daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #1501
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Speaking of Amtrak Cascades

I had a pleasure of taking this ride. Being used to taking the train in Europe was a bit shocked when I saw the slow process of boarding plus manual assignment of seats on little stickers... It's easier to board Eurostar to Paris, really! And then when we approached Steilacoom the train stopped and the crew announced that they had to walk to bridge to check if it was safe Otherwise, very comfortable journey, large seats, quiet ride. And the train driver was great - guy obviously loves his job, his welcome message was one of a kind

Some shots I took below

King Street Station Seattle:

The train...

Inside the coach car:

Walking to the dining car:

Arrival at the Portland's Union Station:

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1502
jayOOfoshO

Likes (Received): 115

Hey when are they gonna start building the California high speed rail between SF and SD?

I believe the prop has passed the last elections. Is California gonna pay for it, or is Obama gonna include it in the stimulus? I thought he wanted to invest in CO2 emissions reduction, a high speed train linking California's cities would definitely help!

Are they stuck in the beaureucratic process, or are they actually gonna start building this vital infrastructure any time soon?
jayOOfoshO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #1503
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

The engineering is well under way, but given the terrible state of California's public finances, I don't expect the groundbreaking to occur soon.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #1504
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayOOfoshO View Post
Amtrak SUCKS!

One time I was in the middle of Iowa and took a train to Chicago.... the train arrived in Iowa with a 12 hour delay and took an extra 2-3 hours to get to Chicago!

It's worse than Italian railways!
The disillusionment of riders who travel on long-distance Amtrak trains has me scared of the rest of the Amtrak system, but that said, you should at least try the Pacific Surfliner between LA and SD. That train runs a lot faster.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #1505
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
The engineering is well under way, but given the terrible state of California's public finances, I don't expect the groundbreaking to occur soon.
Obama doesn't wanna help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
The disillusionment of riders who travel on long-distance Amtrak trains has me scared of the rest of the Amtrak system, but that said, you should at least try the Pacific Surfliner between LA and SD. That train runs a lot faster.
Oh yeah? I guess I should try it one day
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #1506
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

obamas contributing about 1 billion a year for high speed rail and the bonds that have been reserved for the CHSR have not been sold yet.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1507
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Hey Bart, when was your Seattle trip?

King Street station is in the process of undergoing a major renovation:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/kingstreet.htm

They've replaced the roof on both the main terminal and clock tower with the original style terra cotta tiles, removed the microwave antena, refurbished the clock, removed the drop ceiling in the main terminal, and restored to original ornate ceilings.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1508
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

End of AUG '08. I've spent 2 weeks in WA and OR and enjoyed it very much. You live in a great city
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1509
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Obama doesn't wanna help?
The Federal budget is in even worse shape than the California state budget (The US Treasury Department just reported in the last day or so that income tax revenues are off over 30% compared with last year).

(And *DON'T* get me started on Wisconsin's state budget - our state deficit is worse on a per-capita basis than even California's!)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1510
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Ohio towns lobby for stops on Amtrak plan
14 June 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - As Amtrak studies a proposed passenger rail line linking Ohio's major cities, small towns along the 250-mile route are lobbying hard not to be left behind.

Galion city manager Dave Oles says a train station is just the sort of hub that can spark new economic development.

In Riverside, city officials already have drawn up plans for a train station that would feed travelers to the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Amtrak is studying what it would take to run 79-mph trains along existing freight tracks connecting Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. Gov. Ted Strickland wants the project funded with at least $250 million in federal stimulus money.

Amtrak's study, which will include preferred stops, is expected by the end of August.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1511
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The Federal budget is in even worse shape than the California state budget (The US Treasury Department just reported in the last day or so that income tax revenues are off over 30% compared with last year).

(And *DON'T* get me started on Wisconsin's state budget - our state deficit is worse on a per-capita basis than even California's!)

Mike
well yeah but we're gonna have an increase in government borrowing for federal projects... my question was can we not put the high speed rail system between SF and SD in that too?
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #1512
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

The people want more rail transit. Just read the article posted by hksyline about small town Ohio mayors lobbying for stops in their towns.

Now is the time to expand and upgrade rail service in the U.S.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #1513
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The people want more rail transit. Just read the article posted by hksyline about small town Ohio mayors lobbying for stops in their towns.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1514
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:

Or look at ridership figures for the past 6 years or so...
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1515
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
well yeah but we're gonna have an increase in government borrowing for federal projects... my question was can we not put the high speed rail system between SF and SD in that too?
at a later date.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1516
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Ohio towns lobby for stops on Amtrak plan
14 June 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - As Amtrak studies a proposed passenger rail line linking Ohio's major cities, small towns along the 250-mile route are lobbying hard not to be left behind.

Galion city manager Dave Oles says a train station is just the sort of hub that can spark new economic development.

In Riverside, city officials already have drawn up plans for a train station that would feed travelers to the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Amtrak is studying what it would take to run 79-mph trains along existing freight tracks connecting Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. Gov. Ted Strickland wants the project funded with at least $250 million in federal stimulus money.

Amtrak's study, which will include preferred stops, is expected by the end of August.

Yea I want Amtrak to have a stop in Columbus. Its hard to believe that one of the nations top 20 cities (Columbus) has NO rail service what-so-ever!! I'm over it
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #1517
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

I think Columbus,OH is the largest city in the US with no form of rail transit whatsoever.

Last edited by LtBk; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1518
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Actually, Phoenix is the largest U.S. city without Amtrak service. There is a stop about 37 miles to the south in Maricopa for Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle trains.

Nahsville, Memphis, Des Moines, St. Petersburgh, Las Vegas, and Louisville are other major cities without Amtrak service.

Many other cities have one train a day such as Indianapolis and Atlanta.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #1519
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Actually, Phoenix is the largest U.S. city without Amtrak service. There is a stop about 37 miles to the south in Maricopa for Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle trains.

Nahsville, Memphis, Des Moines, St. Petersburgh, Las Vegas, and Louisville are other major cities without Amtrak service.

Many other cities have one train a day such as Indianapolis and Atlanta.
jeez compared to Europe or Japan that is crazy!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1520
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
jeez compared to Europe or Japan that is crazy!
The largest settlement I've ever seen without rail access is my grandmother's village of 200...
RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train