daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old May 28th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #281
| BRAVO |

Likes (Received): 0

Man... I can't think of a better place for an urban Waffle House. They are going to make a killing with the bars and clubs.

Birmingham is doing fine. Nashville and Charlotte are doing great. Atlanta has been an anomaly for 40 years... We have our issues and definitely have obstacles to overcome but we can hold our own against all other southern cities.

Sponsored Links

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #282
urbansouth

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...re-of-the.html

So, a nice building downtown (18th Street N) has received new owners and they're looking to fill it right up but keep the history intact. Here's the building:

Constructed in 1913 so a ripe old age. I wish that I could find a good shot from the corner because the side of the building is very nice-looking and gives it a good, robust character. Lots of windows overlooking a cobblestone alley, it's very Birmingham. Also I know that we in Birmingham sometimes get tired of the city overspending a little on civil rights stuff, but here I'm very glad to see that a group of black businessmen have purchased this building and intend to build add to the black community here and the city as whole with a nice urban development. Kudos to them and I hope it works out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...t-to-take.html

And here we see that 29Seven's commercial space is filling up incredibly fast! This looks good and I hope it spurs the developer to do more of the same because these kind of mixed-use builidngs are really the best way to revitalize a city and keep it thriving long-term.

Quote:
“We’re completely confident it’s going to be a catalyst for more mixed-use development in the area,” Jolly said.
One multifamily project in the area – the $35 million, 247-unit complex on Clairmont Avenue overlooking the Highland Park Golf Course’s 12th hole – could be under construction soon, according to its developers.
David Oakley, who heads the Birmingham office of multifamily firm Hendricks & Partners, said he expected the units to be 100 percent preleased by August.
The development’s walk-about concept is growing in popularity as local gas prices and employment levels rise, he said. And flat-screen televisions in every unit can’t hurt.
“The growth of that area – all that’s going on down there – is going to be a big hit, especially among the younger people,” Oakley said.
That demographic, he said, is looking to live near entertainment.
This is all good news. I had never heard of this big condo project but it sounds great. Did you guys know about it?
urbansouth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #283
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 16380

Effort To Restore The Thomas Jefferson Hotel

Quote:
The Thomas Jefferson Hotel (pictured above, corner of 17th Street North and 2nd Avenue) has yet another chance for salvation due to the formation of a non-profit dedicated to stabilizing and restoring the 1929 structure to its former glory.Thomas Jefferson Tower, Inc. plans to acquire the building, stabilize it–and then work hard to put a viable restoration plan together.

This hotel opened within months of the Great Depression, and is a symbol of the last days of heady 1920′s optimism that had engulfed Birmingham real estate. It’s height and adornment testify to the belief that the City’s growth would extend inexorably westward; the Depression put a stop to such growth, and the hotel suffered somewhat from its relative isolation (in comparison to the Tutwiler Hotel, for instance).

---

Please consider supporting this effort by signing up for the non-profit’s website, and following their twitter feed. The time is right to help make this project happen!

Chadoh25 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #284
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 4996

The building U/C by Brookwood Village Mall is complete and looks great!
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:55 AM   #285
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Changing of the guard

Regions Plaza Building to sport new signage as Viva Health takes over

Quote:
This morning the Design Review Committee approved new illuminated signage at the top of the former Region’s Plaza building (rendering above, corner of 20th Street North and 5th Avenue). The 1976 building–home to Regions Bank before mergers and consolidations emptied it in 2007–has most recently been the subject of different hotel proposals. Viva Health–a Birmingham-based HMO–is now creating its new headquarters in the building. It will reorganize the ground floor, which previously had bank and elevator lobbies, into retail tenant space, with a Viva-run coffee shop planned on 20th Street (other tenants to be announced). Slight changes were mandated to the signage presented, but it will look essentially as depicted above, on all four sides.

As we’ve recently discussed in other contexts, while it’s great that a locally-based company is helping to fill a long-vacant tower downtown–and is adding its brand to the skyline–it’s moving from a Southside location on the other side of downtown. Will its former location be quickly filled by a new occupant? Given its proximity to UAB‘s campus, chances are high that it won’t be vacant for long.
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #286
| BRAVO |

So... What all is going on around town.

- The airport addition is set to open next year
- BJCC Entertainment District opens in May with Texas de Brazil as a tenant.
- BJCC Westin opens in January
- Viva Health is moving it's headquarters downtown
- The I-65/I-22 interchange is looking sweet
- Regions Park, the new home for the Barons is coming out of the ground
- New developments around Regions Park/Railroad Park are slowly taking shape.
- The intermodal facility is supposedly at a stand-still
- World of Beer is set to open soon near Five Points
- What happened with the hotel planned in Five Points?
- Lakeview 29 Seven is progressing and Hueys 24/7 Diner has signed on as a tenant
- Grand Bohemian Hotel announced plans for a new location in the new $130 million Lane Parke Development in Mtn. Brook
- The new 2 level Target in Homewood is looking super cool
- Nordstrom Rack announced plans for Alabama's 1st store on 280 in Shelby County
- Renovations at the Galleria are progressing which includes Alabama's 1st VonMaur

What did I forget?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #287
musiccity
Retired Mod

Was in Birmingham for Thanksgiving.. didn't see too much in terms of construction. The hotel by I-20 in downtown is complete and is looking very nice!
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #288
musiccity
Retired Mod

Heard about this on the radio, not Bham but in Tuscaloosa

Mixed-Use Apartment + Retail Development breaking ground called the Lofts at City Center

Renders

Old December 9th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #289
| BRAVO |

Ew... Get that Tuscalooser stuff out of here.
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #290
| BRAVO |

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Was in Birmingham for Thanksgiving.. didn't see too much in terms of construction. The hotel by I-20 in downtown is complete and is looking very nice!
I guess you you didn't look very closely...
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #291
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
Ew... Get that Tuscalooser stuff out of here.
Hahaha Tuscaloosa sucks! I'm an Auburn fan....

But no Tuscaloosa thread so I posted here
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #292
musiccity
Retired Mod

I wish Birmingham would get a nice, new highrise in the downtown area. At least 30 floors
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #293
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 304

^YES!!!

too bad the federal reserve redevelopment tower fell through.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #294
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Regions Field

December:

image hosted on flickr

Regions Field, Birmingham (Ala.), 20 December 2012 by milanite, on Flickr

February:

image hosted on flickr

The New Regions Park by jimmywayne, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; March 30th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #295
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The Westin Birmingham is now completed

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2013...tel_to_be.html

Nov:
image hosted on flickr

Westin Hotel by bamaboy1941, on Flickr

By design:

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Birmingham—Hotel Exterior & Uptown - Rendering by Westin Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Birmingham—Pool Deck - Rendering by Westin Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr

ariesjow liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; March 30th, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #296
musiccity
Retired Mod

It's nice! I pass by it on the interstate all the time
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:58 AM   #297
musiccity
Retired Mod

In Bham,

I'm trying to convince my relatives that we should go to Railroad Park tomorrow, I've really wanted to see it since it opened but I'm never in that part of Birmingham. Also want to see the new Regions Field.

Does anyone know whats going up at the Galleria? I saw construction while going past
Old June 13th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #298
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

image hosted on flickr

BIRMINGHAM---New Regions Field (Birmingham, Al.) by bamaboy1941, on Flickr

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #299
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Trinity Medical Center to become Grandview Medical Center when it moves to U.S. 280

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama – When it moves from its Montclair Road campus to its new building on U.S. 280 in early 2016, Trinity Medical Center will be rebranded as Grandview Medical Center, hospital executives said today.

The name is a nod to the Grandview campus where the unfinished HealthSouth hospital is located, along with the corporate headquarters for Daniel Corp. and HealthSouth Corp.

[...]

The new hospital will have a significant economic impact, creating thousands of construction jobs and spinning off permanent new jobs related to other growth on the campus, said Charlie Tickle, CEO of developer Daniel Corp. Daniel Corp. bought the unfinished hospital from HealthSouth after that company’s billion-dollar accounting scandal came to light, and it sold the building and surrounding land to Trinity for $37.6 million in June. Plans call for medical office buildings, retail development and a hotel to be built on the campus. “This is big from an economic perspective,” Tickle said.

Birmingham Mayor William Bell was scheduled to speak, but was instead in Washington, D.C., to address Congress regarding the 50th anniversary of the civil rights events of 1963. In a prepared statement, Bell predicted that the hospital will have a "massive economic impact" for the city. Trinity will spend about $300 million to complete construction of the mothballed hospital. Brasfield & Gorrie and A.G. Gaston Construction will manage construction.
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #300
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Panel again rejects Pepsi 'billboard' to replace skyline's scrolling message board

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama – The Birmingham Design Review Committee this morning rejected plans to replace the lighted, scrolling message board sign atop the Two North Twentieth Building with what the committee members called a “glorified billboard” advertising Pepsi Cola.

Building owner, Harbert Realty, wants to shut down the iconic 26-foot tall, 176-foot wide lighted sign that has scrolled messages across the Birmingham skyline off and on since the 17-story building was built in the 1960s. Soft-drink giant, Pepsi, wants to pay to wrap the sign with a design that features its logo until Harbert is ready to spend up to $4 million to build a new digital replacement.

But at a meeting that, at times, grew contentious, the Design Review Committee said the sign looks too much like a billboard and has no place in the Birmingham skyline.

Tags
alabama, birmingham