daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM   #261
urbansouth

Likes (Received): 0

Bayer Properties: Progress being made in tenant search for BJCC entertainment district

Full story here.

So basically this is good news for downtown Bham. It's a $20 million, 60,000-square-foot entertainment district being built next to a $50mil hotel downtown next to our civic center. It's supposed to have bike paths and a lot of walkability stuff. Also a rooftop bar. Check the link for a video promoting it.

This is my first post, btw. I know lots of other stuff about development going on downtown. Also a bit of Montgomery and Tuscaloosa.
urbansouth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #262
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 3886

Welcome Urban South!
sure know how to run free"
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #263
musiccity
Retired Mod

This is in Anniston but it's all Central AL

Longleaf Botanical Gardens

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #264
musiccity
Retired Mod

There is something big going up by Brookwood Village Mall and Brookwood Hospital. Anyone know what it is?
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #265
musiccity
Retired Mod

Are there no posters in Bham?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #266
urbansouth

Yeah, that is a 2-story Target.
Though I have mixed feelings about another big chain store near our downtown core, I like that they're making something unique and it's light on parking (which is good).
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM   #267
urbansouth

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2012...yes_forme.html

Anyways, the developer of the previous link I posted hopes to convert this (ugly) skyscraper into a luxury hotel (in addition to the current hotel they're building- I dunno, maybe the current one is more mid-range).

I wish someone would use one of Birmingham's many tall historic buildings (some of which are vacant right now), but I assume that it would cost more to renovate them. Still, if you're going to name your hotel "Europa" then I think you'd choose something with classical architecture over a steel/glass box.
Ah well, still good news for the city. Over the past year or so there have been massive improvements and efforts made to revitalize the city, including a new master plan which I've looked into deeply and I think it's very good.

Pic is just an update on the previous story I posted.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:22 AM   #268
urbansouth

Various New Developments Around Bham

Pics are of recently-constructed and under-construction projects around the city. Of course these aren't all of them, but these are just most of the ones that I like.

image hosted on flickr

Starting in my suburb of Bham, this is SoHo, a mixed-use development built along with a new city hall. I've never looked into it myself but from what I've heard, the condos are expensive. I'd really like to see more mid-range (and even some lower-range) condos/apts in downtown Homewood, but I guess that's what they're working on now.

image hosted on flickr

Another pic of the development. I like the design a lot. City Hall is in the center there.
It's in a suburb but actually very near the downtown core so I think it's a very positive thing for the city.

image hosted on flickr

Hallman Hill, a mixed-use project on a neighboring block. I like it. Upscale townhomes and condos. In the center there is an open space which won a national architecture award in Las Vegas for "Best New Open Space" or something.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The other part of Hallman Hill (with all of the retail spaces now occupied) and the neighboring new Aloft Hotel. The Aloft Hotel is well-designed stuff but I don't really like the architecture. Ah well.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Across the street is the under-construction "The Hill" mixed-use project, being built by the same developer. Very good layout, (although the aesthetics don't seem to be first-rate). Aimed at young adults.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Now we're in Birmingham proper. This is 29Seven, a mixed-use project being built in a cool little district called Lakeview. You can see an article on the developer in the NYTimes here. Looking good, it gives the street a great new vibe. Looking forward to it.

image hosted on flickr

Nice little student apartment development downtown near the new Railroad Park and ballpark. Presumably for UAB students.

image hosted on flickr

Building the new Birmingham Barons ballpark. They're currently stationed in an outlying suburb but we wanted to bring them downtown to help spur growth in the area. Across the street from the new Railroad Park.

image hosted on flickr

Some warehouse next to Railroad Park. The parking lot in front of me is scheduled to be developed into some supposedly-exciting mixed-use project which will be taking up the whole block. Currently they're looking at architects for it, but it has been confirmed that it will be built.

image hosted on flickr

A recently-opened (and good!) brewery adjacent to Railroad Park. Also, sorry for not taking pictures of Railroad Park but...I just didn't think they'd be very interesting. ~10 acres. It's a finalist for an Urban Land Institute competition for best new park in the country so that's cool I guess.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cityville Block 121. Good mixed-use project right in the heart of downtown.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Liv on 5th. Same thing, essentially. About a mile away I guess.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Good little mixed-use in the same district. Actually it's surprisingly big but segmented over different lots along the block.

image hosted on flickr

New hotel across the street.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pepper Place, a renovation of ~2 very large blocks in the Lakeview District. Formerly a Dr. Pepper bottling factory and some other industrial uses. Pretty cool I guess. Not a new development but a recent renovation of a historic group of buildings. I'd like to see it go taller, though. Not enough multi-story buildings among it to give it a good urban vibe and too much damn parking.

image hosted on flickr

It may be a hip new city-dweller locale, but southern identity is still strong in Pepper Place, as shown by the organic grits served in this cafe. Good to know, local identity is vital for a city.

That wraps it up. Thanks for following along with my city's revitalization.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #269
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Likes (Received): 8

Nice pictures, I've never been to Birmingham but I always thought it was a pretty decent city.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #270
Insighter

Good job on the photos. Looks like some very attractive projects going on there.
Insighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #271
urbansouth

Took a few shots today. This is the Westin Hotel and adjoining entertainment "district" (restaurants, shops, etc.). Seems pretty cool.

image hosted on flickr

That smaller building next to it seems new but I don't know what it is.

image hosted on flickr

Impressive looking.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

With the little surrounding buildings

image hosted on flickr

From the other side, another little building.

I like having another good hotel in the area, but I must confess that I'd prefer that the adjoining buildings weren't just one-story. That's not really good for an urban area. Oh well.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #272
urbansouth

Most Exciting Dev. Rumor for Bham in a While

A comment on Jeremy Erdreich's blog (constructbirmingham.wordpress.com):
"From an inside source, the new owner is looking at the Brown Marx building for condos and is currently in design/budget phase. Not sure of the architect but the engineering is being done locally. No word on whether there will be any 1st floor commercial space (one would hope!)."

Does anyone happen to know who owns the building? I think that my mother said it's some wealthy family around Bham and that she works with one of them, but she might have been talking about a different Heaviest Corner building or maybe even Leer Tower.

As you can see, it's a massive building and its age (1903) grants it special historic status for us here. If it's true, this is the most exciting development news for Birmingham in several years!
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #273
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 195

^that's great news. of course, i remember a similar announcement 6-7 years ago. Brown-Marx is odd because it was basically doubled a few years after it was built. then it got an awful reclad/modernization in the 60s that stripped off the terra cotta and ornamentation.

Quote:
Liv on 5th.
it used to be a warehouse of some kind.

thanks for the great pics. i miss Birmingham.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #274
musiccity
Retired Mod

Been watching the Westin gradually go up, great development! Theres also been a lot of development happening around the airport.

Are some of those developments you posted in Five Points South? Love that part of Bham, lot of homeless folks though. Haven't been in that area in a while...
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #275
urbansouth

I'm not really sure what qualifies as 5-points south but tbh I don't understand any of the enthusiasm for that place. It's just a giant intersection with a bunch of 1-story and/or ugly buildings spreading out from it. If there was a cool roundabout with a statue or fountain in the middle then I would understand but really it's just a few blocks with potential that needs about half the buildings demolished or refaced and/or added onto. I hate seeing one-story buildings in an urban setting, it goes against almost everything essential for good urban form. Anyway Liv is by UAB and somewhat near 5-points. It's a good catalyst for the area but at the same time there's a massive empty industrial building across the street and next to that is a neglected parking lot. Damn shame, too, because that exact spot offers a spectacular view of the skyline. I see future development going more towards filling in the space between Liv and Cityville because it's one of the few parts of downtown where the streets aren't so incredibly wide that you feel like you're in a sea of asphalt and there aren't any of those frustratingly-retarded one-way streets in the few blocks between them. Behind that empty industrial building (which actually looks pretty cool), there's also a nice stone-paved alley so it would be a great opportunity for a developer with any sense to put some nice townhouses there and really give a kind of European vibe to the area, and I don't say that lightly.
The one-way streets in that area (and all of downtown) are really inhibiting growth and need to be changed absolutely ASAP. It would cost ~$8mil to change all the one-ways downtown but it's easily worth twice that.
There are some new businesses going into 5-points but it desperately needs a centerpiece in the intersection and new construction. If someone put in some good apartments I'd live in one.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #276
urbansouth

Also musiccity I haven't heard of any new development by the airport, but if you know of something I'd love to hear. All I know is that they were working on the airport itself.
And yes LSyd there are rumors every few years of some important historic building downtown being revamped so I always take that with a pinch of salt because good lord, Birminghammers are tired of getting their hopes up. And there are several historic buildings, like the Paramount, that just had the most awful "modernizations," it's criminal. Horrifying to think of what we lost.
I knew that Brown-Marx's cornice was removed (and now it looks so lacking), but I didn't know about the other refacing. Thanks for telling me, I always thought it looked a lot more ornate in older pictures but didn't know why.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #277
musiccity
Retired Mod

I might be getting 5 points South mixed up with the area where the Western Supermarket and the Synagogue is. I also love the drive down Red Mountain. not on 280 but on back roads.
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #278
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 195

5 points south is great, at least when i lived there and last visited 2 years ago. it has a nice fountain with sculptures. it could use a few more good shops or music venues as i heard that some of the bars/clubs closed.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #279
| BRAVO |

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
5 points south is great, at least when i lived there and last visited 2 years ago. it has a nice fountain with sculptures. it could use a few more good shops or music venues as i heard that some of the bars/clubs closed.

-

5 Points South is actually doing quite well. There was a rush of closures last year but several announcements including plans for a "World of Beer". Bhm is their 25th location.

Other developments include:
- Waffle House is expected to open late this summer in the former Johnny Rockets
- Metroprime Steakhouse opened earlier this year
- Blue Fin Sushi opened earlier this year
- Jazz Underground opened on Magnolia Ave
- the former 5 Points Music Hall is being developed into a boutique hotel

Not too much... But pretty good.

Oh yeah, dont't forget the best looking new Chick-fil-a in the country.
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #280
musiccity
Retired Mod

Waffle House lol, but glad to see things picking back up in Five Points South. Bham as a whole needs to refurbish itself. All the action is in the suburbs. I come from a long line of Birminghamians and they tell me how much the city has changed and not necessarily in a good way but hopefully things are turning around.

Last edited by musiccity; May 28th, 2012 at 04:32 AM.

Tags
alabama, birmingham