SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Birmingham Picture/Info Search

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Blazer85 
#1 ·
I am thinking about taking a quicky trip to Birmingham. I have been before but havnt really seen it much in depth and I would like to know more about where to go.

What is the "hopping" area where people are out and you can walk around, sidewalk cafes maybe. The good shopping areas, unique and chain. Where is the hub of all the "whats with it at the time" suburban madness? Also natural scenery, lakes, hills, vantage points etc. Just give me the lowdown.

Also I have been looking for a site similar to sites like Urban Ohio etc, with pictures of different areas in Birmingham and maybe some current development information.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Wow... big task. Two of the bigger "nightlife" areas include 5 Points South and the Lakeview District. In these areas you can expect a number of restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs/dance halls, boutique-type shopping, etc. The most pedestrian-friendly area is probably the 5 Points-Lakeview-Highlands-Southside area so if you feel like walking around much, that's definitely the area youd want to do it. Vulcan Park is a place you'll probably want to visit. It's been renovated quite nicely and offers a great view of the city as well as history about the city itself. Lots of shopping in Birmingham... Riverchase Galleria (one of the largest malls in the south; also has the largest skylight in the western hemisphere), The Summit (a lifestyle center), Colonial Brookwood Village, Patton Creek, etc. There are many other shopping areas, but those are probably the most popular. You also might want to check out Visionland... it's our growing amusement park/water park (west of downtown). Also right next door to the amusement park is Watermark Outlet Mall which is somewhat small, but has some pretty nice stores and great prices. There's so much to address and really lots that you could potentially do, but that at least might give you a start. If you have something more specific that youre curious about, just ask. Others may be able to help with your inquiry as well.

#3 ·
some pics, look here

or look here

alternatively, i recommend downtown Homewood as a place to shop and walk around. a damned fine suburb, right next to the city, just on the "moon" side of Vulcan

my recommendations for a tour of Birmingham:

- Sloss Furnace national industrial landmark/museum (at least until Bethlehem steel works becomes a museum)
- Civil Rights museum/district
- Ensley; mainly Tuxedo Junction, downtown Ensley and looking at the TCI/US steel ruins; it looks rough, and granted, if you take the wrong turns too many times might be, but otherwise it's fine...gritty, but worth the site seeing, especially if you like jazz
- downtown (of course)
- Southside for nightlife/dining; most recommended is The Garage for a bar, off of 23rd Street and i think 11th Court south (GQ rated it as #2 bar to fly in for in the world)
- alternativey, the Blue Monkey, Dave's, Bailey's and especially Marty's in Five Points (Marty's is by the Baptist Church; it's the truly intellectual ******* bar, one really unique place.)
- if you like coffee, there's two places worth visiting; Safari Cup downtown, or Highland Coffee Company (on ground floor of my building, which is about a block from The Garage.)

Five Points is better than Lakeview b/c Lakeview's too snobby. alternativey, if you want dive rock clubs, near The Garage is Cave 9 (all ages) and The Nick (serves booze.)

suburban madness...check out the Galleria for megamall goodness, then The Summit for lifestyle trendiness, and then Brookwood for the better mix of the two.

o.k., that's all i've got for tonight.

-

#5 ·
SChristopher, all those recommendations are great, but if you like historical neighborhoods visit:

Forest Park: Take Eighth Ave South (University Blvd.) , which turns into Clairmont Avenue, very nice neoclassical and revival homes from 1910 through 1930. Visit the little Forest Park neighborhood commercial district located at 39th Street and Clairmont.

Highland Ave / Redmont:Take 20th Street South to Five Pts South, turn left onto Highland and just explore the whole area along the side of Red Mountain. Homes are from 1890s to 1930s.

Mountain Brook: Among the top twenty upper income cities in the U.S., Mountain Brook is located just South of Red Mountain. This area consists of mostly estate size homes built between 1910 to 1930 (some ranchers are located on the fringes), but this area screams "OLD MONEY - Alabama style". There are three neighborhood villages loacted in Mt. Brook: English Village - Located @ English Village Lane and Cahaba Rd; Mt. Brook Village - located @ Cahaba Rd and Montevallo Rd; Crestline Village - located @ Memory Lane and Crestline.

Homewood: Very nice commercial village, located just over Red Mountain from Birmingham. This area is famous for the 1920s California Bungalow and the "Hollywood" spanish revival homes. Just take Twentieth Street over Red Mountain from South Side Birmingham and you will travel into Homewood's commercial district - very nice.

I would start my tour of Birmingham at Vulcan Park, which is located on top of Red Mountain. There you can practically view the urban core of Birmingham and the older suburban cities such as Homewood and Mountain Brook. This is a spectacular vista of the Birmingham region. You can see for miles in all directions. Also the History of Birmingham Museum is located up there and a lot of information is provided there pertaining to things to do and see. Also, Vulcan (circa 1904) is the second largest statue in the U.S. ranked behind Ms. Liberty.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

#6 · (Edited)
Just as an aside, I believe I've heard that Al Capone had a hideaway either in or near the English Village in Mtn Brook.

And for more info on restaurants in English Village, Crestline Village, or Mtn Brook Village, just check out this link: http://www.ebirminghamal.com/print.php?a=1096

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.