daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1881
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

After our tea party governor in Florida repeals all our HSR funding, I would imagine CA will have a ball. :P
He softened his stance a bit pre-election.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ott-opposition

But then again, so did Mayor Mcgiinn in Seattle on the Alaskan Way Viaduct. He's been a thorn in the city council's side on the matter ever since. (not that Im comparing McGinn to a tea-partier, but the point remains that election promises are like a hooker telling you she likes you)

Wisconsin is the one that really screws up some HSR projects. New gov flat out said he was GOING to cancel the Milwaukee to Madison project. Even made a website about it: http://notrain.com/
Illinois and Minnesota should respond by building the HSR in a big ring through Michigan around WI

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1882
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Oh thank GOD those contractors have agreed to build the tunnel under the current budget, otherwise McGinn will do all he can to shoot down the project. Speaking of HSR, looks like the there is zero hope for the Eugen-Portland-Seattle-Vancouver line in the coming two decades. Sigh.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1883
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

If the train is going to Vancouver BC, the Canadians would have to get involed (VIA rail_ so it wasnt gonna happen anyway, not to mention the King Street Station is too small.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #1884
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
If the train is going to Vancouver BC, the Canadians would have to get involed (VIA rail_ so it wasnt gonna happen anyway, not to mention the King Street Station is too small.
Yet theres a line already , called Amtrak Cascades. All they need is speed increased and Electrification.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1885
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

^Thats what Im talking about, the canadians arent going to fund that.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1886
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
He softened his stance a bit pre-election.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ott-opposition

But then again, so did Mayor Mcgiinn in Seattle on the Alaskan Way Viaduct. He's been a thorn in the city council's side on the matter ever since. (not that Im comparing McGinn to a tea-partier, but the point remains that election promises are like a hooker telling you she likes you)

Wisconsin is the one that really screws up some HSR projects. New gov flat out said he was GOING to cancel the Milwaukee to Madison project. Even made a website about it: http://notrain.com/
Illinois and Minnesota should respond by building the HSR in a big ring through Michigan around WI
OMG.. "notrain.com"... That is just sad.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1887
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Yet theres a line already , called Amtrak Cascades. All they need is speed increased and Electrification.
I think the biggest problem is that HSR usually require grade separated tracks which would be insane considering how many railroad crossings there are near downtown Seattle. Also Amtrak Cascades or even the Sounder commute train constantly face landslide problems. Electrification probably won't happen anyway, they can just purchase Acela trainsets to start with.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #1888
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

They should find a way, if there is any, to make at least the train sets in their narrower sense (vehicles + personnel) able to pay themselves through fares. I guess the American public would accept the idea of government building tracks like it builds highways, but I'm skeptical about the idea of public employees driving trains, collecting fares that would in turn be cheap...

If you have a good train scheme, it would be fair to say it should at least break even without considering capital expenditures on tracks and signaling - a low but fair bar of financial feasibility. The candidate did make a point about the long-term costs of covering operational losses of the trains themselves.
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #1889
aliesperet
Alfenaar!

Likes (Received): 3

America first needs to improve it's stock, that looks horrible!

Dutch railways Rocks!
aliesperet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1890
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliesperet View Post

Dutch railways Rocks!
The Dutch railways prove that they can make nice looking trains, but don't mind doing so at the expense of passenger comfort.
The best double-decker trains are the Swiss IC2000 cars , which just happen to be based on an American idea...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1891
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They should find a way, if there is any, to make at least the train sets in their narrower sense (vehicles + personnel) able to pay themselves through fares. I guess the American public would accept the idea of government building tracks like it builds highways, but I'm skeptical about the idea of public employees driving trains, collecting fares that would in turn be cheap...
One thing that would need to happen for that is for RFA standards to be modified so that off the shelf European equipment can be bought.
Many Intercity Rail networks in Europe manage to recover all, or a significant part of their operating costs through fare intake. The running costs of American style equipment is however a lot higher.
So maybe the railways are entitled to subsidy, but it should be called "compensation" for not being able to employ best practices.
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #1892
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think the biggest problem is that HSR usually require grade separated tracks which would be insane considering how many railroad crossings there are near downtown Seattle. Also Amtrak Cascades or even the Sounder commute train constantly face landslide problems. Electrification probably won't happen anyway, they can just purchase Acela trainsets to start with.
There was a lot of chatter within railfan circles during the great fuel price spike of 2008 about BNSF possibly studying wholesale electrification of its system.

Anyways, a true high-speed line (like those in China, Europe and so forth) in the Pacific Northwest/Cascades corridor would likely require that large percentages of the trackage be tunneled, especially north of I-90 in the Seattle area - and it would be likely that much of the Seattle station would also be inside a tunnel, or be built south of downtown in the area of the stadia/I-90.

In China, for example, the last 50-60 km of the planned true high-speed line into Hong Kong will be tunneled.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #1893
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

If you have a good train scheme, it would be fair to say it should at least break even without considering capital expenditures on tracks and signaling - a low but fair bar of financial feasibility. The candidate did make a point about the long-term costs of covering operational losses of the trains themselves.
why , that makes no sense. Your a train hating moron......none of the systems except a few run on profit......even ur Euro system.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1894
K_

Quote:
why , that makes no sense. Your a train hating moron......none of the systems except a few run on profit......even ur Euro system.
Actually the better run "Euro systems" do run for profit. SBB does not get subsidies for its intercity services, and as far as I known, neither does DB, nor does NS.
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1895
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Actually the better run "Euro systems" do run for profit. SBB does not get subsidies for its intercity services, and as far as I known, neither does DB, nor does NS.
Oh , they do? Interesting , but the Majority don't. If they upgraded all the tracks and switches and overall system here in NJ we probably run on profit.
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1896
K_

Quote:
Oh , they do? Interesting , but the Majority don't. If they upgraded all the tracks and switches and overall system here in NJ we probably run on profit.
It depends what you call the majority. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of medium distance intercity services in Europe at least breaks even. Those systems that are not very efficient run far less trains...

What needs a lot of money are regional and commuter services. An hourly interval intercity service only needs an average occupancy of about 30% to break even.
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1897
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Quote:
Did you actually read what I wrote? I'm referring to vehicle operations + capital costs, completely excluding trackage, stations and signaling.
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1898
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It depends what you call the majority. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of medium distance intercity services in Europe at least breaks even. Those systems that are not very efficient run far less trains...

What needs a lot of money are regional and commuter services. An hourly interval intercity service only needs an average occupancy of about 30% to break even.
Well yea that wouldn't suprise me , the Northeastern Amtrak routes come close or are profitable. I thought you mean't commuter.
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1899
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliesperet View Post

Dutch railways Rocks!
Aside for being blah theres nothing wrong with our rolling stock.....its mostly Asian hench why the blah. But Asian trains are more comfortable then Euro trains.
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #1900
K_

Quote:
Aside for being blah theres nothing wrong with our rolling stock.....its mostly Asian hench why the blah. But Asian trains are more comfortable then Euro trains.
Could you translate that to English for me?

Tags
marc, rail, train