who block more funding to Amtrak also blocking ending rural services. If Amtrak were given the same amount of funding the Airlines and roads were given would this even be an issue , the answer is no it wouldn't.
Visit the New Jersey Section

CNB30 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2649
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So the long-distance routes, which already are money-losers and a financial drain, are also a prime space for food revenue losses. The cross-service argument (subsidized food attracts paying passengers) doesn't even hold then.
This is very dubious. On AMTRAK, sleeping car passage (long distance routes only) includes meals and most (maybe 75%) of the people in the dining cars are sleeping car passengers. When one pays $300 to $500 per day of travel (sometimes more) for a sleeping car, the part of that assigned to food and beverage service is entirely artificial. One could as easily increase the food portion (and decrease the accommodation portion) and say food service is making money but the rest of the service is losing more.

In fact, I question any and all AMTRAK accounting. Many of their costs perform double duty. For example, how much of their expenses in the northeast corridor, which they claim makes money, for track maintenance etc is assignable to northeast only trains and how much is assignable to the through trains from New Orleans and Florida which are long distance routes. If the long distance trains didn't exist, they'd still have to maintain the rails.
Old November 29th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2650
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

In some ways you'd think food would be a necessary loss leader. Would you spend 12 hours stuck on a train if all it had was cans of coke sold from a cart?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #2651
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
In some ways you'd think food would be a necessary loss leader. Would you spend 12 hours stuck on a train if all it had was cans of coke sold from a cart?
No, I'd do what I do anyway: Bring food with me. I travel to and from New Orleans a lot. I love to buy a hyper-garlicky Muffaletta sandwich just before the train leaves and let it smell up the entire car.

I also miss the way it used to be in Europe where vendors in the stations used to sell food and the train windows opened so you could lean out and buy some cheese and the local booze.

Truth be told, the food on trains isn't very good any more and I only eat it because, as a sleeping car passenger, I've already paid for it plus I like the social experience of sharing a table in the dining car and meeting people.
Old November 29th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2652
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I also miss the way it used to be in Europe where vendors in the stations used to sell food and the train windows opened so you could lean out and buy some cheese and the local booze.
I don't remember having ever witnessed any scene like that, at least on Western Europe (I never traveled by train to Eastern Europe - former DDR excepted of course).
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2653
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

If I remember correct (it was some 25 years ago I last saw it) at the Amersfoort or Deventer station in the Netherlands there used to be a selling cart on the platform similar to the onboard service at the time. At these stations you had to wait a few minutes for two train halves to split or combine.
Old November 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2654
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Me neither, that scene is from some long gone era at least as far as Europe is concerned. I have used trains in East Europe and it doesn't happen there either.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2655
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I don't remember having ever witnessed any scene like that, at least on Western Europe (I never traveled by train to Eastern Europe - former DDR excepted of course).
I suspect you aren't old enough and perhaps did not travel the Balkans under Communism.
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2656
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Me neither, that scene is from some long gone era at least as far as Europe is concerned. I have used trains in East Europe and it doesn't happen there either.
1972 (as I best recall)--in Yugoslavia mostly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz

http://www.mesoprometcompany.co.rs/p..._category_id=2

The essentials of second class Balkan train travel in those days. Among other journeys, it sustained me from Salzburg (Austria) to Athens, a 3-day trip at the time.

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; December 1st, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2657
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
The secret police in black overcoats with snarling dogs on leashes and long mirrors to look under the trains are long gone too, but they had those in the early '70s as well (just like in old movies). When you cross a border from a country with a Communist dictator to one with a rightist military junta (Greece at the time), you see many things--all gone.

Traveling used to be a lot more interesting than today, I think.

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; December 1st, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2658
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I suspect you aren't old enough and perhaps did not travel the Balkans under Communism.
I was on pre-K in 1989.
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2659
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I wasn't born yet in 1972 and all my train travel is from 90-ties and later. Maybe it was fun for you to travel through the iron curtain, but it was much less funny living behind it. I was born in USSR so forgive me for not missing it much
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2660
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
I wasn't born yet in 1972 and all my train travel is from 90-ties and later. Maybe it was fun for you to travel through the iron curtain, but it was much less funny living behind it. I was born in USSR so forgive me for not missing it much
I think I can understand. The thing that most impressed me about Yugoslavia in those days was the absence of trucks. Everywhere one saw carts with truck tires pulled by horses . . . in the 1970s!

I also experienced a little of iron curtain living when I got my Yugoslav visa. Got it in their consulate in Munich. The place was full of Yugoslav workers trying to renew permission to work in the west. Some functionary literally pushed them out of my way and took me to an office where I could get a tourist visa.

Then, on the train trip, I shared a second class compartment with a group of Yugoslavs and one Albanian. The Yugoslavs were all fun and we drank Slivovitz, ate sausage and partied for 2 days. The Albanian wouldn't speak to me or in my presence.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
marc, rail, train