daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #81
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
I had this conversation over the weekend with a friend who is a captain of one of the tourist boats that use the River. Building the aprons that come out around the bridge and extend the existing walks on one side of the river isn't enough to cause any navigation issues.
EOS.

I know this is apples and oranges but the highly succesful San Ann Texas river walk does well even being this narrow.

Last edited by bnk; April 12th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #82
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I know this is apples and oranges but the highly succesful San Ann Texas river walk does well even being this narrow.

That's exactly edsg's concern, it looks like a stream, even a lagoon, more than a proud river. Chicago's river has got muscle, just like the rest of its environs.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #83
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, it's just big enough to handle some serious traffic, and to require some muscular bridges.

It's nothing like the Hudson, Mississippi, or East Rivers, though....
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #84
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

all good points, but is there something Chicago can learn from San Antonio's outstanding example...as long as it gives no sense of narrowing like what SA has.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #85
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
all good points, but is there something Chicago can learn from San Antonio's outstanding example...as long as it gives no sense of narrowing like what SA has.
I went back to review the two shots of the SA scene; I see nothing in its particular charm that would aid Chicago with its riverfront development. Perhaps like Navy Pier, several venues will be attempted, some failing, others taking their places 'til the scene gets settled over a span of perhaps a decade. I am confident, however, in time it will be viewed everywhere as Chicago's river scene.
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #86
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:42 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #87
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

State Street and Dearborn Street bridges both have 200 foot horizontal clearances. So a 10-foot floating boardwalk reduces the river width by less than five percent.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #88
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
I went back to review the two shots of the SA scene; I see nothing in its particular charm that would aid Chicago with its riverfront development. Perhaps like Navy Pier, several venues will be attempted, some failing, others taking their places 'til the scene gets settled over a span of perhaps a decade. I am confident, however, in time it will be viewed everywhere as Chicago's river scene.
Sorry, but you're dead wrong. San Antonio's famed river walk is the city's central entertainment area which is full of restaurants, pubs, hotel, and other attractions. Chicago should take note at how sucessfully SA has developed its river into a huge, money-making tourist attration.

I have no desire for the Chicago River to evolve into Bourbon St. but some entertainment venues would be great.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #89
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I don't see how this effectively narrows the river at all. The effect would be entirely different than San Antonio.

If that's the actual design, then I'm down with it.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #90
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Sorry, but you're dead wrong. San Antonio's famed river walk is the city's central entertainment area which is full of restaurants, pubs, hotel, and other attractions. Chicago should take note at how sucessfully SA has developed its river into a huge, money-making tourist attration.
I have no desire for the Chicago River to evolve into Bourbon St. but some entertainment venues would be great.
I don't think we have anything to learn from the SA development. The suggested venues put forth so far will turn the river into a delightful summer rendevous. And that will peak only after many different types of venue have been tried. In time the Chicago river will have taken on its own character. SA is just too limited in scope.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #91
Chicagotom

Loopy,

Were did you get that rendering/photo. I like the perspective.

Additionally, there is no comparison between the San Antonio River and the Chicago River. SA looks like you can jump across it. It might be better described as a stream not a river.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #92
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #93
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I don't see how this effectively narrows the river at all. The effect would be entirely different than San Antonio.

Dev,

Way to pick the WIDEST part of the river to try and illustrate your point! Naturally, I'm not dumb enough to think that a 10' encroachment on the waterway would cause navigation issues for river traffic in and of itself, but, what your captain friend seems to be forgetting is just how congested the river can get in the summer time.

Someone, earlier in the thread, made mention only to pleasure-craft and kayaks - everyone's got to keep in mind how important the many River Tours are to this City. This is one of the first thing that people do upon visiting Chicago - and anything that could disturb that isn't a great idea in my estimation.

Lastly, I am certainly NOT opposed to the idea of an integrated and connected riverwalk, the only thing that started this entire discussion was the suggestion that there be an additional "ring," for lack of a better term" that exists directly adjacent to spaces that are already more than sufficient for pedestrian and retail traffic.

In a nutshell - I'm saying: connect what we've got, and don't build any more.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #94
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

^ At least, don't build anymore OUT into the river.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #95
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

^-- that's exactly what I'm saying. You seem to have summed it up better in nine words though
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #96
bobablob

Chicago's river is broad, like the shoulders of the people who built our fair city. It symbolizes the strength of our city. We should be extremely hesitant to forever mar the symbol of our strength.

San Antonio's riverwalk is outstanding. Chicago should look into ways to reinvigorate the banks of its river, without cutting into the waterway itself. Even if you aren't from Chicago, or don't buy into the symbolism of the river, you cannot deny that the river's breadth affords a unique skyscraper canyon.

Should we be so hesitant to destroy our heritage for the sake of some tiki-torches?
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #97
budman

I have lived and worked within blocks of the river for over 10 years, and two close friends have docked their boats at Marina City during that time. I have been on the river almost every weekend of every summer since I can remember. It is never overcrowded with boat traffic, ever. It has an nice mix of pleasure and commercial vessels, and widening the riverwalk would have very little impact on boat traffic (and who cares anyway...so your boat slows down a little and you are stuck admiring the river canyon). Besides, it is my understanding that the river is much wider now than it was when Chicago's first settlers arrived, and has been dredged countless times over the years. Widening the riverwalk by 10 - 20 feet is the only way to make a river walk successful, and making a river walk successful would be an amazing thing for Chicago and downtown.
budman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #98
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Exactly Budman. I feel missing the chance to connect the river would be a missed opportunity with comparative little to lose in contrast to the gain.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #99
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

Do the barges like this travel up that section of the river? Or do they just come down the north branch and go straight out the south branch. I work across the river from Civic Opera, and I see them going by on the river all the time from my desk up on 19.

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #100
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 04:40 AM.