daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:05 PM   #3061
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
How many of those have been converted to non-train use and how many are still in use as rail stations?

Off the top of my head, I know at least St Louis, Buffalo, and Tacoma are no longer train stations.
Worcester , Albuquerque , Richmond , Barstow , San Bernardino , Utica , Kansas City , Indianapolis , Salt Lake City , Ogden , Springfield... Scranton could be activated to service Regional & Suburban trains sometime in the 2020s...
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #3062
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Worcester , Albuquerque , Richmond , Barstow , San Bernardino , Utica , Kansas City , Indianapolis , Salt Lake City , Ogden , Springfield... Scranton could be activated to service Regional & Suburban trains sometime in the 2020s...
I made a map a while back with Commuter Rail for Main Street Station. Also, I've taken the train out of there a few times before as well. MUCH nicer than Staples Mill.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #3063
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Brand new Solari Board in Newark

I change my mind this looks horrendous...
1980 meet 1960's, as always 0% taste in graphic skills
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #3064
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Oil by rail in US

While people oppose pipelines, oil is travelling by rail

CREDIT: EIA DATA[

brick84, zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #3065
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

An analysis of the rail provisions in the new transportation bill Congress is about to pass: http://www.narprail.org/news/blog/se...s-of-fast-act/

It looks pretty good for AMTRAK folks.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #3066
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 leaves Penn Station, New York, 1960s

Traveling westwards towards New Jersey. The 9th Avenue bridge is over the tracks in the background. In the distance is the top of the Empire State Building. See earlier post on the GG1.

http://transpressnz.blogspot.hk/2013...aves-penn.html

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #3067
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

I'm so unhappy that they covered the rail yard. BIG mistake

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #3068
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Just wondering - Has Amtrak and/or any of the commuter rail operators ever lobbied for the Federal Railroad Administration to modernise their rules regarding crash-worthiness and singalling/max line speed rules? If the FRA were to modernise them to bring them into line with Europe then I assume they couldall save a fortune both on procurement and operational costs - and get far better equipment (modern EMUs and DMUs) into the bargain. Given a lot of the European manufacturers already have assembly facilities in North America (or are North American-European joint ventures) I can't really see it working as a protectionist measure anymore.

It'd be great to see Amtrak get more Talgo rolling stock as part of the fleet modernisation (Talgo XXI, perhaps?), without it being weighed down by concrete.

Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #3069
Nexis
Dark Wolf

If lines have PTC installed on them then the agency or company can purchase lighter trains...from what ive heard.

Old December 8th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #3070
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Just wondering - Has Amtrak and/or any of the commuter rail operators ever lobbied for the Federal Railroad Administration to modernise their rules regarding crash-worthiness and singalling/max line speed rules? If the FRA were to modernise them to bring them into line with Europe then I assume they couldall save a fortune both on procurement and operational costs - and get far better equipment (modern EMUs and DMUs) into the bargain. Given a lot of the European manufacturers already have assembly facilities in North America (or are North American-European joint ventures) I can't really see it working as a protectionist measure anymore.

It'd be great to see Amtrak get more Talgo rolling stock as part of the fleet modernisation (Talgo XXI, perhaps?), without it being weighed down by concrete.
They have ... with, ah, limited success.

See this article.

hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #3071
Neb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
They have ... with, ah, limited success.

See this article.
Wow. That's pretty depressing reading. In other words, "We know our rules are stupid but instead of changing them, it's better to ask us for permission to ignore them instead."
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #3072
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Wow. That's pretty depressing reading. In other words, "We know our rules are stupid but instead of changing them, it's better to ask us for permission to ignore them instead."
It sounds to my (European) ears like a very "American problem". The FRA seem to be covering their bacon amid a quite individualistic and litigious population. If I have understood the underlying issue correctly then the main rationale for the crash-worthiness rules is collisions at low velocity? (If the train is near maximum speed when it collides then the strength of the chassis hardly matters.) In more "collectivist" Europe and Japan one could get away with saying that this is a rare occurrence that should not act as an obstacle to providing the best service to the greater number of passengers. But I suppose that FRA is afraid that, in case such an accident does occur, they'll be subject of devastating criticism, legal action, etc.?

hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #3073
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
It sounds to my (European) ears like a very "American problem". The FRA seem to be covering their bacon amid a quite individualistic and litigious population. If I have understood the underlying issue correctly then the main rationale for the crash-worthiness rules is collisions at low velocity? (If the train is near maximum speed when it collides then the strength of the chassis hardly matters.) In more "collectivist" Europe and Japan one could get away with saying that this is a rare occurrence that should not act as an obstacle to providing the best service to the greater number of passengers. But I suppose that FRA is afraid that, in case such an accident does occur, they'll be subject of devastating criticism, legal action, etc.?
(This has always struck me as a silly myth: there are things/situations worth being litigious about...but I guess it's only so when it's a European bringing the suit ?

If the McDonald's coffee incident is what informs this opinion, I'll go ahead about point out that that suit was not about what most people think it was about - as is often the case. Again with that woman who supposedly sued her nephew for hugging her)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anyways, it's hardly about personal liberties and litigiousness...it's just inertia.

They wouldn't be any more liable for damages if someone sabotaged the tracks, simply because the train was more "crashworthy." That doesn't make sense. For better or worse, they care about safety, as any agency does, and heavy trains has been their method of choice, historically.

The previous comment from Nexis is more prescient; they could (and seem to be willing to) attack "Crashworthiness" in more efficient ways, by mandating specific technologies that actually prevent [most] accidents.

They have been signaling that this is a direction in which they're willing to go - specifically, in regards to standards for HSR rolling stock.

I think the hope is that they will just begin expanding these standards to cover all passenger services, which is a natural progression of revisiting these standards to begin with.

phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #3074
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Its classic American ignorance..., but that was posted in 2011 and they soften up abit since then..

Old December 8th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #3075
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

What about that rules change that wis supposed to come at the end of the year?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #3076
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
(This has always struck me as a silly myth: there are things/situations worth being litigious about...but I guess it's only so when it's a European bringing the suit ?

If the McDonald's coffee incident is what informs this opinion, I'll go ahead about point out that that suit was not about what most people think it was about - as is often the case. Again with that woman who supposedly sued her nephew for hugging her)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anyways, it's hardly about personal liberties and litigiousness...it's just inertia.

They wouldn't be any more liable for damages if someone sabotaged the tracks, simply because the train was more "crashworthy." That doesn't make sense. For better or worse, they care about safety, as any agency does, and heavy trains has been their method of choice, historically.

The previous comment from Nexis is more prescient; they could (and seem to be willing to) attack "Crashworthiness" in more efficient ways, by mandating specific technologies that actually prevent [most] accidents.

They have been signaling that this is a direction in which they're willing to go - specifically, in regards to standards for HSR rolling stock.

I think the hope is that they will just begin expanding these standards to cover all passenger services, which is a natural progression of revisiting these standards to begin with.
They say that, and then...

Quote:
[I]t would appear that the FRA learned nothing from the Acela-1 fiasco. The nonsensical design requirements will scare away bidders. With fewer bidders (plus the extreme cost of a full-custom trainset), the Acela-2 trains will probably be really expensive. Hopefully, Acela-2 won’t be as unreliable.

zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #3077
Neb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
They say that, and then...
If the FRA can be persuaded to sit the correct way around on the toilet seat to allow UIC spec trains on shared track, and Amtrak can get some assurances about funding, it would make sense for Amtrak and the California HSR authority to jointly purchase a standardised HSR fleet.

Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #3078
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Amtrak eyes Lehigh Valley passenger rail test run to NYC metro area

Amtrak is working on bringing an "inspection train" to the Lehigh Valley that would use existing freight lines to run passengers from the Valley to the New York City metro area, according to an Amtrak executive.

[..]

McHugh also pointed to an abundance of freight lines in the region, but added that Amtrak doesn't own them and would need permission from the owner – both to run the inspection train and for any regular service in the future.

[..]

In the case of the Lehigh Valley, most of the lines belong to Norfolk Southern. Amtrak would need the company to give it right-of-way.

McHugh said Amtrak has a strong relationship with Norfolk Southern and believes something could be worked out.

A Norfolk Southern spokesman also said the company has a history of working with Amtrak.
Read Full Article

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #3079
mrsmartman

THE PENNSY AT BROAD STREET

http://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/The-P...t-21174so.html
Old December 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #3080
mrsmartman