daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #261
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
would High Speed Rail be possible with Ron Paul as President if that is then Ron Paul could be my new favorite president next to Ronald Reagen, JFK, Teddy Roosvelt, Franklin Roosvelt, Lincoln does anybody agree

Ron Paul is a libertarian !!!

Last edited by Trainman Dave; January 12th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Trainman Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #262
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Electrify America's Main Line Railways

i have been thinking for sometime and some of the Main Railways thru out the United States has the potential to be electrified

South Florida Rail Corridor why i think this should be electrified because of the Traffic it has and the completion of the Double Track project and also completed the new River Bridge in Fort Laundale so its possible to be electrified also the traffic on this Rail Corridor is heavy

Current Traffic: Amtrak, Tri Rail, and CSX Miami

Future Traffic: Amtrak, Tri Rail, CSX Miami, and High Speed Railway so the traffic will double and triple and needs to be electrified

Chicago Union Station since its Underground the whole north and south Railway portions can be electrifed and alot of the whole Railways can be electrified for High Speed Rail and also Amtrak and Metra to use as well

the Rail Corridor south of Washington DC can be eletrified because it has traffic of Amtrak, VRA and Frieght

California is closer to elctrification because of the high speed rail

can anybody discuss about this??
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #263
Songoten2554

why isn't that the United States is Electrifying Main Line Railways in that they have alot of Traffic i know that it has to depend on the Traffic Load but i see potential in High Traffic Railways

like the Railways that go into Chicago Union Station has the Potential of being Electrified because they go underground and not only that carries a high amount of traffic

like Amtrak, Metra, Frieght Trains thats the current Traffic
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #264
Songoten2554

hello does anyone want to add some points into this i am getting viewers
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #265
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

#1. Transportation of electric current over long distances = problematic.
#2. Money involved in upgrading such a vast network = problematic.
#3. Poltical will = problematic.

Expand on that.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #266
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
#1. Transportation of electric current over long distances = problematic.
#2. Money involved in upgrading such a vast network = problematic.
#3. Poltical will = problematic.

Expand on that.
#1 - is a false issue. You don't transmit electric current over long distances, you use sections, just as every other electric railway in the world does.

#2 - cheaper than doing it in 20 years.

#3 - of course. We sprawl. We won't fix that until it's far too late to save our economy from energy prices.
UrbanBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #267
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Instead of electrifying railways, how about creating new and upgrading railways. Did you know that right now, if you wanted to use rail to go to SF from LA, you could either take a 20 hour trip or take a bus trip to Bakersfield and then take the much faster train from there. Neither sounds good to me.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #268
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Instead of electrifying railways, how about creating new and upgrading railways. Did you know that right now, if you wanted to use rail to go to SF from LA, you could either take a 20 hour trip or take a bus trip to Bakersfield and then take the much faster train from there. Neither sounds good to me.
*cough*California HSR*cough*

I believe a bond issue should be on the state ballot this year?
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #269
Songoten2554

this is benefitual Europe has been doing for years while can't america do it???

then how did the Northeast Corridor became electrified because of PRR then this means it can be possible

someone said it can be done by sections it doesn't have to be electrified all the way it can be done in sections and then make it to the designtations
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #270
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
*cough*California HSR*cough*

I believe a bond issue should be on the state ballot this year?
Haha, I know about that, and I'm definitely voting for it if it's finally put on the ballot, but even if it is approved, it is at least 20 years away. Upgrades to rail can be done much more quickly and are needed now. I-5 is constantly loaded with freight traffic, and a lot of people abhor how long it takes to get onto a plane to go between SF and LA. HSR is great and it's desperately needed in the state, but until we get it, let's improve our current passenger rail corridors.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #271
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
this is benefitual Europe has been doing for years while can't america do it???

then how did the Northeast Corridor became electrified because of PRR then this means it can be possible

someone said it can be done by sections it doesn't have to be electrified all the way it can be done in sections and then make it to the designtations
Europe does it because the national governments (the collectors of income tax) invest in it. The NE corridor was electrified before the US government really got started competing with the private railroads with a free highway system.
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #272
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Haha, I know about that, and I'm definitely voting for it if it's finally put on the ballot, but even if it is approved, it is at least 20 years away. Upgrades to rail can be done much more quickly and are needed now. I-5 is constantly loaded with freight traffic, and a lot of people abhor how long it takes to get onto a plane to go between SF and LA. HSR is great and it's desperately needed in the state, but until we get it, let's improve our current passenger rail corridors.
Honestly, you're going to hate to hear this, but even *talking* about upgrading rail infrastructure before that bond issue passes will only create uncertainty and doubt about HSR, and probably kill the project. That's what keeps happening up here in Seattle! "Bus Rapid Transit" suddenly gets very exciting for five minutes before every rapid transit vote. Of course, it dies immediately when someone actually considers the cost of bus-only corridors.

Here's what can really happen: Get CA HSR passed. Then talk about this - and frame it as adding funding to the HSR project to let them start incrementally upgrading immediately.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #273
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Well that bond comes up in November, so it can be discussed very soon.

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #274
himbaman

Likes (Received): 40

how can it be that the richest country in the world has such a bad public transport system? i once read that the automobile lobbies put pressure on the government not to invest in public transport, as it may result in lower car sales!
is this true?
himbaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #275
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by himbaman View Post
how can it be that the richest country in the world has such a bad public transport system? i once read that the automobile lobbies put pressure on the government not to invest in public transport, as it may result in lower car sales!
It can be traced back to one thing: We recognized roads as a public good, but the government didn't have the power to nationalize passenger rail when the more established European governments did - so they regulated rail to death instead, and were left having to build free-to-use highway infrastructure. No private railways can compete with the free roads.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #276
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBen View Post
It can be traced back to one thing: We recognized roads as a public good, but the government didn't have the power to nationalize passenger rail when the more established European governments did - so they regulated rail to death instead, and were left having to build free-to-use highway infrastructure. No private railways can compete with the free roads.
On top of that, the only way private railroads can stay profitable these days is to maintain a freight-only network, as a passenger network requires much higher quality standards and speeds. Plenty of lobbying goes on to make sure that passenger rail is as much of a pain in the ass as possible.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #277
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
On top of that, the only way private railroads can stay profitable these days is to maintain a freight-only network, as a passenger network requires much higher quality standards and speeds. Plenty of lobbying goes on to make sure that passenger rail is as much of a pain in the ass as possible.
I wouldn't call it "on top of that" - how do you compete with heavy airline and road subsidies?
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #278
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

With Amtrak strike looming, commuters brace for shutdowns
15 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Commuters stranded from Virginia to Massachusetts. A flood of extra cars on already congested highways.

That nightmare could become a reality unless a dispute between Amtrak and nine unions is resolved by January 30th.

There's never been a strike in Amtrak's 36-year history. And it's likely that one will be averted this time, too, because Congress can intervene if there's no agreement.

But if the workers do walk out, the 71,000 people who take Amtrak every day won't be the only ones who suffer. Hundreds of thousands of people who ride commuter trains also would have their plans disrupted.

That's because many commuter rail services use Amtrak's infrastructure. In some cases -- such as the Virginia Railway Express and MARC -- Amtrak employees actually staff the commuter services.

Commuter lines are scrambling to come up with backup plans. But officials warn there's no way they'll be able to accommodate all the travelers who would be displaced.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #279
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7333

Althouhg I'm a huge advocate of electrification on railways, it's only sustainable if there's enough traffic on the line to make use of it. Remember, 25kV 60Hz AC (standard supply) is quite expensive, almost $1m per mile. My line on NJT (M&E) has a train every 10 minutes and it's worthwhile, but in other places it's just pointless. However, the Pacific Surfliner and Capital Corridor along with DC-Richmond seem like profitable electrified rail routes.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #280
UrbanBen
the transit nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Althouhg I'm a huge advocate of electrification on railways, it's only sustainable if there's enough traffic on the line to make use of it. Remember, 25kV 60Hz AC (standard supply) is quite expensive, almost $1m per mile. My line on NJT (M&E) has a train every 10 minutes and it's worthwhile, but in other places it's just pointless. However, the Pacific Surfliner and Capital Corridor along with DC-Richmond seem like profitable electrified rail routes.
That's chicken and egg. The ONLY way to get passenger rail back in competition with the highways (which is necessary if we want to stay solvent through $10 gas...) is to subsidize the hell out of it until the infrastructure investment level gets a lot closer to the capital we've laid out for highways already.

Tags
marc, rail, train