daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #1601
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

hkskyline, where do you search for rail news?
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1602
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
Interesting article, hkskyline. The number 110 mph is so important everywhere because the diesels can run that fast. They almost never do.

And Wi-Fi must be installed on all Amtrak trains.
Speeds up to and exceeding 110 mph (about 175 km/h) are certainly possible with diesels, simply requiring the right motor drive gear ratio on the trains' powered axles. With proper aerodynamics, they should be able to go as fast as any straight electrics.

Most diesel locomotives in North America are geared for far slower speeds, though, favoring lugging power in freight service (79 mph/130 km/h maximum speed for high-priority mainline trains, slower for bulk commodities).

Straight electrics do have a substantial weight/efficiency advantage in high-speed passenger service, though, not requiring large, heavy engine blocks and main generators.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1603
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2772

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,395606.story

Amtrak Ridership Down By 1 Million

Associated Press

October 13, 2009

Amtrak said Monday that its ridership dropped by more than 1 million passengers during the past year, but it was still the second-highest year in the railroad's history.

Figures released by the nation's intercity rail operator show that Amtrak carried 27.2 million passengers during the 12 months ending Sept. 30. Amtrak's record was 28.7 million passengers during the previous year, a period coinciding with record-high gas prices.

Still, ridership was up over two years ago by 5.1 percent.

Amtrak President and CEO Joseph Boardman blamed the decline on the weakened economy, although travel was up on some short-distance routes and on the railroad's 15 long-distance trains.

"In a difficult year for the economy — particularly in the travel industry — Amtrak ridership has remained strong albeit with some regional variation," Boardman said. "In particular, reduced business travel along the Northeast corridor prevented us from reaching the ridership we achieved last year."

The number of passengers that Amtrak carries increased steadily from 2002 to 2007 before the sharp spike last year.

Amtrak said that ticket revenue for the past year was $1.6 billion, down 7.8 percent from last year, but up 5.3 percent from two years ago.
Copyright © 2009, The Hartford Courant
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #1604
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Why don't they just give up on trains anyway. Its pretty impossible. The car as won...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #1605
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Why don't they just give up on trains anyway. Its pretty impossible. The car as won...
Car has won? Won what? Award for worst possible invention to be mass produced?

In any case, the 8 billion for rail transportation should be 20 billion, and electrification will have to be done at some point as petro fuels run out.

Also, as Amtrak numbers may decline slightly after a fuel price spike, the traffic between NY and philly, and NY and new haven etc is covered by transit agencies, so it's not all fewer trips over all, they could have migrated to transit somewhat. I know when i started riding the NEC back in 2001 there were about 2/3 less people than there are now. There are so many more people, that NJT is replacing all of its old single level coaches with multilevel coaches, as well as having a want for more EMU than it has now when the arrow 3 are replaced.

I want to see electric freight return, and all amtk routes electrified.

- A
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #1606
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Car has won? Won what? Award for worst possible invention to be mass produced?

In any case, the 8 billion for rail transportation should be 20 billion, and electrification will have to be done at some point as petro fuels run out.

Also, as Amtrak numbers may decline slightly after a fuel price spike, the traffic between NY and philly, and NY and new haven etc is covered by transit agencies, so it's not all fewer trips over all, they could have migrated to transit somewhat. I know when i started riding the NEC back in 2001 there were about 2/3 less people than there are now. There are so many more people, that NJT is replacing all of its old single level coaches with multilevel coaches, as well as having a want for more EMU than it has now when the arrow 3 are replaced.

- A
Go to LA, Dallas, Phoenix. Perfectly nice places...but the car has won, ull see wot I mean...(yes I have been there)

I <3 London
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #1607
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Well for one thing not everyone can afford to own a car. Also, it's pretty obvious that not everyone should be given a license.

With our lacking public transit options, anyone who falls into one of those two categories is pretty much screwed.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #1608
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Named Thor View Post
Well for one thing not everyone can afford to own a car. Also, it's pretty obvious that not everyone should be given a license.

With our lacking public transit options, anyone who falls into one of those two categories is pretty much screwed.
Thats true. But the thing is that in general outside the north east there isnt and public transit. Maybe the odd bus route train small light rail system.

I think its is a lot to do. I think its one of them things where it would be better to give some places good public transit rather than all places a bit of it, which from what I've seen has been done up to now...
leaves a bit of a half done job

I <3 London
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #1609
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:

- A
Thats a job and a half. It will take 10years just to think about it, another 10 years to plan it...a lot of time wasting goes on...
Even tho it could really be done in a lot less time...

I <3 London
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1610
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Go to LA, Dallas, Phoenix. Perfectly nice places...but the car has won, ull see wot I mean...(yes I have been there)
i cant speak for dallas or phoenix, but as a resident of los angeles, i live happily with out a car. the car is losing its grip on Los Angeles as the city densifies and more rail lines open. our newest line opens in November, another is under construction, with 3 more close to breaking ground. in 10 years los angeles will be a totally different place.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #1611
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
i cant speak for dallas or phoenix, but as a resident of los angeles, i live happily with out a car. the car is losing its grip on Los Angeles as the city densifies and more rail lines open. our newest line opens in November, another is under construction, with 3 more close to breaking ground. in 10 years los angeles will be a totally different place.
I would like to agree with you on that, you are probably right aswell in your area. But LA is such a huge place. Cities of that size that has a decent amount of mass transit tend to have things like subway networks with 12+ lines and 200+ stations etc

When I was last in Santa Monica the only way I could 'pop down to the shops' was by car. Too far/hot to walk, no buses in that area (alothough there are buses in other parts) etc...

Something that made me laugh when I was watching that morning show (forgot the name) on KTLA a woman had lived in LA her whole life and had never heard of the red line subway :S

But to be far on LA...Dallas and Pheonix from what I could see where even more car orientated...

I <3 London
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1612
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

New Jersey Transit has the Biggest Commuter Rail network in the US and will add another 200 miles by 2020, so maybe Amtrak can learn some ideas from us , we have Diesel n Electric Routes. 7 Electric Routes , Diesel, you can learn something form SEPTA as well.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1613
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Well firstly, LA has a metro, and used to have a streetcar system. Sadly a corporation lead by standard oil, the rubber industry, and GM bought out Pacific Electric's Red Car streetcar system, which had a massive service area, and over 100 streetcars in the downtown area alone. They also have the MetroLink. A smaller tram system is in place there as well.

Phoenix just opened a light rail system, which will be expanded.

Dallas has http://www.dart.org/ which is opening a new rail line next year and all ready has 2 up and running.

Just because people choose to drive vs take rail transportation does not mean "the car has won". You need to do a lot more research. Have a nice day.

- A

Last edited by metsfan; October 17th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1614
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
New Jersey Transit has the Biggest Commuter Rail network in the US and will add another 200 miles by 2020, so maybe Amtrak can learn some ideas from us , we have Diesel n Electric Routes. 7 Electric Routes , Diesel, you can learn something form SEPTA as well.

~Corey
Yea, i heard about this and have seen maps. They are expanding light rail south from camden, and north from tonnelly ave. They are also looking at MOM via monmouth jct DMU heavy rail, Lackawanna cutoff to east stroudsburg, former reading line to west trenton off the RVL near bound brook station, another line to scranton, and some other smaller projects. It will be a beautiful day once all these projects are in place and running.

http://www.geocities.com/transit383/njt2020.gif

- A
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #1615
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Well firstly, LA has a metro

Just because people choose to drive vs take rail transportation does not mean "the car has won". You need to do a lot more research. Have a nice day.

- A
"Well firstly, LA has a metro"...ish yeah I know it does but its not really the size it needs to be for a city that bit...

And the fact that people are mainly choosing to drive shows the car has won. Not that its even a bad thing, but its just pollution and the fact the in LA even 12 lane roads get jammed...
I was stuck on the Santa Monica freeway for ages last summer.

The main issue is the phsycology of people. It don't matter how many light rail lines or subways you put in, if they dnt wanna use them over their car.

I <3 London
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1616
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
the main issue is the phsycology of people. It don't matter how many light rail lines or subways you put in, if they dnt wanna use them over their car.
Once $12/gallon gas becomes reality, and that commute on the 10 (the aforementioned Santa Monica Frwy) becomes economically untenable, people will really start liking that subway or light rail line...
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1617
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Just an interesting review I came across. A British journalist's review of his trip on Amtrak:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hu...he-strain.html
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1618
ranieri

Likes (Received): 5

oh woe is me

Back in the late 90's my mother and I rode Amtrak from Philadelphia to North Carolina to visit my brother. The cars were smelly and dirty, they were from the 70's. The train was outrun by the highway drivers next to us. And we had to wait for freight to go by before were allowed on the "main line". On top of that, we still had to drive another 90 minutes from the station to our destination. Nice.
ranieri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1619
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
When I was last in Santa Monica the only way I could 'pop down to the shops' was by car.
Amazing. Parking costs quite a bit over there. I went there several times.

I'm betting the purple line subway should outdo the convenience of cars.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #1620
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
Amazing. Parking costs quite a bit over there. I went there several times.

I'm betting the purple line subway should outdo the convenience of cars.
the parking lot was free as it was for the shop i was in
If it goes to the places I want it will do

I <3 London

Tags
marc, rail, train