daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #81
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I know, but it's just not the same There's a second webcam too. I think I posted it on the first page of this thread.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #82
Adam186
Work harder, work faster

Likes (Received): 1

^I agree that it's not the same. You don't really get a good sense of whats going on down there. It's the only thing I have, being here in Omaha/Lincoln and being obsessed with this building. I'll take a look on the first page. Thanks.
Adam186 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #83
spyguy
Expert

If concrete does start to pour tomorrow or Saturday, will someone be sure to go out and take MANY pics?
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #84
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

I did just happen to take a few snaps today. You can't really tell that much has been done even though I'm sure that has.

Looking into the excavation site with steel rebar being placed for the mat foundation - 2005-9-29

View to the southwest over the construction site - 2005-9-29

A section of the Wabash viaduct ready for its final layer of concrete - 2005-9-29
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #85
2PRUROCKS!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote by STR

Quote by 2PRUROCKS!
Some of you may be interested in attending a lecture with Adrian Smith and William Baker from SOM. They will be talking about TTC and Burj Dubai. This lecture is being sponsored by the Chicago Architecture Foundation...cost is $20 and it is at 6pm Tuesday Sept. 27. I for one will be there.

more info:
www.architecture.org
(312)922-3432X266

I'd go, but I can't make it; ####ing math class.

If they allow you to ask questions, make sure to pester them on the height of da Burj.

Well there wasn't a whole lot of new info at the meeting but it was still really good.

They can't say the height of Burj, only that it is over 2000ft and 160-169 stories.

They also talked about Nanjing (sp?) Finincial Tower in China that they have designed. It will be taller than TTC (458 M I thought they mentioned with spire). It has a theme of 2 interlocking dragons so there are 2 main sections of the tower with scale like windows that angle out at different directions.

A. Smith kept refering to TTC as being 95 stories (92 occupied and 3 mechanical). I got a much better idea of what the river walk and plaza area will look like. It will be 3 levels, the lowest 5ft above the river with shops, resturants, and landscaped to the tilt with tons of lush vegetation. The colums that rise from the base will be round and covered in stainlees steel. They will rise exposed about 60ft off the ground before being covered by the glass curtain wall. I asked about the lighting scheme of TTC at night and A. Smith said there wouldn't be much. They didn't want to disturb neighbors or the residents of TTC itself and other buildings (e.g., Wrigely) would help light it. I think he thought I was asking if it would be lit up like Wrigely but I was wondering more about the top and spire. I still think the top and spire must be lit up in some fashion. If not if would have to be one of the tallest buildings not to have decorative lighting at the top.

Somebody asked if A. Smith thought Fordham Spire would be built. Smith was doubtful based on the price points need for units for such a tall and complex design. He said he thought it might eventually be built but shorter or with a less complex design.
2PRUROCKS! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #86
spyguy
Expert

Hope the plaza will be as nice as they say it is. And the lighting scheme puzzles me. I don't care too much for the lower half, but the top and spire definitely need something. That little curved part is meant for some kind of light Trump and Waterview should keep in the tradition of having festive lights on a few days at least.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:52 AM   #87
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well, they started pouring the mat foundation today at around 12. They will be pouring all night until they are finished. I was told several different figures, but they are pretty much in the same ballpark. They will be pouring between 5000 and 5500 cubic yards of concrete which will arrive in roughly 550 to 600 different trucks. I'm not sure what the exact figures are at the moment, but I will keep digging to get something more acurate. I did take a few photos, and I will try to post them later on if possible.

I'm off the the sales center for 600 North Fairbanks.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:58 AM   #88
HowardL

550 to 600 different trucks! Holy hell. That sounds like a logistics nightmare. The more I follow this project, the more respect I have for the guys doing construction administration. Massive.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:12 AM   #89
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Well, they started pouring the mat foundation today at around 12. They will be pouring all night until they are finished. I was told several different figures, but they are pretty much in the same ballpark. They will be pouring between 5000 and 5500 cubic yards of concrete which will arrive in roughly 550 to 600 different trucks. I'm not sure what the exact figures are at the moment, but I will keep digging to get something more acurate. I did take a few photos, and I will try to post them later on if possible.

I'm off the the sales center for 600 North Fairbanks.
Please take some pictures...

I have been thinking the same thing... 600 Trucks!!! Traffic mmust be horrible.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:20 AM   #90
spyguy
Expert

Oh. My. Goodness.

600 trucks? What a nightmare that must be. They deserve every penny they get if they pull it off without a mess.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:14 AM   #91
HowardL

OK, so I'm a little hung up on the truck count. I leave the office late tonight and the first thing I see is a concrete truck. It's around 8:00pm, so a little strange for concrete trucks. Then another right behind it. Then two more while I'm waiting for the light to change. Chicago Avenue was like a freaking concrete truck parade. Full trucks going east and then turning on Clark and empty trucks beating it back west. By time I ducked into the subway at State, at least 15 or 20 had motored by.

I so wanted to take a stroll over to the site and see this event first hand, but it's five years with my boy tonight, and seeing as I was already late, I thought that would be a really bad idea.

Nonetheless, not another person on the street gave it a second notice, but I thought it was damn cool.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:38 AM   #92
spyguy
Expert

Parade of trucks. I would love to see that myself ...
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:44 AM   #93
itsnotrequired

I'm pretty in the bag but am debating heading down to the site...
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:59 AM   #94
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Okay, here are some images of the concrete pour that I took today. I will go past the site once again tomorrow so that I can take images of the final product. It was extreme interesting to watch.

View to the northwest (mat pour A) - 2005-9-30

One of the concrete pumps at work (mat pour B) - 2005-9-30

A view to the northeast with 2 concrete pumps at work (mat pour C) - 2005-9-30

A parade of concrete trucks ready to deliver their load (mat pour D) - 2005-9-30

View to the southwest (mat pour E) - 2005-9-30

A concrete pump delivering material (mat pour F) - 2005-9-30

Concrete trucks under the Wabash Avenue viaduct (mat pour G) - 2005-9-30

View over the excavation site with 3 concrete pumps now at work (mat pour H) - 2005-9-30

Many concrete trucks ready to deliver their load (mat pour I) - 2005-9-30

View to the northwest (mat pour J) - 2005-9-30
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:04 AM   #95
spyguy
Expert

I'm happy you took such good shots.
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:23 AM   #96
itsnotrequired

3 pump trucks? That's awesome!
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM   #97
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Awesome...

so 9/30 marks the concrete in the TTC.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 04:31 PM   #98
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

The concrete pour continues......

I just came from the site and they aren't finished yet. WOW!!!!!!!

They started around noon yesterday and it's 8:30am now.
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #99
kayosthery
I build'em

I just want to make sure you all know what equipment they are using. Those are not concrete pumps, they are conveyors. Same intake mechanism, but instead of sucking the concrete into a piston and pushing it through the pipe, the concrete just travels along a belt. The conveyor can extend and retract, move left to right, and up and down. It works the same as a pump, just a little clumsier. Wait till you see the stationary pump they ordered from Germany. That thing will have some horsepower. It is very hard to push concrete 40 stories, let alone 92... or so. The vertical sections of the pipe will get clogged and many a pour will be delayed or slow due the height. It still is faster than crane and bucket though when you get all the way to the top.

Having 600 trucks is not as much a logistical nightmare as you may think. The concrete is ordered and I'm sure Prairie has told the rest of their customers to hold off for the weekend. They have probably dedicated their whole fleet out of yard 32 to this pour plus some. There are trucks in reserve and the drivers may be on some sort of a break schedule as well. This should go fairly well, there is no chance of a blowout because they are pouring all the way up to the sheet piling and the laborers and finishers will be there to grade the top and smooth it out later.

Last edited by kayosthery; October 1st, 2005 at 05:26 PM.
kayosthery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM   #100
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
I just want to make sure you all know what equipment they are using. Those are not concrete pumps, they are conveyors. Same intake mechanism, but instead of sucking the concrete into a piston and pushing it through the pipe, the concrete just travels along a belt. The conveyor can extend and retract, move left to right, and up and down. It works the same as a pump, just a little clumsier. Wait till you see the stationary pump they ordered from Germany. That thing will have some horsepower. It is very hard to push concrete 40 stories, let alone 92... or so. The vertical sections of the pipe will get clogged and many a pour will be delayed or slow due the height. It still is faster than crane and bucket though when you get all the way to the top.

Having 600 trucks is not as much a logistical nightmare as you may think. The concrete is ordered and I'm sure Prairie has told the rest of their customers to hold off for the weekend. They have probably dedicated their whole fleet out of yard 32 to this pour plus some. There are trucks in reserve and the drivers may be on some sort of a break schedule as well. This should go fairly well, there is no chance of a blowout because they are pouring all the way up to the sheet piling and the laborers and finishers will be there to grade the top and smooth it out later.

I don't know why I used the word "pump". I guess that I am just used to them pumping concrete. This morning they were putting foam insulation on top of the northeast 1/3 of the mat.