search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #1
Matthew
The Secret Word Is:

Likes (Received): 6

Winston-Salem Streetcar News

Latest route through Downtown, West End and Hawthorne Hill / Ardmore. This will connect Winston-Salem's two big skylines (CBD and Hawthorne Hill).

It looks like great news for Fourth Street and Burke Street bars, clubs and restaurants! This will run right by their doors and by the proposed baseball stadium site! I also like running the line down Main Street to the Wachovia Center! Keeping the cost of the first line (Green Line) to $40-50 million is also great news. The report will be finished by October and work should start then on raising money to bring back the Sprague System Streetcars that once connected the city's grand resort hotel to downtown and the Victorian neighborhoods around the core.

Friday, June 17, 2005
Revised streetcar plan runs on more of Fourth Street
Engineers now to work on details such as costs and the numbers of riders to be expected

By Jim Sparks
JOURNAL REPORTER

The route of a proposed streetcar system linking Piedmont Triad Research Park, downtown Winston-Salem and Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center has changed.

Designers with HDR Engineering Inc. the company studying the feasibility of streetcars in the city, unveiled the revisions during a drop-in presentation yesterday afternoon at City Hall South.

The new 2.6-mile route calls for streetcars to run in a figure-eight pattern downtown and in both directions on more of Fourth Street than originally conceived.

The streetcars would be guided by rails in the road and powered by electricity from small overhead lines. They would run with traffic and stop at red lights, just like buses.

Preliminary plans had called for a roughly 3-mile route that ran one way from Fourth through downtown and on Fifth to Summit Street and back to Burke.

From there, it ran in both directions on First Street and Hawthorne Road, as far as the medical center.

Charles Hales, a vice president with HDR, said that the changes eliminate problem turns and improve the way the route flows.

He also said that moving more of the route to Fourth Street made sense because it looks as if it will have more activity.

"Fourth Street is where the intensity is going to be," Hales said.

With an initial workable route proposed, engineers will begin focusing on the other aspects of the project including exactly what it will cost, how to pay for it and the number of people expected to ride it. Estimates now call for the first phase of the project to run between $40 million and $50 million to build and cost about $2.5 million a year to operate, engineers said.

The revisions cut costs by shortening the route and disturbing fewer underground utilities, consultants said.

Keeping costs as low as possible would make it easier for the community to support the project, Hales said.

"We want the initial segment to be long enough to be a good project but we don't want to put in more than is needed to get started," Hales said.

Potential extensions include lines south to Old Salem and the N.C. School of the Arts, north to Wake Forest University, the fairgrounds and sports complex and east to Winston-Salem State University.

The study should be finished by this October, officials said.

The study is being paid for with a $140,000 federal grant and about $35,000 from by the city of Winston-Salem's Department of Transportation.

Winston-Salem had an extensive streetcar system in the early 1900s but, as in many cities, the tracks were abandoned as more people began to drive cars.

Most of the original tracks were covered by street paving and are still found by construction workers.

City officials and downtown leaders have researched how light rail, including streetcars, has succeeded in other cities, such as Portland, Ore., which paid for its system with federal grants, private money and money from property owners who benefit from being on the routes.

Light-rail lines are seen as a long-term and permanent investment that drives economic development.

• Jim Sparks can be reached at 727-7301 or at [email protected]
Matthew no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #2
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 222

Yeah, I saw this on Fox 8. I really, really hope it goes through. This is just what Winston needs to put its downtown on a whole new level that it needs, IMO.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Justadude

Likes (Received): 1

^I don't know if it would do that much, but it would certainly be a nice addition to the district. Streetcars are probably one of the best ideas for a mid-size city like Winston-Salem. They're attractive, clean, historic, relatively cheap and can move a surprising number of people. And they also make decent tourist attractions if done properly. I hope this works for Winston-Salem.
Justadude no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 222

I've considered Greensboro to have the best DT in the Triad for a few years now. They've been having alot of nice developments these past few years. If the streetcar plan comes through for DT Winston, I think that may bump it up as the best DT in the Triad for quite a while.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Matthew
The Secret Word Is:

Likes (Received): 6

The representation of Winston-Salem on this forum is not that great. I'm the only person posting on the place and I don't live there. Winston-Salem actually has more residential units under construction and planned than Greensboro and more office space proposed. There are plans for an 18-storey condo tower, 15-storey condo tower, 14-storey office building and a 10-storey office building in downtown Winston-Salem. Only the 10-storey office building with residential village was posted at this forum. The other projects have never been posted here. There's also a planned ballpark, a huge number of adaptive reuse projects and new rowhouses. I just found out about the rowhouses on the west side of the CBD a week or two ago and they are under construction already. It's been over half a year since I was there and it was snowing then. I remember seeing coming soon signs in Winston-Salem for places like Starbucks, Maria's Italian Restaurant, Cheesecakes By Alex, a brew pub, two dance clubs and Mellow Mushroom Pizza, just to name a few, in their downtown along this streetcar route and again, that was months ago. I'm sure there is more on the way now and some of those places should be open or about to open by now. I think Deep and Club 411 just opened in the past month? It's a very impressive downtown and gets better and better all the time. They have the right mix of outside investment and local investment. Someone who lives there and is lurking (reading but not posting/registering) should join and share some of these projects with the forum. Letting someone who lives in Asheville and goes to school in another state post everything on your city is not good.
Matthew no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #6
astro

Likes (Received): 0

I agree. But really, the entire Triad is under-repped on this forum right now. It is downright lonely But keep up the good work Matt. Your work is appreciated and does not go unnoticed. You rep W-S well whether you get to spend much time there or not.
astro no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 43

I am all for good ideas that add to our cities. While I would love to see a DT W-S to DT GSO connectivity, I would applaude any effort to provide transportation alternatives, even when only one city is considered. I see no reason why Winston Salem should not take the lead; it is an established city, with rich history and great future.

Matthew, I admire your devotion on Winston-Salem, but I certainly want to see more forumers from that city stepping up to the plate. It is a shame to rely on people who don't even live there for representation. Regardless, you should continue full speed ahead, whenever your schedule allows you to keep us up-to-date about everything-Winston-Salem

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM   #8
ExYankee

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
The representation of Winston-Salem on this forum is not that great. I'm the only person posting on the place and I don't live there. Winston-Salem actually has more residential units under construction and planned than Greensboro and more office space proposed. There are plans for an 18-storey condo tower, 15-storey condo tower, 14-storey office building and a 10-storey office building in downtown Winston-Salem. Only the 10-storey office building with residential village was posted at this forum. The other projects have never been posted here. There's also a planned ballpark, a huge number of adaptive reuse projects and new rowhouses. I just found out about the rowhouses on the west side of the CBD a week or two ago and they are under construction already. It's been over half a year since I was there and it was snowing then. I remember seeing coming soon signs in Winston-Salem for places like Starbucks, Maria's Italian Restaurant, Cheesecakes By Alex, a brew pub, two dance clubs and Mellow Mushroom Pizza, just to name a few, in their downtown along this streetcar route and again, that was months ago. I'm sure there is more on the way now and some of those places should be open or about to open by now. I think Deep and Club 411 just opened in the past month? It's a very impressive downtown and gets better and better all the time. They have the right mix of outside investment and local investment. Someone who lives there and is lurking (reading but not posting/registering) should join and share some of these projects with the forum. Letting someone who lives in Asheville and goes to school in another state post everything on your city is not good.
M., Do you have graphics for these proposals? Thanks for keeping us up to date on W/F!

UrbanCharlotte - A Repository of Urban Images From Everywhere...
ExYankee no está en línea