daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

Nightsky’s new London trip part 6 – Kensington, Chelsea and Knightsbridge (Harrods!)

This thread is about the 3 of the most exclusive districts in central London: the borough of Chelsea and Kensington and Knightsbridge. We made a bus trip through all these districts, including Notting Hill, Bayswater and Paddington.

Chelsea

Chelsea is famous because Sex Pistols was founded on its Kings Road (and because of the football team). Today, it is a very fashionable road. The mayority of the cars that where driving on Kings Rd looked very expensive (Ferraris, Jaguars, and Rolls-Royces where driving buy the whole time). On the ground floor, there are expensive stores such as Calvin Klein, Cartier and Gucci. But the strange thing is that the facade of the upper floors of the same buildings looks very worn and dirty.

We got off the old double decker bus near Sloane Square and came right in the middle of the famous flower market, that unfortunately (because my girlfriend is very interested in flowers) just had ended. It lasts 24-28 May and we just happened to arrive on 28 May just when the whole annual show just stopped! Then we walked through the Chelsea Bridge above Thames and back again. We walked Sloane Square and there we found the beginning of the famous Kings Road.

Sloane Square. The latest and newest Rolls-Royce was temporatily parked outside. But I must admit it is strange they had garbage cans right outside an expensive restaurant. And on some places people through litter on the pavements. Even more strange is that there are large districts in London without garbage cans so there is no place to through the trash except for the pavement. Afraid of terrorists?

Kings Road.

At Kings Road, we recognized a map of Stockholm we went inside and it was a Swedish designer shop. The staff even talked Swedish.

A Hummer Limousine passing by a Calvin Klein store on Kings Road. Have you ever seen this before?

A green, exotic store front.

A small street in Chelsea. It was very calm despite it borders the pretty busy Kings Road.

This Chelsea pub at Kings Rd is called Henry Bean. We went inside to take a bear, since we found its bear garden very nice.

Kensington

Kensington is one of the richest parts of London. We just get off the bus and visited some stores on Kensington High Street. Then we walked along the street towards Holland Park, to get to Notting Hill.

Kensington High Street. The main road in Kensington. We visited the Swedish cloth store H&M, the British supermarket Mark Spencer and a jewelry.

Kensington Gardens is Kensington's nice park that is bordering Hyde Park and Knightsbridge (the skyscraper Knightsbridge Barracks is there).

Knightsbridge

The whole district Knightsbridge is Harrods, the world's most fashionable department store, at least it feels like that when you are on Brompton Road. We began our second day with visiting this large and extremely exclusive store. It was important, because on the other trip me and my friend missed it because we found out it was closed on Saturday when we was there. We even went a 2nd time to buy a birthday present for my sister. After getting in through the doors, passing the guards, it almost felt like a shock, because of the cleanliness and the contrasts to the "outer world".

The famous facade of Harrods. The staff was snobbish, but at least we got a test each for an expensive parfume, so may be we didn't look so poor after all…

The "Cleopatra escalator hall".

The sfinx of Harrods.

Two other escalator halls.

The lamp department.

Exclusive gifts in the basement.

The food hall in the basement is famous. It has exclusive food from all over the world and of course - crystal chandeliers!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Forza Raalte

Likes (Received): 2

The number of beautiful cars in London is crazy. I have never seen so much stunning cars in a short time than my 4 days in London. Loads of Porsches and Jaguars. Also saw the Rolls Royce Phantom a Aston Martin Vanquish a Lamborghini Murcielago and many other nice cars.
Forza Raalte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #3
JDN21
JDN21

Likes (Received): 0

I would expect to see a few nice motors in the financial capital of the world.

I read somewhere (nationmater or the economist) that London is home to more millionaires and billionaires than any other city on Earth.

And the Aston Martin Vanquish - sweet!
JDN21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #4
maxxam80

Likes (Received): 3

I got hit by a Aston Martin on my bike about a year ago

it was his fault but my bike caused about £20,000 worth of damage to his car. He was driving at around 60mph in central london and almost killed me
maxxam80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

It really is amazing, just stand outside harrods, or in the heart of kensington, and wait.... within seconds there will be Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins, Maybachs, all sorts of stunners....

In fact, the traditional 'economical small car' for that part of town is a porsche, every street has a whole bunch of them... but its when you see that super huge new Rolls that you know there is real money flying about
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #6
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Its true, even Mercedes convertables look like a poor mans car going through London
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

But I saw some really bad cars also in some of these areas, but there was more luxury cars than common cars.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote