daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:32 PM   #2721
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
the blinking headlights of the locomotive is an unusual sight in my eyes. Is this something only occuring on North american railways ?
I've seen dynamic (ditch?) headlamps filmed on some railway system overseas although I can't remember where (UK? Australasia? Germany?).

Last edited by trainrover; April 24th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:47 AM   #2722
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...tml?channel=41
So this happened this week.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2723
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5745

Grand Rapids, MI - new railway station opens 2014.10.27

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._statio_1.html

source: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._statio_1.html

This station will serve the Pere Marquette line to Chicago.

A train station in Troy, MI opened earlier this month, and the new one in Dearborn, MI should open soon.

dimlys1994, pudgym29, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #2724
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2531

I was wandering, does anyone know how fast are trains in U.S. I guess 50-55 mph?

...and does old transcontinental railroad that connects east and west coast still exists?
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #2725
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Passenger trains frequently operate at 125 kph. Freight trains can also operate at that speed on long straight sections of track, but freight trains in the US are much longer than in Europe, sometimes with 200 wagons, totaling 4 km in length. Speeds of 90 kph are much more common for freight trains in the US.

Nearly all of the original line of road of the transcontinental railroad is still in use. Some brief sections have been bypassed or moved slightly, and all the original rail has been replaced at least once. The Lucin cutoff crossing of the Great Salt Lake in 1904 cut 70 km from the total length of the line. Amtrak's California Zephyr follows about half of the original transcontinental route.

The transcontinental route was not from the East Coast to the West Coast; railways in the 1860s already extended from the East Coast to Omaha, in the middle of the country. The transcontinental connected Omaha to the West Coast, requiring crossing of two enormous mountain ranges and a very large desert.

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #2726
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
I was wandering, does anyone know how fast are trains in U.S. I guess 50-55 mph?

...and does old transcontinental railroad that connects east and west coast still exists?
Wow, we are not that bad. Acela reaches 150mph in small sections.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #2727
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post

Source: http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...5&action=image

Why is the contact wire so high? Freight trains?
Is this Acela?
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #2728
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Is this Acela?
No that's a regional

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #2729
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Amtrak: Getting Back on Track
By ANDREW TANGEL
Nov. 25, 2014 12:12 a.m. ET

Amtrak, the national passenger railroad whose subsidies often are the target of cost-cutters in Washington, said Monday that its operating loss has fallen to the lowest level in four decades amid growing ridership.

Amtrak’s operating loss of $227 million in fiscal 2014, which ended Sept. 30, was down 37% from the previous year, according to results the railroad planned to announce Tuesday.

The narrowed loss comes as the railroad faces a backlog of billions of dollars’ worth of upgrades to bridges, stations and other infrastructure, and as some transportation experts worry about dimming prospects for federal funding of projects.

The railroad’s revenue grew 8% to $3.2 billion from the previous fiscal year amid what transportation planners see as a long-term shift favoring mass transit and passenger rail. Amtrak saw ridership of 31 million in fiscal 2014, up from 24 million in 2005, and growth across its three major operating divisions: the Northeast Corridor, shorter regional routes and long-distance routes.

Amtrak officials touted the past fiscal year’s results as a sign their efforts to run the railroad like a business were paying off . . . .

Amtrak’s reported operating losses exclude noncash depreciation and other items. Overall, the railroad reported a net loss of $1.1 billion in fiscal 2014, narrower than the $1.3 billion loss the previous year.

The Northeast Corridor, which includes the railroad’s Acela and Northeast Regional services, saw an operating surplus of $496.7 million in fiscal 2014, up from $390.1 million the previous year, Amtrak said.

Its long-distance service, by contrast, saw an operating loss of $507.5 million in fiscal 2014, narrower than the $594.2 million in the 2013 fiscal year, Amtrak said.

Government support for Amtrak, created by Congress in 1970, long has been subject to political wrangling. Following pressure in recent years to reduce its dependency on federal funds, the railroad now receives more money from states through which it operates routes, said Robert Puentes, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

Less clear is whether Amtrak might shift some of the costs of its long-distance routes onto the states they run through . . . .

Rep. Jeff Denham, (R., Calif.) chairman of a House subcommittee with oversight of the nation’s railroads, has been pushing a bill that would pressure Amtrak to cut long-distance service costs, while also letting it reinvest the Northeast Corridor’s surpluses into route upgrades.

If enacted, Mr. Denham said the measure would help Amtrak jump-start some long-needed projects.

“Amtrak will always have big needs,” he said. “Will it be enough? No. We are so far behind right now it’s going to take several years to dig our way out of this.”

Among the big-ticket items eyed by Amtrak is an estimated $900 million replacement of the 104-year-old Portal Bridge in New Jersey. The bridge’s failures to close properly can snarl train traffic on the East Coast.

Amtrak recently has warned of railroad gridlock if major repairs force it to close one of two aging rail tunnels under the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey. Amtrak hasn’t received funding to build additional tunnels.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/amtra...EYWORDS=Amtrak
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #2730
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Is this Acela?
This is Acela:

Photo source: https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...earch&fr=aaplw

CNB30, jchernin, Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #2731
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
No that's a regional
That's not even a regional... it's a non-revenue test train...
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #2732
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Amtrak & NJT Thanksgiving Day 2014 Railfanning at SEC Junction and Metropark

Secaucus Junction:

Metropark (watch this one on YouTube for the timestamps in the description):

Riding Northeast Regional 156 Business Class from Metropark to Penn Station New York:

Photo album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=c74db574a4

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #2733
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
Wow, we are not that bad. Acela reaches 150mph in small sections.
To elaborate on this:

Almost everything that travels long-distance on diesel has a speed limit of 79 MPH. So the train from Washington DC to Chicago will go max 79 mph (125 km/h), same with Chicago-San Francisco etc.

The Acela Express - the fastest we've got - will got max 150 mph (240 km/h).

The Northeast Corridor, which is Washington DC to Boston (incl. New York, Philadelphia) has a top speed of 125 mph (200 km/h) for the Regionals (cheaper than ACELA, but still inter-city AMTRAK, and can be fairly expensive - not to be confused with regional rail, like SEPTA or New Jersey Transit) and then the ACELA as mentioned above goes slightly faster.

Then there are some corridors, for example Keystone Corridor - Harrisburg to Philadelphia, which hits 110 mph (180 km/h) as top speed. Some I believe also hit 90mph (not sure which), so it varies, but I've listed the most travelled routes and their speeds. Hope it helps.
No matter where its going. - Edna St. Vincent Millay
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #2734
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

There is also work being undertaken by PennDOT to remove the grade crossings on the keystone line so trains can operate at 125 mph. Or at least that is what my research into Regional Rail in the northeast has lead me to believe.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #2735
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

The grade crossings have all been removed (I believe there might be one last private crossing left) but that is not all that is required, there is some other work that needs to be done by AMTRAK I believe to make it go 125.

Old December 1st, 2014, 03:12 AM   #2736
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Hah, i was actually in the Harrisburg Penn Station over thanksgiving (did not take the train though).

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM   #2737
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
The Northeast Corridor, which is Washington DC to Boston (incl. New York, Philadelphia) has a top speed of 125 mph (200 km/h) for the Regionals (cheaper than ACELA, but still inter-city AMTRAK, and can be fairly expensive - not to be confused with regional rail, like SEPTA or New Jersey Transit) and then the ACELA as mentioned above goes slightly faster.
Does ACELA use same tracks as regional? If so, why then ACELA is initially introduced when it is only slightly faster then regional?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:02 AM   #2738
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Yes, ACELA uses the same track as regional.

It is a little bit faster - not as much, but over the endpoint to endpoint it takes over an hour less, so I guess it is a little difference.

Why? I'm not 100% sure as I'm no expert on this, but a combination of future foreseeing, premium segment (there is plenty of that) and the fastest rail that's possible still. Acelas still run at a nice capcity, there is a lot of businessmen who take it on the company's dime (so the employer pays in other words) or people just willing to pay for better comfort etc.

Hey, it works, people pay for it and it's profitable, so why not.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:11 PM   #2739
benjaminh

Likes (Received): 55

The Acela travel time advantage might not be awe inspiring but it still makes a difference, in particular if you take the train often or - as a fair amount of people do - even go back and forth on the same day for business. A quick search on amtrak.com gave me 2:45 as the shortest journey between NYC and Washington, DC on the Acela and 3:17 on the Northeast Regional; that's around 17% less.

On a side note: I have been traveling quite a bit between Washington and Baltimore and every Acela I see is pretty much packed; despite the hefty prices (because a lot of people get the trip paid for by their employer). Amtrak's market share between Washington and New York is somewhere around 80% which is an incredible success story. Now, if just more money was spent on NEC improvements.

I have been trying to find out what the status of the track upgrades between New Brunswick and Trenton is but can't find anything. Does anybody know?

jonasry, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
benjaminh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 01:00 AM   #2740
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Texas could see construction of the US's first high speed rail in 2016. A private company has already been established to build a line between Dallas and Houston for a bullet train. A environmental study is currently underway as well as debate over 3 possible routes. The company is called Texas Central Railway. However, there are current issues with rural communities concerning the high speed line that are being worked out.

More than 100 miles of the 240-mile corridor would be built on elevated tracks to reduce the impact on communities, said Travis Kelly, Texas Central Railway’s vice president for government relations. He added that the company’s goal was to “use existing rights of way as much as possible in order to minimize the need for access to land.”

Currently there are many land issues I see that will likely prevent construction to start in two years. But I am looking forward to this. And according to the TCR website the majority of the line will be elevated.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...to-5899746.php

Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train