daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2017, 01:56 AM   #3401
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

BNSF Intermodal west Flagstaff, Arizona 04.03.2016
by Mick Page, en Flickr

UP 3212 Local manifest, Emory Utah 05.10.2016
by Mick Page, en Flickr

UP 8996 west Grain, Green River WY 09.10.2016
by Mick Page, en Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

mrsmartman, DanielFA, brick84 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2017, 02:10 AM   #3402
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

UP3039 DPU MWCNP 20
by Andrew, en Flickr

Arrowhead Jct California
by Andrew, en Flickr

Eastbound at Saltus , Needles sub
by Andrew, en Flickr

Eastbound at Harris
by Andrew, en Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

mrsmartman, DanielFA, 3737, brick84, zaphod liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #3403
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

The birth, life, and death of old Penn Station

The story of one of NYC’s greatest architectural losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed New York
When Pennsylvania Station first opened in 1910, it was a far cry from the confusing maze of underground tunnels that it is today. The building, which covered eight acres in midtown Manhattan, was an impressive Classical gateway to New York City. The waiting room, inspired by the Roman Baths of Caracalla, had a coffered ceiling that soared 148 feet high. One descended onto sun-bathed train platforms beneath a canopy of iron and glass.

But just 54 years later, that Penn Station was demolished, replaced by the current transit hub that is undergoing a major overhaul due to its ineffective—if not downright unpleasant—design.

The original station was commissioned by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which billed itself around the turn of the 20th century as “the standard railroad of the world.”

Read more at: https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/7/1661...y-photos-mckim

The main waiting room of old Penn Station. George P. Hall and Son. Interior of Pennsylvania Station. 1911. Museum of the City of New York. X2010.11.5113

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #3404
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3040

New train cars to increase capacity on Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and Pacific Surfliner routes

Quote:
Commuters heading into the Bay Area on the San Joaquins or Capitol Corridor routes can look forward to a little more breathing room: Caltrans announced last week a $371 million contract for new train cars. The highway agency funds Amtrak’s two commuter lines that bisect the Bay Area, plus the Pacific Surfliner, which rolls along the California coast. Caltrans said it will receive 49 new cars to use in California, adding to the 174 train cars currently in use, some of which are leased from Amtrak.
“(We’re) ready for these new railcars to provide additional seating capacity for our busy trains and support planned improvements to passenger service,” Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty said in a statement.
The cars will add some extra capacity, said Caltrans spokeswoman Vanessa Wiseman, but they will also allow Caltrans to retire aging train cars and reduce the number of cars it leases from Amtrak.
Production of the cars will take place in Sacramento, beginning next summer. And, the first set of cars will hit the rails in mid-2020, Wiseman said. All of the new cars are expected to be in service by May 2023. They’ll come equipped with WiFi, power outlets, bike racks, overhead luggage storage, work tables and large windows, Caltrans officials said.
They are 100 percent “American made,” according to Caltrans, and each car will be built at the Siemans rail manufacturing plant in Sacramento.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #3405
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Excellent. Article doesn't make it clear but an even larger order of this same car is also underway for Midwest Amtrak routes, like Chicago-St. Louis and the Hiawatha service to Milwaukee, as well as a couple lines in Michigan. Combined with Siemens Charger locos and the track upgrades up to 110 mph-125 mph(180-200km/h) service will be possible.

Also just railfan wank but maybe these will be considered as an Amfleet replacement for the Northeast Corridor as well.

I hope the age of clunky trains on US passenger railways is a thing of the past. Passenger experience on these viaggio comfort based coaches will be much better than the glorified 1950's gallery cars that they were originally going to buy. These should be just as good as train in Europe, from the rider's perspective.

Here's a Charger in the California livery:

(edit: image is huge)
https://www.siemens.com/press/pool/d...4MO_300dpi.jpg

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; November 18th, 2017 at 12:04 AM.
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #3406
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

Look like they use the same base architecture as the Siemens brightline trains. Does anyone know the reason they didn't go double decker?

zaphod, DanielFA liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #3407
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post

Also just railfan wank but maybe these will be considered as an Amfleet replacement for the Northeast Corridor as well.
Good point.

AFAIK, Amtrak will soon be deciding whether to strip-down and upgrade the AmFleet cars or order new ones: I personally would like to see them order an entirely new fleet as well as rehabilitating the old ones, but that may not be feasible.

The current refresh of the cars is supposed to bide them ~6 in the interim, so it seems like any new procurements would arrive around 2024-2025 or so - and is why the cars are currently getting a refresh.

Quote:

Amtrak updates Northeast train seating, with some improvements in time for holidays

Author: Bart Jansen, USA TODAY
Published: 9:28 PM EST November 13, 2017

"Amtrak’s board will decide during the next year whether to completely overhaul the railroad cars, gutting them to their metal shells, or to buy new cars," Yachmetz said. "But the current renovations are intended to improve customer service immediately because replacing or gutting the cars will take at least six years."
Given some of the ideas that have been floated (eg reducing seat pitch, leg room, to squeeze in more passengers....), it seems the current view at the Amtrak is to increase efficiency by reducing costs. That is, I interpret some of their actions as prioritizing a situation in which they build ridership by offering lower fares while introducing more 'business comforts' into the rest of their service offerings as a means for greater revenue generation from that segment of the travel market (ie: the manner in which airlines operate) rather than focusing that strategy solely upon the Acela. The fact that the current CEO was formerly at Delta bolsters my thoughts on this.

Thus, I could envision a scenario in which the new cars are phased in slowly as business/premier seating and the rehabilitated cars serve as economy, with Acela being positioned more and more as the express option it's meant to be - provided anticipated improvements are made/initiated over the next 1.5 decades.

The big flaws in my hunch, of course, are that 1) I have no clue how much longer the consists can get, realistically, and 2) I don't know how many more trips Amtrak can run on the NEC given constraints at NYPS. So, there may be no sense in trying to increase the fleet size(?).

In any case, there are some things to be optimistic about, short-term (CA's 2018 State Rail Plan & HSR, Midwest improvements, WAS improvements, NEC, etc).

I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for any talk of modernizing their fare/revenue management systems to be more 'dynamic;' or at least, to maximize occupancy...once I hear that, I'll be very happy.

I do think it makes a lot of sense to bring ticket costs down rather than focusing predominately on speed/travel times, per say...

Though, it all hinges on Gateway/NYPS
Old November 26th, 2017, 05:49 AM   #3408
mrsmartman

Old Penn Station advocates drum up support through new ad campaign

A new ad campaign is looking to target riders getting into Penn Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed New York
Penn Station’s $1.6B revamp is moving forward, but that hasn’t stopped architects and city planners from presenting different visions of a new Penn Station. Vishaan Chakrabarti’s Practice for Architecture and Urbanism (PAU) proposed a plan that would move Madison Square Garden, but incorporate the shell of that building into the new station; and a group of architects and preservationists have been pushing to recreate the original Penn Station designed by McKim, Mead and White.

On Monday, this group, known as Rebuild Penn Station, launched an ad campaign to drum up support for their vision. Several New Jersey Transit trains arriving at Penn Station now feature illustrations by Jeff Stikeman that show off recreations of the old Penn Station. Amtrak and LIRR riders will also be given leaflets of these ads, and the question the group is trying to pose to them through this campaign is, “wouldn’t you rather arrive here?”

Read more at: https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/20/166...on-ad-campaign

TM_Germany, DanielFA liked this post
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #3409
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a shot-for-shot rebuild. Beautiful though it would naturally be, there's something very...tactless about historical recreations of that kind. The destruction of the old Penn Station was an architectural tragedy; let the dead lie sleeping.

DanielFA liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:18 PM   #3410
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm not sure how I'd feel about a shot-for-shot rebuild. Beautiful though it would naturally be, there's something very...tactless about historical recreations of that kind. The destruction of the old Penn Station was an architectural tragedy; let the dead lie sleeping.
Maybe this discussion belongs in another section, but I see no issues with improving on a previous design. Simply making an replica it pretty bad, but I would love to use architectural elements in an revamped Penn station.

aquaticko, DanielFA liked this post
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:11 AM   #3411
mrsmartman

The New Penn Station: Everything You Should Know

Replacing NYC’s most despised transportation hub—a win for both preservationists and more than 600,000 commuters a day—could be closer to happening than we thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD
Rebuild Penn Station hopes to not just recreate the spaciousness and beauty of the pre-1963 hub but also improve upon it. Under the organization’s proposal, platforms would be widened and the number of escalators would be tripled, which should “vastly increase vertical circulation,” Shubow says. More platform space would allow some commuters to wait on the platform, hopefully ending the terrifying scramble riders currently engage in each time a track number is announced...

Of course, there are competing schools of thought for what should be done with the current “modernist mediocrity,” as Scully called it.

Architect Vishaan Chakrabarti, in concert with New York Times architecture critic Michael Kimmelman, has suggested a glass enclosure over a repurposed Madison Square Garden. His plan would make what Kimmelman calls “a glass pavilion, which becomes a neighborhood gathering spot.” Kimmelman suggests it would be a relatively affordable solution.

Shubow disagrees. “This is a work of technology not of art,” he says of Chakrabarti’s renderings. “It will never be iconic." Besides, New York City has enough glass buildings already in his opinion...

An illustration of the exterior of the proposed newly rebuilt Penn Station, where Madison Square Garden and the current transportation hub are now located.

Read more at: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...w-penn-station

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from New York and Pennsylvania
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #3412
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

You just spamming this "Rebuild Penn Station" stuff to every rail US page every couple weeks?

MSG Co just spent over $1bil to pretty much completely rebuild MSG. They aren't moving any time soon (at least not without the already cash strapped city giving them a huuuuge briefcase full of money). Best NYC is getting is the gutted/rebuilt post office building and some reworked entrances on the current MSG buildings.
Old January 7th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #3413
mrsmartman

Cuomo floats use of eminent domain for Penn Station overhaul

Governor vows to deliver on plan to 'restructure and rebuild' train hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crain's New York Business
Gov. Andrew Cuomo promised in his annual State of the State address Wednesday to cooperate with the local real estate interests in the redevelopment of Penn Station—but also raised the possibility of expropriating their property.

The governor used part of the speech in the state capitol to reaffirm his intention to "restructure and rebuild" the 50-year-old Manhattan terminal, framing it at once as a matter of cosmetics and counterterrorism. He noted that the conversion of the Farley Post Office, which sits on the opposite side of Eighth Avenue, into the Moynihan Train Hall is already underway—creating a valve to ease pressure on Penn during the refurbishment.

At one point in his speech Cuomo appeared to raise the ultimate cudgel to threaten any private interest that might hold up the process...

Commuters packed into Penn Station Photo: Buck Ennis

Read more at: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ation-overhaul

Your Trusted Source of Photographs from New York and Pennsylvania
Old January 10th, 2018, 05:24 PM   #3414
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Are they really going to rebuilt Penn station?
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:45 AM   #3415
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Are they really going to rebuilt Penn station?
No, extensive renovation.

Here's the official projects: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/6th...ffice-building

Redeveloping the Farley former post office building, and redo-ing the entrances at Madison Square Garden.

nitramwin, DanielFA liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:32 AM   #3416
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train