daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2006, 01:21 AM   #441
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

Trim in store for Trump's promotional kiosk sign

By Blair Kamin

Tribune architecture critic
Published October 20, 2006

So this is the way it happens in this toddlin' town. You go out of town, as I did last week, and you come back and find that a giant kiosk has materialized in front of the Wrigley Building.

It stands 10 feet tall. It's 4 1/2 feet wide. And it's topped by very shiny silver letters that spell out "Trump International Hotel & Tower."

The kiosk is a miniature billboard. One side displays an area map. The other flaunts what can only be characterized as advertisement for Donald Trump's 92-story hotel and condominium tower, now clambering into the air a block west of North Michigan Avenue.

"Super-luxury residences with unrivalled hotel amenities. 5-star hotel condominiums," the text purrs. "White glove door staff & concierge."

The text lists the stratospheric prices, topping out at more than $9 million, and even provides a phone number. The Donald, who is scheduled to speak in Rosemont this weekend at one of those get-rich expos, still has property to peddle.

I know, I know -- there are worse things in the world to complain about, but this is an unwarranted commercial intrusion in the public way. And this particular intrusion comes right in front of the frilly white skyscraper that is a revered symbol of Chicago. It makes the Wrigley Building look like a prop, the outdoor plaza between its north and south sides a mere entryway to The Donald's Magic Kingdom.

The offending kiosk was designed by Cincinnati-based Catt Lyon Design + Wayfinding. It consists of two posts and, above them, two slightly curving sides of stainless steel that are fashionably dynamic and evoke the Trump Tower's sleek skin. If its advertising weren't so blatant, it would be utterly forgettable.

According to Brian Steele, a Chicago Department of Transportation spokesman, the City Council approved the kiosk in 2003, bestowing "a grant of privilege" that allows kiosks on the sidewalk. There are comparable kiosks, with a map on one side and advertising on the other, elsewhere downtown, he added.

Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd), in whose ward the Trump tower sits, said he supported the legislation because the kiosk would direct pedestrians to a riverwalk at the base of the Trump Tower and the shops alongside the riverwalk.

"We essentially have a Michigan Avenue entrance through the Wrigley towers onto our site," elaborated Jill Cremer, vice president of development for the Trump Organization. "We wanted to attract pedestrians from North Michigan Avenue to our project through upper North Water Street and down to the riverwalk, which will be an amenity to the entire city."

Yet the kiosk mentions the riverwalk as part of the litany of features that are supposed to entice you to buy. When I told Natarus about the advertising, he replied: "I did not know that. I did not see that. And that will come down."

A few minutes later, he called back. He had walked over to the kiosk to see it for himself.

"I told the Trump people to remove the content," he said. "The plaque is not bad," he said, meaning the kiosk. "I told them to remove the advertising."

If Natarus winds up getting rid of the ads, he'll deserve praise. But the issue isn't going away.

Trump wants more kiosks along the riverwalk. Other developers may see his kiosk as a precedent that will allow them to trot out their own mini-billboards. The Boul Mich's sidewalks already are cluttered with kiosks, those so-called City Information signs that provide as much advertising as information.

None of this is earthshaking in and of itself. But the public realm is being subjected to the equivalent of water torture. It's being dragged down, drip by drip.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:31 AM   #442
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ There's a nice real player interview with Kamin regarding the project in the Tribune right now
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:00 AM   #443
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Today from Aon Center (75th fl)

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:14 AM   #444
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

^ Great picture i_am_hydrogen. Looks like it's starting to move skyward again. The building has remained at a near constant height the past month or so.
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #445
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Well, if we're to assume the validity of the information in the article posted above - that would likely be the result of the construction of one of the building's transfer floors. It was stated that they would take nearly a month to construct rather than the typical seven-days for any other floor.

The good news is that we should be ready to see our first set-back once the climb resumes
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #446
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

From tonight

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #447
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

I am now beginning to realize the scope and magnitude of this tower.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #448
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

great shot, the glass is coming up very fast
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #449
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

3 photos from 10/24/06

View of the arcaded main and mezzanine levels on the south side of the structure - 2006-10-24

View up the southwest edge of the structure - 2006-10-24

View to the northeast towards the helix ramp - 2006-10-24
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #450
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...l?page_id=2095

92 floors of energy efficiency
From complex computer models to old-fashioned steam vents, these two ensure Trump Tower's residents will be comfy — without going over budget, of course.

Trump's green people

How to pack energy efficiency into 92 stories

By John T. Slania

[IMG]http://www.***************************/random/trump20061030.gif[/IMG]
Photo: John R. Boehm

Gary Griffith and Deirdre McDaniel, above, are responsible for helping bring energy savings to Trump International Hotel & Tower. Mr. Griffith, 47, is senior project manager at Commonwealth Edison Co. Ms. McDaniel, 39, works for Chicago-based WMA Consulting Engineering Ltd., where she is a vice-president. Both have similar philosophies about how a high-rise should be designed for energy efficiency, and they met recently at the Trump Tower construction site to share their ideas.

Describe your role in helping the Trump Organization design and build an energy-efficient high-rise.

Ms. McDaniel: As the mechanical engineer on the project, I'm responsible for working with the architects to make sure the design is functional, follows [city] code, and stays on budget. I'm responsible for the building's electrical, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, water, plumbing and fire safety systems. And I'm looking for energy efficiency in those areas. Examples would be adding high-efficiency water heaters, energy efficient circulating systems and fans, and lighting controls, like dimmer switches and sensors that turn out the lights when no one is in the room.

Mr. Griffith: I'm the main customer contact for ComEd. My job is to discuss the power needs of the customer, like forecasting how many feeder lines and transformers they need. I also help them figure out where the power lines will be located, and providing the customer with the most economical system.

Describe how you're making Trump International Hotel & Tower more energy efficient.

Ms. McDaniel: It starts with the curtain wall — the "skin" on the outside of the building. We chose customized thermal-pane glass that controls the amount of sunlight that enters the building and is able to limit the amount of wind that enters. In the winter, the less air that seeps into the building, the lower the heating costs. In the summer, the less sunlight, the lower the air conditioning costs. Being able to tap into the Chicago River for water to cool the building is a big cost savings. Traditional systems require you to pump water to the roof of the building because they create steam, and that steam must escape into the air. That's why you see plumes of smoke on high-rises. Our system allows that water to escape back into the Chicago River. So you're saving money by not having to pump that water to the roof and not having to add fans to eject the steam. We also have a computerized climate-control system that regulates the temperature and ventilation of the building. This determines how much the air must be conditioned. If it's a cool day with low humidity, the computers know that the air doesn't need to be conditioned, which saves money.

Mr. Griffith: The main thing we were able to do was run a computer model and forecast that it didn't need as much power as originally thought. You take electrical-use information of buildings with similar energy needs and run the numbers. It helps you predict what a new building's needs will be. For Trump Tower, we were able to reduce the number of electrical feeder lines to eight from 11, and transformers to 80 from 100, which saved Trump $500,000. And since the equipment took up 20,000 square feet less of space, it gave them a little more square footage to use for something else. They picked up a little more room in the hotel lobby.

What's it like working on such a large project?

Ms. McDaniel: I've helped build a lot of power plants in Missouri in the 1990s and I'm working on some big projects in the city — the ongoing conversion of the Palmolive Building (159 E. Walton Place) into condos and the Canyon Ranch project, which is going on now at 680 N. Rush St. But this is the most challenging by far, not only because of its size, but how it's being built. It's really three projects: the hotel, the public space and the condominiums. It's opening in phases, so you have to approach it like three different projects.

Mr. Griffith: I've worked on the new Post Office [a 1.5-million-square-foot building in the South Loop] in 1995, and ABN-Amro Plaza [a 30-story building in the West Loop] in 2002. But this is the biggest building I've worked on. This building uses as much power as a small town with 4,000 homes.

What's it like working for the Trump Organization?

Mr. Griffith: They demand quality. They want the best service and equipment. But they also want it to be as cost-effective as possible. So they demand that you provide them with the best products and services, but they also are very tough on the pricing.

Ms. McDaniel
: Things are very fast-paced. It's rapid-fire, move, move, move. We came on late — in September 2004 — because Trump changed engineering firms at the last minute. We had to hit the ground running. We had fours months to design and one month to get the permits before construction. There were a lot of long days in the beginning. The Christmas holiday season was a blur. I was expected to work hard on the design and have a wonderful holiday. But Trump wanted to apply for the permits in January, which meant there was no break. They wanted it turned around pretty quick.

©2006 by Crain Communications Inc.
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #451
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Many of the photos that have been posted lately have been night shots. I guess that I will just add the ones that I took tonight to the mix.

11/12/06

View to the east from the top of a parking structure - 2006-11-12

View of the northeastern edge of the structure with the Wrigley Building to the left and the Sheraton Hotel in the background - 2006-11-12

View to the west from the Michigan Avenue Bridge

View of the structure from Wacker Drive
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #452
WesternburbsTony23

Likes (Received): 0

I was just by the site this weekend. Windows are going good, but come on, is this thing every going to go higher!!!!!!!!! Such impatience on my part. It has been at this level for the last few months.

Go upward!!!!
WesternburbsTony23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #453
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

great night shot's
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #454
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

When did this building change from 92 to 96 floors?
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #455
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
when they decided to count a mezannine level as a seperate floor.
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #456
IlEstAndré

Likes (Received): 0

ITS RISING!!! Its coming faster than I thought I <3 Chicago after:
Buffalo (A new 600ft building in the selling point, date of completion 2010)
& Philly (Just love the history and the city)
Don't realy like NYC (Just steel buildings were the development)
IlEstAndré no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #457
SkylineHeaven
Chicago: One and Only

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternburbsTony23 View Post
I was just by the site this weekend. Windows are going good, but come on, is this thing every going to go higher!!!!!!!!! Such impatience on my part. It has been at this level for the last few months.

Go upward!!!!
Trump is having emergency meeting with its engineers to come up to a plan to outdone Chicago Spire...go figure I would be patient just for something more extreme to come out!

Chicago Skyline Wallpaper - November, 2006

Chicago Skyline Heaven : Only da best of one and only!

City Skylines Heaven : Show us the best city skyline pix
SkylineHeaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #458
SkylineHeaven
Chicago: One and Only

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
Don't be suprise that it will trying to compete with Chicago Spire 100+ floors coming?

Chicago Skyline Wallpaper - November, 2006

Chicago Skyline Heaven : Only da best of one and only!

City Skylines Heaven : Show us the best city skyline pix
SkylineHeaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #459
KansasCityMO

Likes (Received): 2

I love the cladding on this building. Looks like they're doing good on getting plenty of levels covered with glass to last the winter.
KansasCityMO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #460
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

From the 20th floor of 330 North Wabash 11/15/06

I mentioned all the rebar that's being used, well here it is.

Lots of rebar coming together that will form transfer beams - 2006-11-15

Partially bumped core - 2006-11-15

Working on decking for the 17th floor - 2006-11-15

View of the structure from the 20th floor of 330 North Wabash - 2006-11-15

Transfer beam connections to a concrete perimeter wall - 2006-11-15

Working on the rebar for the core walls - 2006-11-15