daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #321
louisianacharm

Likes (Received): 0

i really dont see how rap music makes you a mecca for blacks. all these people that are big in houston now have always been out (remember im from louisiana, so we here all of that). i think you people are forgetting places like memphis, and a city on the rise....dallas. i can guarantee you that dallas will pass houston by 2010 in terms of blacks. even now blacks make more money in dallas.

look at it like this. does houston trump d.c. or chicago just because they dont have a million rappers. hell no.

as a matter of fact, i would rather that not be in the city i reside in because rappers usually equals violence. as much as we dont want to admit as black people, the hip hop scene is not peaches and creme, and not one i would want my daughter raised around. so rap scene to me is actually a turn off in regards to where you live.
louisianacharm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #322
grapes

I guess my whole point is...NO..houston is not the new black mecca. Period. Is it coming into its own..yes...but not replacing Atl and DC. I know atlanta got a lot of new orleans folks because all the politicians and wanna-be-mayors were going to houston, atl, baton rouge (the forgotten city with a whole bunch of new orlean folks), and memphis. ****diversity is not just having a bunch of mexicans. a bunch of asians...a bunch of blacks...a bunch of whites...thats not diversity. If each group live and play in different places...is that really diversity? i dont think so. Houston nor atlanta has very few areas where they live together.
grapes no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #323
louisianacharm

^ or probably anywhere else in the south
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #324
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

louisianacharm, do you reside in Dallas, or have relatives there? You seem to be the Dallas advocate in every thread. That's not a bad thing, I was just wondering?

Last edited by ReggieZ; May 9th, 2006 at 04:19 AM.
ReggieZ no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #325
louisianacharm

no i have a LOT of family there, as well as houston, i have a few friends in atlanta, but nothing serious. i love louisiana/new orleans, i really like whats going on in dallas. i think it is the forgotten city on these threads. even new orleans gets more respect than dallas (not saying that it should or shouldnt, but dallas has a lot of good things going on). houston is also one of my favorite cities. i really cant say im just head over hills for atlanta, but i think if given a choice of cities to live in, it would probably be up there.

but nobody beats NEW ORLEANS LOL.............

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #326
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianacharm
^ or probably anywhere else in the south
or just about anywhere else in the country outside New York.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #327
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianacharm
i really dont see how rap music makes you a mecca for blacks. all these people that are big in houston now have always been out (remember im from louisiana, so we here all of that). i think you people are forgetting places like memphis, and a city on the rise....dallas. i can guarantee you that dallas will pass houston by 2010 in terms of blacks. even now blacks make more money in dallas.

look at it like this. does houston trump d.c. or chicago just because they dont have a million rappers. hell no.

as a matter of fact, i would rather that not be in the city i reside in because rappers usually equals violence. as much as we dont want to admit as black people, the hip hop scene is not peaches and creme, and not one i would want my daughter raised around. so rap scene to me is actually a turn off in regards to where you live.
True.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #328
H-TOWN

Houston always going to be #1 in the south. Forget about the music, its all about the money. Who's the biggest, with more companies, and money? Houston!
H-TOWN no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #329
Carolina Blue
Charlotte

Likes (Received): 1

Claude hav mercy!!!!! Ya’ll still talk’n bout this. This thread is funny. Houston is a cool city. It’s one of the most up and coming places for Blacks in the country right now. But the new Black Mecca???? To quote Whitney “Houston”…Hell to the naugh!!!! All this talk about Hip Hop is killing me. Because “that” don’t make a city a “mecca”. When it comes to being considered a “Black mecca” Houston ain’t got jack on Atlanta, D.C. or even Detroit for that matter. Personally, for the crowd I run with, Black middle class professionals, there’s not a huge difference between Dallas and Houston.

I know this is old, but I think someone noted the last Black Enterprise rankings of best cities for Blacks…

5: HOUSTON
"Rocket City's" fall from grace as be's best city for African Americans in 2001 can be tied to a soaring black unemployment rate, high violent crime rate, above average medical cost index, and moderate future job growth, compared to other top 10 finalists. Five other top cities fared better than Houston in terms of its median black household income ($35,562), percentage of black households earning more than $50,000 annually (29.1%), and number of black homeowners (51.8%).

Houston received high satisfaction ratings from respondents for quality of life. Indeed, the city's cost of living index is well below the national average and second only to Memphis. The average price for a new home, at just under $180,000, is the best among the top 10 cities. Next to Washington, D.C., and Atlanta, black businesses abound in Houston, which has 30 African American residents for every black business. Moreover, African Americans constitute 25% of 2 million residents and own nearly 24,286 businesses, more than one-fifth of the city's total.

The city's industry has diversified from petrochemicals to include space technology (NASA's Johnson Space Center is nearby) and medical technology (Houston's Texas Medical Center is one of the country's premier health research and care campuses). Although Enron remains a sore spot with regard to the city's business community, Houston is corporate headquarters for 18 Fortune 500 companies.

A recent study on racial profiling in the Lone Star State revealed that approximately six of every seven law enforcement agencies searched African American and Latino motorists more than whites, following a traffic stop. The Houston Police Department was more than three times as likely to search black motorists. Although it was one of the first departments in the country and state to adopt data collection, the findings demonstrate that Houston police have lots of work left to do.

Survey respondents may be mulling over the quality of Houston's public schools, but the city's black high school graduation rate of 77.5% and black college graduation rate of 18.4% are above the national averages. Houston's first lady, Andrea White, wife of Mayor Bill White, oversees a foundation that has raised $70 million from wealthy donors and corporations to support Houston's public schools. –T.R.W.

Link: http://www.blackenterprise.com/Exclu...pen.asp?id=850
Carolina Blue no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #330
lauderdalegator

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TOWN
Houston always going to be #1 in the south. Forget about the music, its all about the money. Who's the biggest, with more companies, and money? Houston!
Actually metro Dallas has more corporate headquaters than any other metro in the country including NYC and Chicago. Not to mention the headquarters of the world's largest company ExxonMobil (in Irving). Dallas is also the largest metro in the south.

I know, you probably already knew this info and just wanted to see if someone would correct you.

And Washington D.C., Atlanta and Chicago are far out-doing Houston as far as the whole 'black-mecca' thing goes.

This thread is fun and all but it's pretty ridiculous to consider Houston as a black mecca ahead of D.C., Atlanta, NYC, Philly, Detroit or even Dallas.

AND the abundance of rappers doesn't prove anything except for the fact that a city has alot of blacks living in poverty and selling drugs.

If anything the abundance of rappers and the glorification of criminal lifestyles by the rappers has hurt the image of black meccas like Atlanta.

Rappers are the last thing you should use to indicate if a city is a good place for blacks to thrive. What next? are we going to start picking black meccas base on how many pimps and hoes a city has?

I love rap (quality rap) as much as anyone but let's face it, most rap and hip hop culture is just the new blaxploitation.

Atlanta and D.C. are black meccas because of their black colleges and abundance of educated and entreprenurial blacks and their history of black political success.... Not because of Outkast and T.I.

Carolina Blue, I read your comment and had to repeat some of your points. This 'rap scene = black mecca' crap is so crazy.

Last edited by lauderdalegator; May 9th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
lauderdalegator no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #331
louisianacharm

^agreed................

i know tons of people from this side of the south that have been turned off of atlanta because of the whole hip hop scene. i also know tons who have moved to atlanta for the whole hip hop scene (mostly rappers), but when talking black professionals, and the community being known for being a black mecca for the corporate industry, and not the entertainment industry says alot. and i think chicago does a wonderful job of doing this. so does d.c. and dallas...............

its really not all in what your city has, because atlanta probably has wayyyy more black doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers, than the aformentioned cities, but thats not how they market the city. when you change your cities theme song to a rap song, that is not cool. when all your cities newpaper talks about is entertainment. i think that atlanta would truly be a black mecca, and a much more desirable place to live if they would change their marketing scheme. first off, more black college students are going to texas, over any state in the nation. this trend can change if the images of atlanta change. when i graduated college, my friends were looking for that business friendly cosmopolitan trendy place to live. unfortunately, many didnt choose atlanta because it didnt seem like the place that you would want to reside considering only rappers were moving there (and how many rappers come out of college) so people of like-minds eventually converse. atlanta needs to portray that image of blacks doing well in finance, business, medicine, law...........blacks getting off the marta everyday downtown going to work at cnn, walking to the arena with their families..............just blacks suceeding everyday in something other than entertainment. i can guarantee this will reverse the trend. you will see black professionals all across the nation rushing into atlanta, because right now, imo the future doesnt look promising for black atlanta.

sorry if i offended anybody, but it disturbs me at how this city is the crown jewel of our culture, but the only advantages they can take off this is to publicize young jeezy.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #332
soulbro

Likes (Received): 1

I say in all as an african american I feel my best chance at achieving my goals are in the south. Yes I'm also a up in coming music producer but thats not why I want to move to the south. For me it's the slower pace and the hospitality where I live now in LA if your not looking like an actor or balling at the time your considered to be nothing and looked down upon. I've wanted to go south for over 10 years now LA just aint me never was never will be.
As for this thread I feel Houston is a great city for not just blacks but other ethnic groups but as a black man I feel in Houston you have a chance to make it with owning your own business I have family that lives there and doing just that. Most of my family were products of the great migration and most of them moved back south. I'm also about to do the same I see hope in the south and my beats are tracks they vibe too so I feel I can adapt there.
I'm not feeling LA no more plus I'm tired of the mentality here I'm in the music field and cats here bring the gang mentality on the fold and thats bad for business. Southern Cali's hip hop scene is dominated by gang culture.
soulbro no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #333
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
This thread is fun and all but it's pretty ridiculous to consider Houston as a black mecca ahead of D.C., Atlanta, NYC, Philly, Detroit or even Dallas.
While this may be true, let's now down Houston just to hype these cities. Now I would put DC and Atlanta above them but they are in the same tier as Philly, Detroit, and Dallas. Most young blacks n Texas that do not live in either Houston or Dallas would choose Houston over Dallas and it's not because of the music scene. Houston has a prosperous black community that can challenge those other cities.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #334
grapes

Mr.LousianaCharm....you are nothing but a dallas fan. Youre from new orleans. talk about new orleans in another thread. also, i see nothing wrong with the cities theme song. Its not hardcore rap. By the way...there are some very conscience rappers today like k.west, common, and even naz. How would you have wanted to song to be written??? You cant please everybody. I dont think the city is trying to please someone whos gonna shoot down the city..like yourself.
grapes no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #335
Santiago

I'm surprised at some of the claims made here from Lousiana Charm and others about Atlanta's hip hop image overwhelming its black professional imagine. I'm not going to argue as to whether Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, DC or any other city is "The Black Mecca" because I don't feel there is a "black Mecca" in the U.S. But to say that Atlanta only advertises its hip hop scene is untrue. As a black professional in Atlanta, I often forget that the city's hip hop scene is so vibrant. I feel it depends on what cirlces one is in. In the city, there are numerous publications, television shows, radio stations, clubs, restaurants, etc. that cater to black professionals without a hip hop element. That being said, I"m glad the hip hop image does exist because it only enhances the city's overall appeal.

And as far as more black students going to college in Texas than Atlanta, Texas is a whole state (and one of the most populated) compared to Atlanta only being a city. But, i don't think Atlanta's so-called hip hop image is in any way hurting the calibre of top students going to its schools (what Texas school could realistically compete with Morehouse and Spelman for producing black professionals?)

That's just my 2 cents!
Santiago no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #336
lauderdalegator

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
I'm surprised at some of the claims made here from Lousiana Charm and others about Atlanta's hip hop image overwhelming its black professional imagine. I'm not going to argue as to whether Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, DC or any other city is "The Black Mecca" because I don't feel there is a "black Mecca" in the U.S. But to say that Atlanta only advertises its hip hop scene is untrue. As a black professional in Atlanta, I often forget that the city's hip hop scene is so vibrant. I feel it depends on what cirlces one is in. In the city, there are numerous publications, television shows, radio stations, clubs, restaurants, etc. that cater to black professionals without a hip hop element. That being said, I"m glad the hip hop image does exist because it only enhances the city's overall appeal.

And as far as more black students going to college in Texas than Atlanta, Texas is a whole state (and one of the most populated) compared to Atlanta only being a city. But, i don't think Atlanta's so-called hip hop image is in any way hurting the calibre of top students going to its schools (what Texas school could realistically compete with Morehouse and Spelman for producing black professionals?)

That's just my 2 cents!

That's all true. I don't have a problem with Houston or Atlanta's hip hop image. I just think it's stupid to say a city is a black mecca because of it's hip-hop like many people we're saying in this thread.

There are huge black professional communities all over this country in cities we didn't mention just because they don't have huge hip-hop scenes.

I'm just saying that cities music scenes should have nothing to do with our conversation about 'black-meccas'.
lauderdalegator no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #337
Velvetj

Hey grapes, have you ever heard of Alief? What about Sharpstown? Have you ever had a chance to spend anytime in the Fondren Southwest areas? What about parts of Sugarland? Have you ever sat at a traffic light at the intersection of Main and Holcombe or Westpark and Hillcroft and took a look at the nationalities of the drivers? Did you know Houston has the third largest Nigerian population in the world behind Nigeria itself and London? Did you know Houston has the second largest Muslim community in the nation behind New York? Dude, you are from Houston so you should know better about trying to downplay the city's diversity compared to the rest of the south.

Houston has silently been a strong place for blacks for some time now. I know in the early to mid 90's Houston had more black millionaires than any other American City (I am aware that has since changed). Houston for years now, has always had a very impressive number of black owned businesess. Houston's black professionals have thrived but tend to be more independent which can give an impression that a black professional community does not exist. Houston has a very strong black middle class but for the most part they are not all in a single neighborhood (barring the upper end of Third Ward) like in other cities.

Houston has always progressed but has done it pretty much silently. Anyone heard of any civil rights activity in Houston during the height of it? Probably not but it was progressing nontheless.

Also Grapes, since you are from Houston how can you downplay Houston and affirmative Action? Do you not remember international attention that was brought to the city for the landmark 1997 vote that set the standard for ballot language on Affirmative action in this nation?

As with a lot of things with Houston, a lot of things happen but with little fanfare. That doesn't mean they don't happen it's just it's not really advertised. For example, professional black athletes were really first to jump on the bandwagon in Houston. Low cost of living, no state tax, warm weather, and abundance of activities caught the eye of a ton of athletes from all sports around the country (which actually contributed to Houston having the most black millionaires during those times in the 90's.) But most didn't hear about that.

I wouldn't call Houston a black "mecca" as much as I would call it a great place for black Americans, which I personally love. Houston's high level of diversity has kept it from becoming THE black mecca and to be quite honest, as a black American myself, I am fine with that. There doesn't seem to be a majority of anyone in this city and I have gotten used to that and I love it. I have found I am more comfortable in places where a particular group does not dominate the population, even if it's my own.

Houston is a great place for blacks. There are tons of black lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc., in Houston. The difference is there are more of them per capita in Atlanta or DC. Houston has a significant black population. The difference is there are just MORE of us in Atlanta and DC. That doesn't make Houston's black population any smaller than it is just because another city has more of us. Houston has traditional black colleges ( Texas Southern and Praire View A&M). The difference is Atlanta has more than two.

I personally do not think a black person has any less of a chance to be successful in Houston than they do in Atlanta.
Velvetj no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #338
citykid09

I never thought when I started this thread, that it would be the most viewed and the most replyed to in all of the southern threads. WOW! I guess I know how to make topics that get people talking!
citykid09 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #339
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

I hope you're proud of yourself, Citykid09. Not only have you spawned a never answering question, but you have also led to the creation of seven pointless soon-to-be-deleted threads!

Coming soon:

Is New York the new Native American Mecca?
Is Chicago the new Conservative Mecca?
Is Huntsville, AL the new Asian Mecca?
Is Anchorage, AK the new Black Mecca?
Is Compton, CA the new yuppie mecca?
Is Buffalo, NY the new animal mecca?
Is Memphis the new terrorist mecca?
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #340
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 37

this thread is way past its expiration date. nor more 'mecca' threads!

Closed Thread