daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you think of congestion pricing?
Yes, it helps pay for mass transit. 5 41.67%
Yes, it gets me past traffic. 0 0%
No, it only gets used by the rich. 3 25.00%
No, it does nothing for traffic. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:57 AM   #1
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Toll roads / lanes

I was thinking the other day about states and countries using gas tax and toll highways as a method of funding the budget for roads. I live in Washington, with no toll roads that I know of (with the exception of a few bridges between Washington and Oregon), but a relatively high gas tax. Other states have low gas taxes and high tolling on the roads, and obviously others are in between. I suppose this is the case for other nations, but I don't really keep track.

Personally, I see gas tax as the best, because it is in proportion to those who drive the most usually, with the exception of gas-guzzlers that take a lot at the pump, but may not be on the road as much as those driving small sedans. Another benefit is an incentive to drive less, or a deterrent to drive more, whereas tollways mostly just attract people to side roads.

Tell me what you think. (and why, as well)
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

Gas tax because it addresses the much bigger problem of pollution (it is more then fair to charge gas-guzzling SUV more for over consumtion of gas, you have a chocie when you buy the car) is , and its fair since every one pays the same rate and it doesnt punish people based on where they live. The gas tax should be higher in urban areas I know its like that here in Vancouver and it makes sence because if you have the option of good public transit you should use it.

You could also just buy a smart car which can go from Vancouver to San Fran on one tank which costs about $25.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Azazel
----

Likes (Received): 0

definetly gas tax. It also makes for much easier fee collection.
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

toll highways are a pain in the ass. they slow down traffic and you have to find money so that you can pay for it. just look at the coquihalla highway in BC. it's a pain in the ass. just have higher gas taxes.
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Well there is always electronic tolls.

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Azazel
----

electronic tolls still are a problem. They demand a large mechanism of detection, and sending of bills, etc.
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

Tolls cause traffic tie-ups, slow trip time, are a huge expense so not much of what is collected actually is profit, and they are a safety issue as well. And jus because you have a toll does not mean that the tax rate goes down, unfortunately - there is no maximum taxation rate.

However, the governments love them. More income (precisely because the gas tax rate does not go down beacuse you now charge a toll), it's easier to pass than a tax hike, and it is a good control feature for traffic as well. So I wouldn't expect them to go away.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #8
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1564

Tolls for me
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #9
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Tolls not gas tax i want my gas guzzlers
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #10
Renkinjutsushi
死神

Likes (Received): 3

Higher toll roads, because it keeps me from going to Manatee County through the Skyway Bridge every week and it saves me money on gas even though my car is not a gas guzzler.
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #11
Shado

Ditch Tolls all together and up Gas tax as much as necessary. A far more equitable system. Lucky enough where I am, there are only a few toll roads, more or less if I'm not going to the airport I'm pretty much safe. Though they are planning to add more. Mostly because here Gas taxes are national taxes, and it's local governments who are feeling the pressure for new roads.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #12
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda
Gas tax because it addresses the much bigger problem of pollution (it is more then fair to charge gas-guzzling SUV more for over consumtion of gas, you have a chocie when you buy the car) is , and its fair since every one pays the same rate and it doesnt punish people based on where they live. The gas tax should be higher in urban areas I know its like that here in Vancouver and it makes sence because if you have the option of good public transit you should use it.

You could also just buy a smart car which can go from Vancouver to San Fran on one tank which costs about $25.

That's my old avatar.
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18147

Toll Highways

Background
Toll highways are nothing new. However, with limited infrastructure budgets around the world, would you support tolls to fund expansion and maintenance, such as adding tolls to existing highways or building new toll highways?

N.J. considers turning free highways into private toll roads
By BETH DeFALCO
15 November 2006

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Some long and winding roads may lead to New Jersey lowering its sky-high property taxes and increasing aid to school districts.

Besides considering selling or leasing the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, Gov. Jon S. Corzine's administration on Wednesday said it wants more information on the pros and cons of converting several freeways into tollways.

Indiana has leased its northern toll road for 75 years for $3.8 billion.

Specifically, the state is looking to hire transportation consultants to study the conversion of routes 78, 80 and 95, the Pulaski Skyway and the section of Route 440 in Middlesex County between the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway to toll roads, according to a request for proposals released Wednesday.

Privatizing New Jersey roads is just one of the ideas Corzine is considering as a way to help shore up state finances and lower the state's highest-in-the-nation property tax.

"The administration will be looking into the pros and cons, the upsides and downsides and what is in the best interests of taxpayers and users of our assets," said Corzine spokesman Anthony Coley. "After all is said and done, the most favorable option for an asset could very well be to do nothing."

State Senate President Richard Codey has said money earned from transferring control of state assets such as the Turnpike or Garden State Parkway to an outside entity not only could allow the state to slash property taxes by an average of 20 percent, but also increase school funding by $1 billion.

Besides trying to figure out the value of privatizing tollways, consultants will also try to determine the impact adding new tolls would have on nearby roads.

States are allowed to set up tollways on interstate highways but must first get the approval of the Federal Highway Administration.

The Star-Ledger of Newark first reported on the plan for new tollroads in Wednesday's newspapers.

Meanwhile, New Jersey officials have been eying as examples two recent toll-road leases, one in Chicago and one in Indiana, both of which leased roadways to a Spanish-Australian consortium.

Chicago will get $1.83 billion for a 99-year lease.

Under the Indiana agreement, the consortium can begin raising tolls annually either by 2 percent, the rate of inflation or increase in gross domestic product, beginning in 2010. Most of the lease money will be used to help finance hundreds of highway and other transportation projects, according to Indiana officials.

However, some New Jersey lawmakers question the benefits of letting a private company run some of the busiest roads in America.

"I am not convinced that there is support for the sale or lease of the toll roads to a for-profit private company," said Assemblyman John Wisniewski, chairman of the Assembly Transportation and Public Works Committee.

Wisniewski said he doubts a private company can make enough money off a toll road lease without increasing tolls. Otherwise, he said, the state would be making billions off toll roads already.

"If we want more to come out of the road," he said, "we have to put more into the road."

------

Associated Press Writer Tom Hester Jr. contributed to this report.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #14
alvse

Likes (Received): 490

I'm kinda glad that Perth's freeways & highways are toll free. For what I've seen of europes tollways, they take up alot of space, and unless you have one of those electronic toll cards, you could be queing up to get through. Again, thank goodness we don't have them.
alvse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #15
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

In The Netherlands, driving is very expensive. Our tax-rates are high, up to over a thousand euro's a year for a normal diesel-fueled car. Our taxes on gas are among the highest of Europe. When you buy a new car, you have to pay 45% of the price EXTRA to the government, and of course, VAT.

But they are voting for a new way of paying for our road system, mileage-paying , electronically. This will cost the average commuter some 100 - 300 euro's EXTRA each month.

But tolling here is bullshit anyway, the government gains 20 billion euro's each year from automobile-owners, and spend only 2,7 billion of those 20 billion to the road system. No wonder why our country is among the worst in traffic congestion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Volonski
Arthur

Likes (Received): 2

best e-tolls

Which country has the best e-toll system in place? All Melbourne (Australia)freeways and motorways have e-tolls. There are no ‘cash boots’. Sydney is following the steps…
Volonski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #17
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

The tollways of Texas all have electronic tolling. We've got the best of both worlds, you can drive through with your TxTag or if you are using a rental or a car that doesn't have one you can still pay with cash.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #18
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

The German truck toll.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #19
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Likes (Received): 12

In greece e-pass tolls have been introduced the last years, there is a state company that is converting the classic tolls to e-pass tolls, but not all the highway network has e-pass tolls.
And there is an issue of some highways that are controlled of private companies, there is e-pass there but u have to use another system to pass those tolls.

Teo-pass:http://www.teo.org.gr/MainFrame.asp?page=TEO_PASS.htm
Attiki odos:http://www.aodos.gr/homepageattiki.asp?catid=4466
Rion-antirion bridge:http://www.gefyra.gr/Tolls.asp?P=4&lang=EN
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #20
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
The tollways of Texas all have electronic tolling. We've got the best of both worlds, you can drive through with your TxTag or if you are using a rental or a car that doesn't have one you can still pay with cash.
Are the TX tags just bar coded stickers? I've seen pictures but never clear enough to tell what it is I'm looking at.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote