daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #761
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
One thing that people in the USA will learn in the near future ... massive HSR lines came at an proibitive cost...
So do highways and airports and any type of infrastructure project. America can invade two countries at the cost of trillions of dollars but can't build a single ******* HSR line. PRIORITIES PEOPLE!!

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #762
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Rails cost a lot this and that, well so do roads, sewers, highways, runways, you name it! At least railways can use the countryside for high speed instead of noise from a couple thousand feet above!
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #763
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Congress Seeks Funding for High-Speed Rail Service From D.C. to N.Y.C.:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121600392.html
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #764
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Congress Seeks Funding for High-Speed Rail Service From D.C. to N.Y.C.:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121600392.html
Quote:
Rep. John L. Mica (R-Fla.), the House's chief proponent of high-speed rail, made the announcement yesterday at Washington's Union Station........The legislation called for high-speed service in 10 other rail corridors around the country, including Florida. The department's Federal Railroad Administration is asking private companies and state entities to help the federal government design, construct, finance, operate and maintain high-speed rail service. Mica estimated the cost at $18 billion and $40 billion...........
Is that 18-40 for just the NEC or does that include the ten other corridors? What ten corridors are included in that I wonder.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #765
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

It would be interesting if a Japanese consortium lead by one of the Big trading companies, with the JR group and one of the big Japanese train manufacturers were allowed to develop and operate a highspeed rail in the NEC with the backing of the US Federal and various state governments.
Subsidiaries only needed for acquisition of land in form of land leases and tax breaks.
Feds and state governments also needs to manage NIMBs.
If you look at it on a 20 years time span after completion, Japan will be raking in a fortune.

Who knows you might end up getting one of these.

Last edited by Tri-ring; December 17th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
Tri-ring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #766
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Any true high speed rail system in North America will 1) require the FRA to abolish its stupid locomotive requirements 2) entail the large scale nationalization and modernization of track. It will be expensive, but if they can find 700 billion dollars in an instant then this is peanuts.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #767
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

Obama and Biden will travel to their DC inauguration by train.

Clearly, I hope this signals that they are willing to spend more on Amtrak and build it into a first-world railroad.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #768
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-ny-t-5771094/
Amtrak awaits rail line to speed D.C.-N.Y. trip
Tom Ramstack THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Federal transportation leaders announced Monday that the government is seeking contractors to build a $30 billion to $40 billion high-speed rail line between Washington and New York that would be used exclusively by passenger trains.

The line is the first of a series of nationwide high-speed passenger rail lines that the government is considering funding. Other rail lines would run the length of California and Florida, spread throughout the Midwest with a hub in Chicago, connect Portland, Ore., with Seattle, and run between major cities in Texas.

"This is the most exciting development in U.S. passenger rail in years," Rep. John L. Mica, Florida Republican, said during a press conference at Washington's Union Station.

The new rail line would carry passengers between Washington and New York in no more than two hours, compared with nearly three hours now on Amtrak's high-speed Acela trains. Trips on slower Amtrak trains can take as long as four hours.

Amtrak shares its current Northeast Corridor rail line with freight and commuter trains, which can significantly increase the time it takes for passengers to arrive at their destinations.

Amtrak officials described the Transportation Department's request for proposals today as a significant step in getting the high-speed rail lines built exclusively for passenger service.

"It is a milestone to the extent that there is specific legislation requesting statements of interest from the private sector," said Cliff Black, an Amtrak spokesman.

However, he said, engineers face significant obstacles, such as figuring out where to put the rail line when urban development and natural barriers lie in its path. He mentioned downtown tunnels in Baltimore that are more than a century old and the Hudson River around New York City's Manhattan Island.

"Those need to be dealt with," Mr. Black said. "They are major capital projects, both of them costing presumably in the billions of dollars."

Plans for the rail line are part of a request for proposals to the U.S. Transportation Department that seeks contractors to build the system. It was authorized under the Rail Improvement Safety Act Congress approved in October that also funds subsidies for Amtrak and other railroads for the next five years.

The legislation would provide $13.06 billion to help bring the Northeast Corridor rail infrastructure to a state-of-good repair. It also provides $1.5 billion for the planning and development of high-speed rail corridors in other parts of the nation. The legislation requires operational reforms for Amtrak, such as measures to improve on-time performance and the appointment of a new board of directors.

A new rail line appears to be the kind of project that President-elect Barack Obama supports as part of his economic stimulus plan. The plan calls for heavy government investment in infrastructure projects, particularly if they are environmentally friendly.

Amtrak officials say passenger rail reduces automobile traffic congestion by providing an incentive for motorists to use mass transit and lessens fuel consumption.

A spokesman for Mr. Obama said the president-elect would withhold comment on the Amtrak project until after he assumes office Jan. 20.

"We're strongly sticking to the one-president-at-a-time rule," said Nick Shapiro, a spokesman for Mr. Obama.

The rail project already has support in Congress among both Republicans and Democrats, said Mary Kerr, a spokeswoman for the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

However, even passenger rail advocates cautioned against assumptions a new Northeast Corridor line is certain to be built.

Considering the multibillion-dollar price tag and engineering obstacles, "I'm not sure that makes it a doable thing," said Ross Capon, president of the National Association of Railroad Passengers, a passenger rail advocacy group. "I think we're still a few years away before you would get to moving beyond proposals."

Before the press conference in Washington with top local and federal transportation officials, another press conference was held in New York that included New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

"If the U.S. is to remain economically competitive with our economic competitors, we must develop high-speed transportation service for our great cities, just as they have for theirs," Mr. Bloomberg said.

*Tom LoBianco contributed to this report.
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #769
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Snow still canceling, delaying Amtrak in Northwest

Snow still canceling, delaying Amtrak in Northwest

Amtrak says winter weather is canceling or delaying service in the Northwest.

Heavy snow is still curtailing passenger train service in the Pacific Northwest.

Amtrak's Cascades service remained shut down today between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, British Columbia. Gus Melonas, a spokesman for Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, which operates the tracks, says partial service may be restored Tuesday.

Amtrak operates four Cascades trains daily between Eugene and Seattle and three daily between Seattle and Bellingham, including one in each direction extending northward to Vancouver. Officials had hoped to restore that service Monday.

Amtrak's Empire Builder and Coast Starlight trains are still running, but Melonas says there may be long delays.

He adds that a three-car freight train derailment in Portland, Ore., on Saturday was cleared the next day and is not affecting service.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...webamtrak.html
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #770
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

When today a french TGV almost reaches 400 mph in peak speed, I believe that new laid tracks for Amtrak should allow speeds of at least 200 mph. This would be normal and provide a true solution to transportation in America (besides huge parking lots near railway stations)...

By the way, if Amtrak or any railway company hires industrial designers to improve their products, material, stations, forward me, I would be grateful to help Serious! We will need a lot of energy and people to (re)develop everything...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #771
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18140

MoDot picks 5 finalists in Amtrak naming contest
25 December 2008

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Online voting has started in the Name the Train Contest for Amtrak's passenger rail service from Kansas City to St. Louis.

The Missouri Department of Transportation on Wednesday opened voting on five finalists chosen from more than 8,300 name submissions. Voting runs through Jan. 23 and the winner will be announced Jan. 30.

The finalists chosen were: Missouri Rail Blazer, Missouri River Runner, River Cities Corridor, ShowMeMO and Truman Service.

Those who submitted the finalists will receive two round-trip coach tickets to any Amtrak destination in Missouri and a gift basket from one of five participating cities located on the rail line.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #772
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
When today a french TGV almost reaches 400 mph in peak speed, I believe that new laid tracks for Amtrak should allow speeds of at least 200 mph. This would be normal and provide a true solution to transportation in America (besides huge parking lots near railway stations)...
TGV doesn't reach even close to 400mph, what are you talking about?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #773
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Today's Wall Street Journal projects that Obama's infrastructure plan will allow 8.5% for rail transit and 27.5% for roads.

If this was Bush most of you would be screaming.
I'd say that Bush made some spending decisions that are quite a bit worse than not dedicating enough funding to rail transit, the two are simply not in the same league.

Having said that, yes, spending more than three times as much on roads as on rail sounds retarded to me.
Koen Acacia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #774
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
TGV doesn't reach even close to 400mph, what are you talking about?
574,8 km/h (357,16 MPH): new world rail speed record set at 13h13 on 3 April 2007 (and I believe there is a more recent record). But of course, it is not in commercial use. The new AGV hits 360 km/h (223,69 mph) on commercial speed. To earn 20 mph of commercial speed is getting quite complicated above 200 mph, only a few experienced companies manage to do this, it is the case of Alstom for example. So we can dream reasonably of high speeds of more than 200 mph for the US if we have to lay new tracks That is the worst I wish you, a super brand new high speed and effective network!

Last edited by Micrav; December 29th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #775
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
MoDot picks 5 finalists in Amtrak naming contest
25 December 2008

The finalists chosen were: Missouri Rail Blazer, Missouri River Runner, River Cities Corridor, ShowMeMO and Truman Service.
I want to cry, I lived in an love Missouri, but such poorly attractive names for a new train line are to cry for...

Wished something better (Ok, I will wet my shirt here) knowing history of Missouri, could have been even Napoleon (knowing Missouri used to be a bit french and train is conquerant, but I agree it can be controversial, could have been Mizzoom or Missss (give idea of speed) "Tom Sawyer" (to give imagination to passengers. MissouExpress (to remind history of PonyExpress). Western Gateway Train (WGT)...

I hardly could vote with true heart for one of those 5 names... Truman is a controversial president, ShowMe state is enough on licence plates, Rail Blazer is coming from Superman era, River Cities Corridor is functional and Missouri River Runner is maybe the only one I could see on that train, it describes more or less this new line... We can also play with MRR as Missouri RailRoad... Maybe Missouri Runner would have been enough...

Anyway, good ... (I don't say the word to give chance) to this new train line!

Last edited by Micrav; December 29th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #776
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen Acacia View Post
I'd say that Bush made some spending decisions that are quite a bit worse than not dedicating enough funding to rail transit, the two are simply not in the same league.

Having said that, yes, spending more than three times as much on roads as on rail sounds retarded to me.
Knowing the infrastructure of roads in USA, it is needed, even if I am fan of railway. This money will mainly bethere for repairs and small improvements... But the network is so huge that it is significant amounts for the railway industry too...
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #777
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
574,8 km/h (357,16 MPH): new world rail speed record set at 13h13 on 3 April 2007 (and I believe there is a more recent record).
That was in a test run with a specially modified, shortened train set, you can't quote those numbers in an argument as they are completely unfeasible under normal operating conditions.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #778
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
That was in a test run with a specially modified, shortened train set, you can't quote those numbers in an argument as they are completely unfeasible under normal operating conditions.
Read the rest of my previous quote, i speak about conditions. But anyway, it shows where we are going with trains. If we are able to hit almost 400 mph with modified material now, we will maybe hit it one day on regular base. Remember, last century, in 100 years, we went from 50 to more than 300 km/h in commercial speed and people are always eager for more speed as long as it is safe. Trains will still compete with planes and trains will still compete with other trains like the Maglev too in Germany or China (but too expensive still).
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #779
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Read the rest of my previous quote, i speak about conditions. But anyway, it shows where we are going with trains. If we are able to hit almost 400 mph with modified material now, we will maybe hit it one day on regular base. Remember, last century, in 100 years, we went from 50 to more than 300 km/h in commercial speed and people are always eager for more speed as long as it is safe. Trains will still compete with planes and trains will still compete with other trains like the Maglev too in Germany or China (but too expensive still).
I remember arguing with another member within the forum about the speed limit of conventional train and my belief is that we are at the limit in terms of going faster economically.
Speed of conventional trains relies on lighter/stronger construction material, stronger magnets, and material with little loss in electrical rely.
Japanese maglev technology utilizes all three technology using carbon fiber material as hull and super conductors for magnets and electrical power lines.
One of the reasons why maglev is pursued is becuase it is more effiecient than conventional rail due to loss of energy through friction of rail and wheel.
(Basically it is more energy efficient to move mass that are afloat then that has contact with another surface creating friction)
Wear and tear of rails also accumilates exponentially with speed so it is meaningless to pursue conventional rail knowing it is going to cost more doing maintenance of rail and trainset when maglev has less impact to the guide way with no physical connection.
You also need to take in consideration of minimum curve radius for conventional rail again due to wear and tear (through horizontal force) while maglev has higher tolerance.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #780
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

show us a high-speed train Amtrack and maybe we'll give you some money. And you'll get ridership!
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train