daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #141
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Nice.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #142
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

these are posted all along the river, they appear to be permanent.

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #143
msu2001la

Likes (Received): 0

I should get a photo of the benches facing the wrong way.

Seriously, who wants to sit down there and eat lunch while looking at either a wall, or traffic barreling by on lower wacker? The benches should all face the river, dummies...
msu2001la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #144
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...iver15.article

Mich. Ave. riverwalk to cost city $8.1 mil.
WALSH CONSTRUCTION | Clout-heavy firm gets pact, earlier estimated at $4 mil.

July 15, 2008Recommend (2)

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

A clout-heavy company with two generations of ties to the Daley family has been chosen to fill in a "missing link" in Chicago's riverwalk at a cost of $8.1 million, double the city's original estimate.

The contract awarded last month calls for Walsh Construction to build a walkway on landfill beneath the Michigan Avenue bridge so pedestrians can stroll along the Chicago River without running upstairs, crossing the street and going back downstairs.

The walkway was supposed to cost $4 million and be financed through the Central Loop tax increment financing district. Instead, Walsh will be paid $8.1 million. Walsh was the "lowest qualified bidder" after a seemingly lower bid was ultimately deemed to be higher.

"An estimate is just that. We never know what the market is going to bear until we actually bid a contract," said Transportation Department spokesman Brian Steele.

"Factors that have led to this being higher than anticipated include increased fuel costs, significant increases in the cost of steel and just a general increase in construction costs."

City Hall has pegged the cost of a second "underbridge" beneath Wabash at $6 million because it's a longer walkway that includes the Wabash Plaza adjacent to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. That contract has not yet been bid. If the cost of that project also doubles, the amount siphoned from the Central Loop TIF could top $20 million...............
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #145
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Sigh... this kind of shit reflects so poorly on Chicago
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #146
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Sigh... this kind of shit reflects so poorly on Chicago
not really, it's a way of life here
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #147
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I liked the corruption better when it involved Daley tearing up airports for rich people and shutting up NIMBY-pandering Alderhacks.

But this kind of corruption, well....sort of sucks.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #148
skybuzz

I may be naive, or just unique, but I see the Riverwalk as becoming an extremely important element of Chicago. This is precisely the sort of thing that I, as a taxpayer, am willing to spend money on... The more reasons for people to come, walk, and enjoy downtown Chicago, the better.
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #149
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybuzz View Post
I may be naive, or just unique, but I see the Riverwalk as becoming an extremely important element of Chicago. This is precisely the sort of thing that I, as a taxpayer, am willing to spend money on... The more reasons for people to come, walk, and enjoy downtown Chicago, the better.
I heartily agree. The newspaper, as always, gives anything and everything even remotely related to the Mayor as tainted by corruption. It would be a better public service if they would dig deep and gives us the exact design, engineering and construction costs item by item.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #150
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybuzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
I heartily agree. The newspaper, as always, gives anything and everything even remotely related to the Mayor as tainted by corruption. It would be a better public service if they would dig deep and gives us the exact design, engineering and construction costs item by item.
exactly. what exactly is so corrupt about this? becuase the press likes to call Walsh construction "clout heavy"? GMAFB. If you want to be a good journalist, give me details of the riverwalk and end your witch hunt. It makes me sick.
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #151
InTheValley

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
exactly. what exactly is so corrupt about this? becuase the press likes to call Walsh construction "clout heavy"? GMAFB. If you want to be a good journalist, give me details of the riverwalk and end your witch hunt. It makes me sick.

You missed the answer! It was written by the "suntimes"......enough said.
That paper has absolutely "NO" credibilty for anything any more.
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #152
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Am I the only one who thinks that this is a perfect use of TIF funds, unlike corporate incentive packages?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #153
nrioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a perfect use of TIF funds, unlike corporate incentive packages?
I think you are spot on. This helps out with infrastructure which can attract tourists and businesses. I'd say that's a text book use of TIF funds.
nrioq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #154
Chitowner245

^ I agree as well. A great use of TIF funds indeed. This will certainly become a draw for tourists and residents alike.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #155
Abner

It is a little aggravating that the Sun-Times chooses to pick out one project that actually resembles the intended use of TIF funds. There would have been plenty of reporting to be done on, say, the TIF money for Union Station, or any number of projects that were more expensive and of more dubious benefit than this one.
Abner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #156
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I think folks are missing the point here. The lowest bid was double the estimate. Instead of rebidding or modifying the project, CDOT awarded the contract anyway, to the mayor's buddies. The Sun-Times is not questioning the value of the project nor the use of TIF money.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #157
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #158
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Still, I can't imagine a project of this scope coming in anywhere near 4 million.

The City lowballed their estimate, as usual, to gain approval for the project.
exactly. the sun-times is just witch hunting as usual. worthless journalism.
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM   #159
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

^I'm curious what purpose you think newspapers serve in a free society, if not to point out the shortcomings of public figures. The Sun-Times story does not place the blame, it merely points out that the lowest bid was twice the estimate, yet a contract was awarded anyway. Blame could lie with those who lowballed the estimate, those who submitted the bid, or those who awarded the contract. In any case, we taxpayers have a right to know that this happened. Where is there a "witch hunt?"
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM   #160
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^I'm curious what purpose you think newspapers serve in a free society, if not to point out the shortcomings of public figures.
I'd like to see Chicago with at least one newspaper of the calibre of The Wall Street Journal or the Manchester Guardian or several European presses; someone willing to give me the complete details of the bidding process; cite all the details contained in the project being bid on; what was the thinking and who were the principles in the decision process; what are the construction bid histories of the firms who participated; how much, if any contributions were made to the Mayor's and aldermen's campaign coffers; who are the legal firms involved and what were their fees and political ties, etc. etc. Boring stuff, I admit, especially compared to a free societies lust for scandal. I'm certain we could be far better served than we are by the Chicago press; a situation grown considerably worse with declining subscriptions.