daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #121
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Seems odd to remember that sidewalk cafes were illegal in Chicago when I moved here. One of my buddies in Friends of Downtown more or less singlehandedly pushed until that changed.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #122
budman

Likes (Received): 0

That is great news, although I thought O'Brien's already served booze. I would imagine that next year's vendors will be jumping on this. Slowly but surely the river is going to come alive.
budman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #123
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
One of my buddies in Friends of Downtown more or less singlehandedly pushed until that changed.
There are members in FoD with that much clout? Or was it just a minor issue to begin with, and his support was the finger that felled the rotten tree?

Any chance that this guy has a passion for sidewalk vendors, too? Those would be great, so long as the garbage/litter issue is also addressed.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #124
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Tribune photos with above article..

is there something wrong in this photograph? would it have been too much to ask the genius who designed this river front setting to have turned those f***ing benches around and had them face the f***ing river...or did he feel there really wasn't much of a view?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #125
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I can't tell for sure from the picture, but I don't think the benches "face" either direction. They don't appear to have back supports
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #126
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I can't tell for sure from the picture, but I don't think the benches "face" either direction. They don't appear to have back supports
your eyes are younger than mind and look to be on track there. there is no contrast in color between bench and ground which made it virtually impossible for me to even see that until you mentioned it. honestly it looked to me as the bench almost backed up to the rail making sitting and seeing the river impossible.

I guess I have to give up any chance of 20/20 vision...even with glasses!
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #127
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

No, Edsg25 is correct. The backerst of the benches face the river. But you can also see that further down the walkway, there's lawn furniture for the outdoor cafes, so it's really not that big of a deal.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #128
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
No, Edsg25 is correct. The backerst of the benches face the river. But you can also see that further down the walkway, there's lawn furniture for the outdoor cafes, so it's really not that big of a deal.
i can't believe i got one right. lately i've been batting 1 out of 50. maybe i should consider steroids!
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #129
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those benches face lower Wacker Drive and not the river. That stretch of riverwalk, between Dearborn and Clark, includes the remnants of an unsuccessful minimalist Asian inspired river walk garden developed in conjunction with the original Hotel Nikko across the river(now a Westin hotel). The intent was that visitors to hotel could look across the river to a complementary river garden. It never truly had the support and/or maintenance from the hotel or the city. It was also ahead of it's time as a river ammenity. (We're talking late '80's here!)
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #130
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie Rich;17142855[B
]Sorry to burst your bubble, but those benches face lower Wacker Drive and not the river. [/B]That stretch of riverwalk, between Dearborn and Clark, includes the remnants of an unsuccessful minimalist Asian inspired river walk garden developed in conjunction with the original Hotel Nikko across the river(now a Westin hotel). The intent was that visitors to hotel could look across the river to a complementary river garden. It never truly had the support and/or maintenance from the hotel or the city. It was also ahead of it's time as a river ammenity. (We're talking late '80's here!)
oh, great, Ritchie, you are about to send me spiraling into a deep depression from which I will not be able to climb out. It's on your conscience, fellow, unless you can find a way of reversing those darned benches and finally giving me the validation I need.
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #131
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/9...IDGE26.article

Bridging riverwalk gaps
WACKER DRIVE |
City to spend $10 mil. on walkways beneath Michigan and Wabash, connect path for 'second lakefront'

April 26, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter [email protected]

Mayor Daley's ambitious but stalled plan to create a San Antonio-style riverwalk along Wacker Drive will take two giant steps forward this summer.

The city plans to build walkways beneath bridges at Michigan and Wabash avenues that will connect paths already built along the Chicago River. The new connections will allow pedestrians to stroll along Chicago's "second lakefront" -- as Daley calls it -- without running up a set of stairs, crossing the street and going back downstairs.

The "underbridge'' beneath the south end of the Michigan Avenue bridge will extend 17 feet from the bank into the river at a cost of up to $4 million. A bid opening is scheduled for next week.

Construction is expected to begin in July and continue through December. Landscaping touches will be added next spring.

The price tag for the Wabash underbridge is pegged at $6 million.

That walkway will extend 20 feet into the river and also extend an additional block between Wabash and State. It will run adjacent to Wabash Plaza and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Work on that piece of the project is expected to begin in July and end next spring...............................
More info in link
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #132
edsg25
BANNED

always great to hear good news about the river walk.

life really is unfair, isn't it? chicago's lakefront is arguably the best waterfront of any American city. it is an integral part of our downtown area as it is on the North and South sides. To realize that the Chicago River riverfront is well on the way to being as spectacular a riverfront as any US city has is an embarassment of riches for Chicago.

The width of the Chicago River is an incomparble asset. San Antonio's river is little more than a creek, beautiful and delightful, but very localized to the Rive Walk in what its narrowness allows it to offer. For St. Louis, Cincinnati, and even Pittsburgh, the river width is large enough to discourage any true connection between the two banks.

In a kind of Mama Bear and Papa Bear scenerio, the Chicago River takes Baby (Chicago?) Bear's middle ground of being "just right": wide enough to make its presence quite noticeable and very navigable, but narrow enough to bring both banks into close contact with each other in a unified zone with easy access to both sides.
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #133
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Now if only we can do something about those floating piles of trash in the river.

I've notices that they have been putting up concrete block between lower Wacker and the Riverwalk. Paired with this news it looks as if this may be completed in the next decade or so.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #134
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 63

I didn't realize they could create the walkways under the bridges as quickly as they intend to do. So by the time the warm weather arrives next year, we'll be able to enjoy a more continous path. Nice!

(now since we're working on creating a continous pathway along the riverfront, how about a more focused effort on creating a continuous pathway along the lakefront where it flows into the Chicago River???)
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #135
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
I didn't realize they could create the walkways under the bridges as quickly as they intend to do. So by the time the warm weather arrives next year, we'll be able to enjoy a more continous path. Nice!
If I'm not mistaken, I thought I had read that the construction of the State St subway under the river wasn't that difficult because they were cutting basically through sand. Does anyone know if that is true?
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #136
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Doesn't surprise me, since the river is (was) a prairie river, carrying large quantities of silt lakeward from eroding riverbanks further inland. Over time, this silt accumulated on the bottom of the river, too.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #137
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

From SSP via BVictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...4558993.column

GETTING AROUND WITH JON HILKEVITCH

Chicago Riverwalk extension to begin in July

Path involving 'under-bridges' will eventually extend to Lake Street
Jon Hilkevitch | Getting Around
7:29 PM CDT, April 27, 2008

Chicagoans have a vital connection to the waterfront, whether it is the shoreline of Lake Michigan or the banks of the Chicago River.

That link will become stronger—and longer—by the end of the year when the riverwalk trail downtown is extended.

Construction is scheduled to begin in July to literally bridge the riverwalk beyond the Wabash Avenue bridge to State Street.

It's an intermediary step toward eventually extending the riverwalk promenade west to Lake Street along the south bank of the river, according to the Chicago Department of Transportation.

bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #138
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Something mentioned in the Trib article and not in the Times that I was wondering about. I imagine if they put some nice lighting reflecting of the steel canopies it could give a kinda cool effect. It may not be bad to have the steel mirror the same kind that will be used at the Spire site along LSD if possible......

Quote:
The under-bridges will be covered by stainless steel canopies to prevent trash, dirt or anything else from raining down on the people below street level.
Also they mention that will jut out seventeen feet, I thought they were originally planning to make it a ten foot walkway. Maybe I misunderstood or the plans changed.

Last edited by nomarandlee; April 28th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #139
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Here are this summer's river activites:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...xt=Recent+News
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #140
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...iver29.article

From Cajun to sushi, Riverwalk fills out its menu

June 29, 2008Recommend

BY MARY WISNIEWSKIStaff Reporter/[email protected]

A Cajun restaurant, a sushi grill and a French wine bar are among the new cafes open along the Chicago River downtown this summer.

The Riverwalk area between Lake Shore Drive and Franklin now has eight cafes, along with boat tours, water taxis, bike rentals, souvenirs, a river museum and a three-block display of public art. New vendors this year also include a coffee and bubble tea cafe and one that sells Hawaiian shaved ice.

"Most cities just have a river, and are lucky to have a river," Mayor Daley said Saturday at a ceremony marking the expansion of the city's summer Riverwalk Concession program. "We have two great things, Lake Michigan and the Chicago River."

Daley said the Chicago River, once stinking with pollution and blocked to visitors by fences, is becoming a recreational attraction equal to the lake.

Plans are going forward this summer to connect the walkways from the lakefront to State Street, so pedestrians can walk under the Michigan and Wabash bridges.

The Michigan bridge project may start in the next six weeks, and the Wabash project will start in the summer or fall, according to Chicago Department of Transportation spokesman Brian Steele. The promenade should be done by the end of the year.