daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3773

Nightsky’s new London trip part 1 – Introduction/Arrival

London, United Kingdom´s capital Europe´s largest city outside Russia is also a world known historic metropolis as most people know. I visited London with a friend in April 1999 for 5 days and for a week with my girlfriend in May 2005. Since the last visit, my London page has been heavily updated and been divided into 17 different sections with hundreds of pictures instead of just 3 sections with just about 30 pictures. But it is still u/c, so I will post the pics in a new serie of coming threads.

In 2005, I came back together with my girlfriend. We stayed at the cheap and shabby Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel at Piccadilly Circus for one week in May 2005(Tuesday-Tuesday). We travelled by the low fare airline Ryan Air from Malmö-Sturup Airport to London-Stansted Airport. I experienced many new areas and sights where I didn't go in 1999, like Canary Wharf, Madame Tussauds, Notting Hill, Paddington, British Museum, Primrose Hill, Hyde Park(yes), Hamstead Heth and Greenwich, and there was also better opporturnities to take good photographs, since I have a much better camera now (a digicam instead of a "onetime camera"). London has also got new attractions like The Eye and many new skyscrapers. Most of the food we bought was cheap (in supermarkets), but I think that London has become a lot more expensive than before. When staying at the hostel, we learned to know some of our roommates and made sightseeing together.

The weather was very changing. It used to begin with rain and clouds in the morning. Most days, in the afternoon it had became sunny and warm. On the Friday it was like a warm summer day the whole day. The leaves of the trees were also there, bringing a warmer atmosphere in May 2005 than in April 1999. I don't know why, but I liked London even more this time.

On our way to London, somewhere in the sky on the plane. The sky was clear and sunny when we left Malmö.

Just above England, about to land. It looks very cloudy for the first time on the flight.

It arrived at Stansted Airport at 11 o’clock. I was surprised that the airport was so large. Not “Heathrow-large”, but at least 3 times larger than Sturup since it has 2 or 3 terminals.

We travelled by a Boeing 737. It was windy, cold and there was heavy clouds above the sky. Clouds that we just had travelled through!

Then we took the Terravision bus from Stansted to Victoria Station in central London.

Reaching the outskirts of London. The landscape looked as flat and boring as in southern Skåne where I live and the weather was now real bad, but don’t worry these are the worst pictures from my trip.

But it was exciting to come closer to London. Here we could already see the shape of Canary Wharf’s skyline to the left and City’s skyline far to the right.

From Victoria we catched one of these new versions of classical black taxis to Piccadilly Circus, or almost close to Piccadilly, because our hostel was there. It was now starting to rain. “Typical London weather”, I thought.

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel. Very cheap, very simple, very central. Now we checked in. And after that we begun to explore London.

From now on, I will post a thread for its district and a special one for the skyline views instead of in chronological order.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #2
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3773

What happened to this thread?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics: