daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #61
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Has anyone heard any kind of timetables on when these aprons (wasn't familiar with the term until here) are supposed to be constructed?

It goes without saying they are needed to have any semblance of true integrated riverwalk

I also hope they eventually lay down some nice brick or stone instead of concrete. It should have the feeling of more then a glorified sidewalk under your feet.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #62
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I have a general aesthetics question here:

sometime in the future on either the north or south branches, what would you think of a project that included two high rises on both banks of the river that were connected on high with a skybridge to form a sort of arch effect?

Would that look good or would it detract?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #63
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

I don't know... There are so many ways it could look bad, and for like the one way i could look good, IMO sort of an actual arch, not just a glassy tunnel, it may not be worth it to risk it. And of course it would all be ruined if just even one other person decided to do it, unless of course it was really far away.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #64
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

We already have plenty of bridges that allow people to go from either side of the river's branches quite easily, but if done right it could look cool as long as it doesn't imitate a st.louis arch.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #65
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #66
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Hmm, I don't what the word for the build-out is, if there even is one.

Your picture reminded me that this is designed by Ross Barney and they have a few pics on their website.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #67
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Right! Cus' the river needs to get even NARROWER! Forget the buildout - finish what we've got and build the damn aprons. Done and done.
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #68
trvlr70

The riverwalk expansion around Kingsbury Plaza is really spectacular. I saw renderings a while back but now I have no idea where to find them.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #69
bobablob

I'd rather nothing at all develop than the river be narrowed.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #70
Chitowner245

^Yeah, screw that. Why do we need to be like other cities all of a sudden (i.e. San Antonio?) If people can't appreciate the river for what it is and the amazing architecture encompassing it, then screw them too.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #71
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
^Yeah, screw that. Why do we need to be like other cities all of a sudden (i.e. San Antonio?) If people can't appreciate the river for what it is and the amazing architecture encompassing it, then screw them too.
While we're at it, let's get rid of all of our sushi restaurants and Irish pubs....why do we need to be like cities in Japan and Ireland?

Why should we be against this development (or any other one) which would do great things for our city, just because it isn't 100% original?

And the fact that the architecture encompassing the river is amazing is a very strong argument FOR developing the river walk. The proposed river walk would serve as a great place for tons of people to hang out/walk around, and be able to check out and appreciate the great architecture surrounding them.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #72
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobablob View Post
I'd rather nothing at all develop than the river be narrowed.
I disagree. It's not a commericial river anymore. I'd LOVE to be able to jog along the river on a continuous pedestrian path. Bridge aprons won't affect pleasure crafts enough to hinder development in my opinion.

Last edited by trvlr70; April 12th, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #73
hoju

Why are people so opposed to narrowing the river? Does any craft that travels through even come close to the width of the river? Besides, part of the stated goal here was to have people use the river more, like kayaks and that sort of thing. I imagine that a slightly narrower river at points would facilitate this. I can't see any practical reason to oppose this, and I imagine that, if done right, it would become a huge civic asset.
hoju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #74
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

OK, it's not the Mississippi. But the Chicago River is still wide enough to highlight the skyscrapers that line its bank and to provide an incomparible type of open space in the heart of the city.

I would definitely oppose any plan to narrow its width!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #75
Chicagotom

I had this conversation over the weekend with a friend who is a captain of one of the tourist boats that use the River. Building the aprons that come out around the bridge and extend the existing walks on one side of the river isn't enough to cause any navigation issues.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #76
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #77
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

I think it would be best to keep the build outs as small as possible yet be functional. Not building them at all and missing the chance to connect the paths would be a big missed opportunity though.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #78
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post

Looking closely at this rendering it seems to depict the built-out section as being planked like a boardwalk. That makes more sense to me now.
That rendering depicts build-out largely between the bridge pylons while the build-out around them is greatly reduced. Perhaps edsg's concern is for a sizeable reduction in the river's width large enough to rob it of its majestic presence as well its compatible scale with the looming towers. I know there is walkways on the north side, but do you know, Looper, if the build-out is largely confined to the south side?
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #79
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
OK, it's not the Mississippi. But the Chicago River is still wide enough to highlight the skyscrapers that line its bank and to provide an incomparible type of open space in the heart of the city.

I would definitely oppose any plan to narrow its width!
I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing them connect the two sides around the bridge with perhaps an 8 foot walkway that is cantilevered over the river.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #80
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:43 AM.