daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #41
trvlr70

Likes (Received): 0

I'll admit, I love the inovation of the design. But isn't there supposed to be a cohesive riverwalk plan with similar lighting and planters? I don't think it fits in well.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #42
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

At first I thought to myself, "wow, how'd I miss incredible thread before?"
Now, I'm not really sure what I think of these plans.

Seems like everywhere you go in Chicago, you can look under a overlooked rock and discover a mine of glittering diamonds.

These two locations have a unique opportunity to make the riverwalk experience truly awe-inspiring. We can't get ahead of ourselves and build something just for the sake of building it. Whatever goes up in these locations, it's gotta be a home run/grand slam/Perfect 10. Not too flashy, keep it classy. I don't care if it doesn't get developed for another 10 years (so long as it's done right), because this could really be a defining development for the future of Chicago and it's gotta deliver the goods in a "Fordham inSpiring" kind of way.
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #43
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Don't get too excited about this proposal. The last time I was at Gensler, I was told this one was on hold because of a pending ownership change in the Hyatt Regency. They weren't sure what was going to become of this project.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #44
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Don't get too excited about this proposal. The last time I was at Gensler, I was told this one was on hold because of a pending ownership change in the Hyatt Regency. They weren't sure what was going to become of this project.
Really? I can't imagine Hyatt Corp.(Chicago-based) giving up ownership of the Hyatt Regency? It's also the biggest hotel in the chain.
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #45
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Isn't it a franchise already?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #46
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I know no details - only what I stated above. If that particular hotel was already a franchise though, that woudl begin to make it even more feasible that the franchisee is looking to sell (for whatever reason) to another party.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #47
trvlr70

Some Hyatt hotels are owned by Hyatt and some are owned by other people but are managed under the Hyatt name. The Hyatt Regency Chicago is owned by Hyatt Corp.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM   #48
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

So much for that theory then
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #49
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Plan looks to showcase river, Park board likely to allow cafes, galleries, etc

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...iver14.article

Plan looks to showcase river
Park board likely to allow cafes, galleries, etc

March 14, 2007
BY ANDREW HERRMANN Staff Reporter

Chicago is aiming to redevelop its "second lakefront" by returning waterside restaurants and other tourist-friendly features to the downtown banks of the Chicago River.

Under the plan likely to be passed today by the Chicago Park District board, the south side of the river between Lake Street and Lake Shore Drive would be open to concessions that could include cafes, bicycle rental shops, museum space and galleries.

"The riverwalk is a unique and attractive public space, and we're seeking uses that would appeal to Chicago residents and visitors," said parks Supt. Timothy Mitchell.

The stretch, which Mayor Daley has called Chicago's "second lakefront," once offered some of those options. In 1998, four restaurants provided outdoor service between May 15 and Oct. 15, but none reached the benchmark $300,000 in sales required to trigger payments to Chicago taxpayers. Four more restaurants opened the next year.

Those options along the riverwalk all but disappeared after a Wacker Drive reconstruction project that began in 2001. Daley has envisioned a riverfront development similar to San Antonio's entertainment zone.

Under the current plan, the Chicago Park District would oversee the concessions, which would be awarded to contractors by bid.

Lining up concessionaires
Parks officials Tuesday were unable to provide revenue projections for the new effort. The aim is to open shops by this summer, a parks spokeswoman said.

Under the joint agreement with City Hall, maintenance, security and site preparation would be covered by the city, according to the plan.

Meanwhile, the city plans to open an emergency-only helicopter landing site on the northeast corner of DuSable Harbor where the river meets the lake. Neighbors had blocked city efforts to build a full-time helipad.
Contributing: Fran Spielman
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM   #50
dvidler

The key in the river development is to complete the links under and around the bridges to create a complete walkable riverfront. Otherwise the riverwalk will be too segmented.

Riverfront to be redeveloped

Floating markets and restaurants, riverside museums, galleries, bike rental shops and concessionaires may all be coming soon to the south side of the Chicago Riverfront. The Park District Board has approved a plan and will go out for bids from companies that might make such businesses a possibility.

“We’re pretty open to ideas,” says Park District Spokeswoman Jessica Maxey-Falkner. “Restaurants, flower carts, bike shops, kayak rentals, or whatever else might come along. We’re interested in seeing what kinds of bids we get.”

The Park District is partnering with the city’s planning and development department to redevelop the newly renovated lower portion of Wacker Drive along the riverfront between Lake Street and Lake Shore Drive. The planning and development department discussed a number of ideas last spring, dividing the area into four sections to be developed in different ways.

“We’re really looking at ways to reactivate the riverfront, to bring people back down to the river,” says Michael Berkshire the green projects administrator in the city’s planning and development department. “We’re considering all kinds of ideas for unique and interesting public spaces.”

One of the original ideas discussed was a permanent public market along the river.

In a brain-storming session last spring, the planning and development department, along with VOA architects, decided that the best place for such a market would be between Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive, but they also considered having a floating market that would dock in a different location each day of the week.

The area between State Street and Michigan Avenue was designated as a civic and cultural area with space for monuments and art, the area between State and Franklin, which is the narrowest part of the river walk, would be the arcade district, and the area from Franklin to Lake would be the turning basin district.

The Park District will review the bids for vendors and decide what will fit best in each area.

“We’re looking to put in some short term stuff and hopefully it will turn into long term,” Berkshire says. “The Park District already has contracts with a lot of concessionaires, so they made a very good partnership.”

Berkshire says there should be some vendors in place by this summer. Some may even be businesses in two story boats in the Arcade District, where space is limited and some areas of lower Wacker are not completely accessible by existing bridges, he says.

“We’d like to see people actually using the river again,” Berkshire says. “I’m excited to hear what people are going to pr
opose.”
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM   #51
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:43 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #52
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:08 AM   #53
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM   #54
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

not an important issue, but i wonder why they chose to do a south/north orientation on the map.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #55
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

To make it less obvious that they're not doing anything with the North Bank. As humans, our eyes naturally gravitate towards the top of pages, maps, charts, etc. and away from the bottom.

Also because the map shows the perspective one would see from the River.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #56
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
To make it less obvious that they're not doing anything with the North Bank. As humans, our eyes naturally gravitate towards the top of pages, maps, charts, etc. and away from the bottom.

Also because the map shows the perspective one would see from the River.
i never would have thought of that; thanks
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #57
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

The proposed riverwalk area seems very narrow for full restaurants and shops. It would be OK for seasonal carts and such. Then again, San Antonio's riverwalk is pretty narrow, too. But if you fall into the water there, you're far less likely to drown.

I think the city should sell licenses for floating eateries and have a long row of illuminated floating restaurants. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky has something like this, though it's not as dense as it should be.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #58
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post
The proposed riverwalk area seems very narrow for full restaurants and shops. It would be OK for seasonal carts and such. Then again, San Antonio's riverwalk is pretty narrow, too. But if you fall into the water there, you're far less likely to drown.
this isn't some veiled reference to our ganster past, is it?
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #59
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yeah.. they'll start setting up stands for "concrete kickboards"! We can get corporate sponsorship on that (Quikrete).
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #60
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:28 AM.