daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #481
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

Victor and 649:

Very nice pics. This building is classy.
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:39 AM   #482
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Took these today.

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:41 AM   #483
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

that glass looks really good

If a tidal wave hits L.A just grab a fake boob for safety.
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM   #484
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

great shot's. is that the setback on the right?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:42 PM   #485
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...ate=2006-12-02

Trump's odds
By John T. Slania

On every major construction site, there are some jobs that stand out because they are so unusual. That's certainly the case at the $800-million Trump International Hotel & Tower. The 92-story complex will require plenty of sweat and toil by the time it's finished late next year — and not only from construction workers. Here are two of the project's odder jobs.

Mending wounds

With hundreds of workers on site, accidents are bound to happen. So the Trump Organization employs two paramedics. One of those is Shari Grassmuck, whose other employer is the Chicago Fire Department. In her regular job, Ms. Grassmuck works a 24-hour shift, then has 72 hours off. She moonlights for Trump, rotating shifts with fellow fire department paramedic Lou Scatena.

"I do this because I think it's interesting, and I want to be a part of history," Ms. Grassmuck says. "If I ever have grandchildren, I want to be able to tell them about it."

In the morning, Ms. Grassmuck typically conducts pre-employment drug tests on new workers. Later, she dons a 30-pound backpack filled with equipment and medications and walks all over the construction site. Carrying the backpack is not a challenge on the lower floors, where she can ride the elevator. But there is some lag time before the elevator reaches new floors, forcing Ms. Grassmuck to lug herself and the backpack up wooden ladders. "It can get heavy at times, but I get a great workout," she says.

Trump employs the paramedics because the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires an emergency response time of five minutes or less. To give the paramedics a better chance of getting to an injured worker in the upper reaches of the building, carpenters built a Spartan wooden structure, with a bench and a space heater, on the 14th floor. "It's not much, but it's home. We call it the 'Sugar Shack,' " Ms. Grassmuck says, laughing.

She can afford some levity because, so far, she and her partner have dealt with nothing more serious than broken fingers, minor head wounds and bee stings. Although that's not all.

"There are some strange critters up here," she says. "There have been some nasty spider bites, and one guy was bitten by a bat."

The Skipper

While Mike Smith jokes that his job has "its ups and downs," he acknowledges that he has one of the better gigs on the construction site.

The heavy-equipment operator for New York-based contractor Bovis Lend Lease runs one of the two elevators on the site. Essentially a cage 12 feet high and 30 feet long, the elevator is called a "skip" by workers because it skips from floor to floor.

It's not exactly a model of efficiency. There's a speaker mounted on the wall to alert Mr. Smith when someone needs a lift, but it emits muffled sounds like the defective speakers on old el trains. So Mr. Smith ignores the calls and keeps his skip moving up and down. When he sees a rider, he throws the stop lever, pushes open the cage doors and welcomes his new cargo.

While slightly more sheltered, Mr. Smith has to brave the elements like other workers. "In the summer, it gets hot in here. The sun heats this up like an Easy-Bake Oven," he says. Now that it's getting colder, Mr. Smith has covered the cage openings with insulation to block the wind coming off of the Chicago River.

While Mr. Smith claims he's not afraid of heights, he's not so sure that will hold true in another 18 months, when the elevator is climbing 92 floors.

"We'll see what it will be like when that wind is blowing up there, rocking this thing," he says. "It might be a different story."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #486
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...ate=2006-12-02

Trump's conductor
Concrete, steel and the making of music

Curtis Brown, 50, is in charge of "making sure everyone is playing nicely on the playground." That's a tall order when your playground will eventually cover 92 stories and employ some 800 workers. We asked the Bovis Lend Lease employee, whose official title is job superintendent for the Trump International Hotel & Tower, how he does it.

How do you keep everyone in line?

It's not easy. You have to try to stick with a schedule that is drawn up three years in advance. You have to make sure the right materials and equipment are arriving on time and that the tradesmen are completing their work on time. It's a lot like being a conductor. You need to have everything working in symphony, only I'm worrying about concrete and steel instead of bass and woodwinds.

What jobs would you consider most important?

All the jobs are important because one can't be done without the other. But since this is the tallest concrete building ever built, you need tons of concrete each day. So you keep an eye on the people who work with concrete because it can affect your schedule. Same with the curtain wall, the glass panels that are put on the building, which serve as its "skin." You want to keep work progressing on that. And then the elevators are critical. They move people and materials up and down. So you want them to keep moving.

How close are you to schedule?

I'd say for the most part, we are (on time). There are some contractors who are ahead of schedule on their work, some who are a week or two behind. But if you put them all together, I'd say we're generally on schedule.

What are the challenges to staying on schedule?

Materials not arriving on time, for one. We have hundreds of trucks going in and out each day delivering materials. It has to be carefully orchestrated. Another is making sure the subcontractors are on schedule. I have the name and phone number of every superintendent of every subcontractor on my cell phone. I'm on the phone constantly even as I'm walking the job site. Other factors that could affect your schedule include city inspections. You need to make sure you're doing the work right, and safely, so you don't get shut down. Then there is the weather. You get a big snowstorm, and you can get shut down for a week.

How does this project compare with some of the others you've worked on?

I've worked on the south expansion of McCormick Place, Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier, the Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, among others. But this is by far the largest in terms of size and height. Beyond that, there are many unique challenges. Having to demolish the old Sun-Times building and dig a hole 30 feet below ground to bury the caissons (steel and concrete support columns). Worrying about working near the Chicago River. Having to reconstruct Wabash Avenue in front of the building. Then, after all that is done, you begin building the building.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #487
Chi649

From Sat ur Day

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #488
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

After a good day's work followed by a good dinner, there's nothing better than sitting down with a cup of gourmet coffee, loading SkyscraperCity only to discover a great array of pics. The perfect December evening. Thanks Chi649 for all the work you do.
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #489
Chi649

Thank you very much Frumie
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #490
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

i have the feeling it rising quite fast now
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #491
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Trump is looking magnificent already. Great shots!

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #492
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

This is going to look so cool.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #493
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Take a bet. Where will Trump look better and more impressive as it dominates the straight ahead, street ending view:

• Loop, looking north on Wabash (from el platforms)

• River North, looking south on Rush (removed from North Bridge obstruction)
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #494
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^Hands down river north looking south because it doesn't have the bulk that is present when looking north...Looking S. It appears as though its quite slender and has much more emphasis on the rounded edges.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #495
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

December 7, 2006

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #496
Chicago_Skyline
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Good updates, it really looks good from all angles!
Chicago_Skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #497
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

From today.

Old December 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #498
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 878

Photos taken December 12, 2006

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #499
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

12/16/06 - a different perspective, from the Michigan Ave bridge - Trump is on the right:
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #500
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

it's looking Very Huge
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote