daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #1321
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

07/09/08

one of the best I've ever seen

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #1322
bmeup

Likes (Received): 0

07/08/08

Question for BVic: I've never seen one of the dinner boats on the river before. Does this happen often? I have to think that raising the bridges for one dinner boat would require some clout.
bmeup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #1323
InTheValley

Likes (Received): 1

06wt....where are you? Are you still over @ Clare? I havent heard anything from in a few weeks and just looking to see if you have any news on anything.
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #1324
Helmet Yawn

nice pic's.

i wonder how this building would've looked with balconies? i often compare this tower to the museum park tower, but at least there they have a certain numbers of units with a balcony. i give p & h and enterprise credit for trying...it's not easy to integrate balconies into a residential tower.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #1325
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeup View Post
07/08/08

Question for BVic: I've never seen one of the dinner boats on the river before. Does this happen often? I have to think that raising the bridges for one dinner boat would require some clout.
It's happened a few times this summer. The only go as far as the Sheraton. Usually picking up large parties.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #1326
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
nice pic's.

i wonder how this building would've looked with balconies? i often compare this tower to the museum park tower, but at least there they have a certain numbers of units with a balcony. i give p & h and enterprise credit for trying...it's not easy to integrate balconies into a residential tower.
awful.

this tower is best without balconies. the terraces are enough.
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1327
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

agreed. it is way to big and too many units for balconies sticking out everywhere
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1328
Chiman

Balconies on higher floors of condos are a waste of valuable space and an obstacle to good design. In Chicago, it is apparently marketing suicide to exclude them – kudos to Trump for trying it.

With the wind and weather around here they are not good for much – how often do you actually see anyone out on their balcony? … Not often.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1329
Helmet Yawn

i kinda like the idea of projectile white resin furniture myself..... =)
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #1330
cabrabuitre

Does anyone know how much more height they have to go? I was downtown last weekend and saw the Trump from the Theater district (I hadn't seen it except from pictures previously), and it appears they may be building the final couple of stories/roof (it looks like it's sticking out more than the previous floors).
cabrabuitre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #1331
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
Balconies on higher floors of condos are a waste of valuable space and an obstacle to good design. In Chicago, it is apparently marketing suicide to exclude them – kudos to Trump for trying it.

With the wind and weather around here they are not good for much – how often do you actually see anyone out on their balcony? … Not often.
Not always.

Waterview Tower will have balconies, and it actually adds to the design.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #1332
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Not always.

Waterview Tower will have balconies, and it actually adds to the design.
100% agreement. Did you ever look at the floor plans? The full floor penthouses have balconies facing every direction, absolutely an integral part of the layout.

Hell, if I were in a high rise within sight of Monroe Harbor and Navy Pier, I'd want a balcony just for the fireworks alone.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1333
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Has anyone noticed the darker blue banding of glass on every 4th or 5th floor?

07/13/08

Old July 15th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #1334
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

They look like taller floors, maybe that has something to do with it.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1335
edsg25
BANNED

QUESTION:

Prior to construction, there was a worry that Trump would overpower a Chicago icon next door, the Wrigley Building.

Based on where Trump is now (so close to the top), do you see any adverse effect on Wrigley due to the scale differential?
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1336
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

not at all IMO. wrigley looks awesome with the trump tower in the background when looking at the buildings from the east. (in the NBC tower plaza area) I need to get the camera + tripod and take a shot at night. you can be the judge.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #1337
Helmet Yawn

in answer to your question, there was some worry locally in the architectural community that putting anything taller than the old sun times building would dwarf the buildings at michigan & wacker - mainly, the wrigley building, 333 michigan, the tribune tower and obviously to a lesser extent, the equitable building- and take away from it's prominence.

but i think that the quality of adrian smith's sculpted building with its well thought out setbacks, adds to the riverfront without destroying the space at michigan & wacker.

but as with everything, one can debate the aesthetics....in my experience, it's a lot easier to 'sell' the idea of a traditional building than it is to sell a modern design. i suppose in an ironic twist, using a relatively stripped-down Miesian curtain wall on trump is arguably a contextual gesture. the once controvercial Mies buildings of old are like an old comfortable chair now. =)
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #1338
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
in answer to your question, there was some worry locally in the architectural community that putting anything taller than the old sun times building would dwarf the buildings at michigan & wacker - mainly, the wrigley building, 333 michigan, the tribune tower and obviously to a lesser extent, the equitable building- and take away from it's prominence.

but i think that the quality of adrian smith's sculpted building with its well thought out setbacks, adds to the riverfront without destroying the space at michigan & wacker.

but as with everything, one can debate the aesthetics....in my experience, it's a lot easier to 'sell' the idea of a traditional building than it is to sell a modern design. i suppose in an ironic twist, using a relatively stripped-down Miesian curtain wall on trump is arguably a contextual gesture. the once controvercial Mies buildings of old are like an old comfortable chair now. =)
It was at the behest of the local NIMBY's who objected to the blocked sight lines and suggested to Adrian Smith that he round the corners. A rare instance of community input that enhanced design.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #1339
edsg25
BANNED

I agree with you guys. And truthfully, the most important and icon view of the Wrigley Bldg is looking north from Michigan Ave, due south of the river. And that view is unaffected by Trump.

The other view of note, the floodlight view at night is best seen by boat on on Wacker east of Michigan and while Trump appears, one's eyes are drawn northwestward and the view of WB is not hurt.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1340
chrome13

Any of you ridiculously awesome photographers notice how good Trump looks like from Elston? Especially a bit further out, like in the Elston/California intersection in Avondale. There is a great contrast between the local streetscape and this huge, shining skyscraper which just towers over everything in the foreground. I'm drawn to it everytime I pass by the intersection.

Last edited by chrome13; July 17th, 2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: i awesomely used awesome twice in the same sentence, bro.
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote