daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #861
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

The lesson is, then, that sharing lines between freight and passenger lines will hurt one or the other.

Time to separate.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #862
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47


Or time for more parallel tracks to be built.

And an actual line dedicated only to HSR (passenger or freight), of which there are none in existence today. Honestly, how much would one measly HSR cost? The govt. should be proud there are shovel-ready HSR projects in the US, because it has been discouraging rail use for a long time.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #863
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I disagree, freight is a profitable business that has a large economic and positive environmental impact, compared to whatever tiny role today's Amtrak plays, so it shouldn't be potentially penalized

Amtrak to come back really just needs it's own lines in the corridors shown on that map. I say buy redundant freight mainlines now used as secondary routes, which there are definitely plenty of in the Midwest.
Trucking businesses don't have to maintain their own rights-of-way (the roads), unlike the railroads. Large railroad companies like BNSF have demonstrated that even with their expense (or rather, burden) of maintaining their rights-of-way, they can make a profit. This is due to the scientific efficiency of rail transportation. If trucking businesses had to maintain their own roads, then they would barely be able to strike even, or even operate with a loss.

So forget nationalizing the companies. Let's try instead just the mainline infrastructure property (excludes rolling stock, yard tracks, etc).

This will bring them (the railroads) up to an assumed on-par responsibility, and hence state of repair, as the interstate highway system, making railroad businesses even more profitable.

If there is a decent Interstate Highway System maintained at the federal level, it makes sense to have a Interstate Railroad System shared between UP, BNSF, CSX, NS, Amtrak, and others.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #864
ADCS
Kickin' it
 
ADCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Screwston, Plexus
Posts: 508
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
Trucking businesses don't have to maintain their own rights-of-way (the roads), unlike the railroads. Large railroad companies like BNSF have demonstrated that even with their expense (or rather, burden) of maintaining their rights-of-way, they can make a profit. This is due to the scientific efficiency of rail transportation. If trucking businesses had to maintain their own roads, then they would barely be able to strike even, or even operate with a loss.

So forget nationalizing the companies. Let's try instead just the mainline infrastructure property (excludes rolling stock, yard tracks, etc).

This will bring them (the railroads) up to an assumed on-par responsibility, and hence state of repair, as the interstate highway system, making railroad businesses even more profitable.

If there is a decent Interstate Highway System maintained at the federal level, it makes sense to have a Interstate Railroad System shared between UP, BNSF, CSX, NS, Amtrak, and others.
Yep. Nationalizing the infrastructure, much like Network Rail in Britain, is the next logical step for the US rail system. Hell, the Class I rails would be practically begging for it if they could guarantee that the gov't would do a national upgrade/replacement program for trackage.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #865
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

Should've done that a long time ago...
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #866
urbanfan89
Registered User
 
urbanfan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,502
Likes (Received): 67

That was the plan when in the late 1970s all the railways in the northeastern United States went bankrupt. The government picked up the pieces and formed Conrail, intending to extend it across the nation.

The lobby groups killed this plan, and Conrail has been split up and sold.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #867
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Hell, the Class I rails would be practically begging for it if they could guarantee that the gov't would do a national upgrade/replacement program for trackage.
All the more reason.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM   #868
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
That was the plan when in the late 1970s all the railways in the northeastern United States went bankrupt. The government picked up the pieces and formed Conrail, intending to extend it across the nation.

The lobby groups killed this plan, and Conrail has been split up and sold.
I did some reading on this. Seems like Reagan killed it.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #869
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

Well, that's a shame! Of course maybe history will repeat itself like it has with the recession and reducing our dependence on oil? Will we get another shot at nationalizing the infrastructure?

Didn't Reagan also kill the solar panels on the White House? he's pretty much the anti-PT.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #870
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3710

I never understood why American conservatives hate mass transit.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #871
urbanfan89
Registered User
 
urbanfan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,502
Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Well, that's a shame! Of course maybe history will repeat itself like it has with the recession and reducing our dependence on oil? Will we get another shot at nationalizing the infrastructure?
Well, you *could* hope that the Bush Economy pushes CSX/UP/NS/BNSF/etc to the brink of bankruptcy and makes them run to Uncle Sam for a bailout/nationalization...
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #872
dachacon
Registered User
 
dachacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I never understood why American conservatives hate mass transit.
conservative republicans have the mentality, that your on your own, you get what you deserve. so they view mass transit as a waste of money, same thing for welfare, and other social programs. funny how most of the republican party is white and have a higher median income. and they change their tone when there on the other side of the spectrum.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #873
Damarr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I never understood why American conservatives hate mass transit.
Conservatives tend to live in sparsely populated areas that would benefit little from mass transit. There is no coherent ideological reason for their opposition - after all, they have no problems with subsidies for airlines and Federal funds for highways. It's simply a matter of not wanting to spend money on something that doesn't directly benefit them.
Damarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #874
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Didn't Reagan also kill the solar panels on the White House?
I saw that in "Who Killed the Electric Car?" documentary. There is absolutely no sense in tearing down Carter's solar panels, when the fact is that they were already installed! It was a purely political gesture, with no rationality at all.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #875
ADCS
Kickin' it
 
ADCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Screwston, Plexus
Posts: 508
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarr View Post
Conservatives tend to live in sparsely populated areas that would benefit little from mass transit. There is no coherent ideological reason for their opposition - after all, they have no problems with subsidies for airlines and Federal funds for highways. It's simply a matter of not wanting to spend money on something that doesn't directly benefit them.
I disagree that there is no ideological reason. It's simple: mass transit funding does not disproportionately benefit societal elites. Highways do.

American conservatives want to make sure a concentrated elite benefit the most from any given policy while paying as little as possible. That's the essence of the ideology; the rest is just windowdressing, so to speak.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #876
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Well put - it is ironic that the highways meant to serve them are clogging up with the rest of the hardworking populace.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #877
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

What the -?
Memo to the States (and President Obama): It Aint Just Highway Money

Obama visited the Department of Transportation today and offered some inspiring words about the infrastructure investments in the recovery bill that he just signed into law. Unfortunately, he erred in terming the largest single category of funding in those provisions $27.5 billion of Surface Transportation Program (STP) monies highway spending. And the recovery.gov web site includes the same mistake in its description, calling this money highway infrastructure funds.

This is not just highway money and we shouldnt refer to it as such. Congress wisely used STP as the vehicle for this investment, knowing that this is a highly flexible way to funnel money into infrastructure. Why? Because there are fifteen eligible uses for the funding. Yes, highways are among them, but so are:

Transit projects
Bicycle and pedestrian projects
Truck stop electrification (which saves oil and reduces pollution, while generating jobs)
Intelligent Transportation Systems technology (tolling facilities, real-time information signs for highways and transit and other uses that make the system function more efficiently, and generate jobs to boot)
Environmental clean-up projects
And several other project types
In fact, this wasnt enough flexibility for Congress, which explicitly added another important eligible use (something the President should applaud and encourage, given his commitment to high-speed rail): passenger and freight rail transportation and port infrastructure projects.

As states hustle to spend this money, they should do so carefully, and take advantage of the flexibility allowed by STP. This means keeping an eye to the oil savings and pollution reduction potential of uses besides new highway construction. For example, a scuffle has already erupted in Texas as the transportation department scrambles to spend the money, plowing about 70 percent of it into toll roads.

The lesson? Government officials should speak in more balanced terms that include public transportation and other more energy-efficient uses along with highway spending. Because if they speak that way, theyre also more likely to think and act that way."

http://www.infrastructurist.com/2009...highway-money/
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #878
Quente
Al-l-,
 
Quente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Providence/Rio
Posts: 110
Likes (Received): 14

Biden rolls out $1.3 billion for Amtrak

Let's hope this is the first of many appropriations to support Amtrak: Biden rolls out $1.3 billion for Amtrak
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #879
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,243
Likes (Received): 47

yea I saw the video. Worth the watch!
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #880
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 636
Likes (Received): 10

Hmmmm... Biden has bold plans. Very good.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
marc, rail, train

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium