daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1661
K_

Likes (Received): 243

It's nice to see rail make a comeback, but it's a pity to see so many projects that really lack the ambition to be usefull.
The schedule contains only a handful of trains per day. The trains used are heavy and slow. If you really want people to use it you need at least a train every half hour, and higher top speeds.
A reform of the FRA is really needed if you want a proper rail renaissance in the US.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #1662
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Are those crowds from opening day or is that a typical Saturday?

goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #1663
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Are those crowds from opening day or is that a typical Saturday?
I don't think it runs on weekends, just rush hour on weekdays. so yeah, it was just like that on opening day

minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #1664
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Their website is a little out of date because as of now they are still promoting the first day of service on Nov. 16, 2009. The schedule seems a little ridiculous on the weekends. The first train heading downtown on Saturday isn't until 12:30 in the afternoon! Sundays is 10:30 am though. On Saturdays I'd have a train no later than 9am.

goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #1665
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

yeah, i also think they take the name 'commuter rail' a little too literally

minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1666
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2463

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Named Thor View Post
ICE
I think I just died.

Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1667
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Heres sum Amtrak ICE & X2000 videos

Amtrak didn't go with these 2 trains due to the cost and they found it would fit onto the NEC.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1668
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Cool videos! I was not aware they ever ran ICE trainsets on the NEC, thanks!

Steve

tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #1669
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some interesting pictures ive found.

Inside a Sold out Amtrak Regional Train, Amtrak Regional has been selling out at least 5 trains a day.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madbust...49714/sizes/o/

Acela Bussiness Car

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cluth/120019532/sizes/l/

New Northeast Corridor Catenary

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4809445...58376/sizes/l/

Old PRR Catenary which be replaced with the new kind sometime this decade.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cslinge...11865/sizes/l/

More Acela clips

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevharb...00074/sizes/l/

Acela Express First Class from New York Penn Station to Boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmNV5K86DuM

Acela Express Train 2173 A/D Rt.128 Station

Old March 31st, 2010, 03:34 AM   #1670
Storm9

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What an appaling proposure: tax gas like it were tobbaco so people would "give trains a chance". This is an indeed leftist grow-the-government argument. Nonetheless, I'd support a $0.20-0.30 inrease in the federal gas tax because we need more money to repair bridges, repave highways etc. But no gas tax money should be diverted to rail whatsoever... create a track (!) tax if you want to.
/rant on
It is disgusting to see how car centered suburbia is. Where I live its all strip malls and parking lots, very little trees. On a 100 acre plot 20 acres is the actual store an 80 is the parking lot. If we used less space then we can have more greener environment and cleaner air. I don't care if global warming is man made or not. More plants/trees = cleaner air for me to breathe in my city. Less cars = better environment.
/rant off

A gas tax is appropriate in urban areas in order to support public transit. If we have better public transit we won't need to expand highways. I think cars are fine for weekends but to commute one should use public transit if you are commuting from Suburbs to City.

Storm9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1671
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

I agree with Storm9, I find the car centric suburbia a trend that needs to die. Most of the land that is utilized is for automobilies when we could use it for green space and actual buildings. All you need to do is make driving a bad habbit. A 10 cents a gallon federal gas tax increase is not perposterous in any way since it is only 9.5 cents right now. However, I think the Highway Trust fund should be used for roadway maintenance only, no expansions or new Interstates. Our road network is already overexpanded, now it is time to maintain it and promote new methods of travel.

G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1672
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Yeah, I've already seen most (but not all) of those ICE and X2000 videos. I think they are quite cool, though completely out of place of course. But Nexis, I don't think Amtrak didn't buy them because they were to expensive (I'd bet the Acelas were more expensive), but instead because the FRA doesn't allow them to be run on US railways. The FRA considers them to be unsafe because the FRA considers (high) weight to be the only factor in train safety.
I do think it is quite interesting that Amtrak added a small pink line below the red, it's because the red line on the ICEs is a trademark of Deutsche Bahn.

But on to some Amtrak news; Amtrak is appearently looking to replace its AEM-7 and HHP-8 electric locomotives (the HHP-8s being only 10 (!) years old), the most likely contender (if you are to believe the internet) being Bombadiers ALP-46s (aka DB class 101), which were also ordered by New Jersey Transit.

eg these trains:

(photo credit: Wikipedia/Adolch)

Amtrak is also looking into replacing the Acelas with trains which are supposed to reach 180 mph (290km/h?). And, while not being Amtrak related, Caltrains applied for a waiver to run European style double-decker EMUs, probally to be supplied by Siemens or Alstom.

I thought this was al quite interesting.

Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1673
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I still have the ceramic coffee mug that I got as a souvenir when I test rode that ICE train in the Hiawatha corridor back in 1993! Seeing as that line is not electrified, it was pulled by one of their conventional diesel locomotives. I thought that it was pretty interesting.

Mike

mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1674
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm9 View Post
/rant on
It is disgusting to see how car centered suburbia is. Where I live its all strip malls and parking lots, very little trees. On a 100 acre plot 20 acres is the actual store an 80 is the parking lot. If we used less space then we can have more greener environment and cleaner air. I don't care if global warming is man made or not. More plants/trees = cleaner air for me to breathe in my city. Less cars = better environment.
/rant off

A gas tax is appropriate in urban areas in order to support public transit. If we have better public transit we won't need to expand highways. I think cars are fine for weekends but to commute one should use public transit if you are commuting from Suburbs to City.
Go plant a tree if it will make you feel better. Look, Chicago and NYC have been building the public transit infrastructure they now have for probably 100 years and outside of those two cities you still have a car centric society. You can't just snap your fingers and have everyone agree to drive out of the way to a parking lot so they can walk in the weather into a dirty station to pay more money to ride a dirty train to another dirty station and then enjoy a 5 block walk in the rain. Gosh, sign me up, that sounds so much better than driving my car straight from my driveway to my covered parking garage. If you live in the right place and work in the right place public transit makes a ton of sense, but it can't and won't work for everyone.

The big cities are working on these things. Chicago and NYC are in the front and continue to improve things. Other places like LA, Philadelphia and the DC-Baltimore are on the heels of the other two and depending on where you live and work they offer good options. Amtrak already suppliments things in and between many of those ares, esp in the NEC where many afternoons you can't find a seat. But please spare me this elietist crap about raising EVERYONE's taxes to push people into your mindset.

The left's answer to everything is taxes. "We are smarter and more enlightened than everyone else and we think everyone should love public transit and hate cars so lets tax gas so much that everyone will be forced to see things the way we do." "Hey, we'll have a super side effect, we'll raise more money and we can spend $1.30 for every $1.00 of that we get too and we can grow the Gov't even bigger." "What, when people stop driving that revenue stream will run dry?" "No worries, there's always the rich." Gosh, that's a tiring arguement!

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #1675
NorthaBmore

Likes (Received): 7

NYC Commuter Rail Systems

The New York City Commuter Rail Network Consists of 3 systems: Metro-North and Long Island Railroad (owned by the MTA), and New Jersey Transit.

Metro-North:

Stations: 120
Daily Ridership: 281,100

Long Island Railroad:

Stations: 124
Daily Ridership: 330,200

New Jersey Transit:

Stations: 154
Daily Ridership: 277,000 as of 2007

NorthaBmore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1676
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Does it run in tunnels when in the city?

Steve

tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1677
Nexis
Dark Wolf

We have a NJT Thread already and a MTA Thread aswell i believe? So why do we need this one?

Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1678
NorthaBmore

PROJECTS

Long Island Railroad East Side Access: East Side Access is a project by the MTA to build new tunnels under the East River, allowing Long Island Railroad Trains to terminate at Grand Central Terminal (currently the Metro-North terminal) as well as Penn Station, where the LIRR currently terminates. Grand Central is located in a more central location in relation to jobs in Midtown Manhattan than Penn Station. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2016.
MTA Website: http://www.mta.info/capconstr/esas/

New Jersey Transit (ARC): ARC (Access to the Region's Core), now known as the Mass Transit Tunnel, is a project by New Jersey Transit to build a second set of tunnels under the Hudson River to ease overcrowding on the existing Hudson River Tunnels. This will increase the amount of trains that New Jersey Transit can run into Penn Station every hour from 23 trains per hour to 48 trains per hour. These new tunnels will also allow riders on the Bergen County & Main, Pascack Valley, and Raritan Valley Lines (colored yellow, violet, and orange respectively on the New Jersey Transit Map) to have a one-seat ride to Manhattan. Currently the Bergen County, Main, and Pascack Valley Lines currently terminate at Hoboken and the Raritan Valley Line terminates at Newark, both in New Jersey. Trains on these lines do not continue to Manhattan for two reasons: the existing tunnel is used to capacity, and these lines aren't electrified (only electric trains a re allowed in the existing tunnel). The project also includes an expansion of the overcrowded Penn Station under 34th street. This project will raise ridership on the NJT system greatly and is scheduled to be complete in 2017.
Map of the Plan:

Other NJT Commuter Rail projects in the works include
Northern Branch: http://www.northernbranchcorridor.com/
Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex Line: http://www.planning.co.ocean.nj.us/mom.htm
West Trenton Line: http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servl...n=Project016To

Metro-North Projects:
Tappan Zee Bridge Commuter Rail Line: http://www.nysthruway.gov/projectsan...envreview.html
Danbury Branch Electrification: http://www.danburybranchstudy.com/
Penn Station Access (essentially the opposite of East Side Access, although still in the planning stages): http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/psas/overview.html

Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1679
NorthaBmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
Does it run in tunnels when in the city?
Yes, all of the systems run in tunnels in the city

Old April 4th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1680
lowes48

Likes (Received): 15

I know that I'm responding to a lot of old arguments here, but BESIDES the fact that many parts of the US are so sparsely populated, almost EVERY single passenger train in the US runs on tracks that are OWNED and OPERATED by Class 1 FREIGHT railroads. Which may I remind everyone, use Diesel and are therefore comparatively very slow, running at appx. 65 mph MAX, much slower in urban areas. Therefore, if the US wants to create a nationwide HSR system, there are 2 possible options I can think of, both possessing drawbacks, severity of which i'll let you fine people decide:

1.Refit existing rail for High Speed service- Going back to what I said above, almost all passenger rail routes run on rail owned by freight railroad companies. If they decide to run high speed on those very same routes, then companies will have to coordinate the operation of high speed rail on the exact same track as the slower freight trains. It's complicated enough on the Northeast corridor, but trying to keep track of an ENTIRE nation of freight AND high speed trains running on the same rail at the same time without crashing into each other would be a logistical nightmare. It might work in a smaller country size wise such as Germany and England, but in the US? Totally different animal.

2. Build completely new track solely for High Speed Rail- Once again, the US is much larger than many European nations, which means that they would have to pay much more for a rail system than a smaller nation. Plus since much of the routes being built would pretty much just parallel existing tracks, well it's kind of a waste.

All in all, given the size of the total US and the wide range of density in different spots, it seems more practical to build high speed rail only in densely populated areas and just leave the more sparely inhabited areas alone.
lowes48 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marc, rail, train