daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you think of congestion pricing?
Yes, it helps pay for mass transit. 5 41.67%
Yes, it gets me past traffic. 0 0%
No, it only gets used by the rich. 3 25.00%
No, it does nothing for traffic. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #181
Virginia Lover

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
You're kiddin'

In the USA I've only paid toll for the Big Dig so far. In Alaska I haven't encountered any toll booth so far
Alaska doesn't have enough people for toll roads to work. And it pays for its highways and roads with oil from Prudhoe Bay.

But the rest of America does. My state (Virginia) has tolls. There are different approaches to tolls. On the capital beltway, which circles around Washington D.C., High Occupancy Toll Lanes are currently being built. HOT lanes require single-occupant vehicles to pay a toll that varies based on demand, called congestion pricing. The tolls change throughout the day according to real-time traffic conditions to manage the number of cars in the lanes and keep them free of congestion, even during rush hour. On these HOT lanes, you may also ride in them for free if your vehicle contains three or more persons.

Virginia also has High-occupancy vehicle lanes. These alleviate congestion for those who carpool, or travel with two or more people. Only cars with two or more people are allowed in them, and there is no fee.

Virginia also has normal toll lanes, one of which is the Dulles Toll Rd., which people pay a fee with an E-ZPass. Dulles Toll Rd. takes you to Washington Dulles International Airport. Most states in the Northeast use the E-ZPass, which allows you to ride at near-highway speeds through a gate, where the fee is paid electronically by a wireless device you hold up on your winshield.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #182
Virginia Lover

How is Alaska, Timon Kruijk? Where in Alaska are you?
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #183
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

There is no national toll road system in the US. Some states have them, and others don't. I live in a state that doesn't (Connecticut). However, we border states that do, so it's unavoidable if you want to get to certain areas.

Pretty much all the states in the Northeast with tolls (which is pretty much ALL except Vermont and CT) use EZ-PASS, an electronic tolling system.

I don't know all that much about it because I don't need one here. But from what I've seen, it reads your transponder on your car when you pass a gate so you just drive by the toll gate instead of stopping. I think you get a bill later and you get reduced rates. Don't know really.

Here's a picture of how it works:

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #184
Virginia Lover

Didn't I just say that?
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #185
§A8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
Melbourne uses electronic tolling through either a transponder in your car or by your registration plates. It's fully automated and there are no toll booths anywhere. You still have to buy a pass if you don't have an account, otherwise an invoice comes in the mail with a much higher price to pay.
you can pay at certain gas stations before you use the tollways. That way you won't get charged admin fees and other shit. Just the toll.
§A8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #186
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
In Italy: closed system, take the ticket upon entering and pay on your way out. Manned booths if you haven't got the right change or cards. Automatic booths for pre-paid cards, ATM and credit cards. Some short stretches feature the french style, money basket since it's a fixed price. Most everywhere for frequent travelers, radio transponders -aka Telepass - and the cost will be debited on your bank account/credit card. You just have to slow down to 70/80 km/h and the gate will open for you in and out. Fast and efficient. Becoming popular among regular citizens, not just company cars and trucks.
Officially, the limit is 30 km/h, because these gates have barriers and higher speeds are dangerous...if the barrier doesn't work.

In Switzerland motorways can be used with a vignette. It costs 40 CHF/40 USD/25 EUR for a year. There are no cheaper versions for shorter periods.

There are others tolled roads, the Great St Bernard and Munt la Schera tunnels and the 7+1 train shuttles. For these services you pay between 20 and 60 CHF. For some of these train shuttles there is no road alternative, or the alternative road is closed during winter. There is usually a shuttle train every 30-60 minutes.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

How much road tax does a Swiss driver pay? The vignette alone is pretty cheap for a whole year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #188
Hezery99

Likes (Received): 134

Malaysia uses three modes of toll payment - cash, Touch n Go and Smart Tag. Touch n Go is an electronic payment system where you need to tap a Touch n Go card at the card reader at the entry toll booth and exit toll booth. The card has a stored prepaid value and can be topped up.

Meanwhile, Smart Tag is essentially an electonic tag system that uses a Touch n Go card inside the electonic tag. Since it uses a Touch n Go card, Smart Tag users may need to remove their Touch n Go card and tap it manually at toll booths without Smart Tag lanes.

There are 2 tolling system used in Malaysian expressways - open system and closed system. For the open system, drivers need to pay fixed amount of toll at the toll booth. For the closed system, drivers take their toll tickets at entry toll booths and pay the amount of toll at exit toll booths. The toll is based on the distance.
Hezery99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #189
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
It's completely automated.. Basically your license plate is recorded upon entering, and then exiting, and you're billed in the mail.
This system is being used in Norway as well. Still, toll booths are found all over the country, and any driver will face them, some time or another.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #190
Virginia Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Lover View Post
Alaska doesn't have enough people for toll roads to work. And it pays for its highways and roads with oil from Prudhoe Bay.

But the rest of America does. My state (Virginia) has tolls. There are different approaches to tolls. On the capital beltway, which circles around Washington D.C., High Occupancy Toll Lanes are currently being built. HOT lanes require single-occupant vehicles to pay a toll that varies based on demand, called congestion pricing. The tolls change throughout the day according to real-time traffic conditions to manage the number of cars in the lanes and keep them free of congestion, even during rush hour. On these HOT lanes, you may also ride in them for free if your vehicle contains three or more persons.

Virginia also has High-occupancy vehicle lanes. These alleviate congestion for those who carpool, or travel with two or more people. Only cars with two or more people are allowed in them, and there is no fee.

Virginia also has normal toll lanes, one of which is the Dulles Toll Rd., which people pay a fee with an E-ZPass. Dulles Toll Rd. takes you to Washington Dulles International Airport. Most states in the Northeast use the E-ZPass, which allows you to ride at near-highway speeds through a gate, where the fee is paid electronically by a wireless device you hold up on your winshield.
How are your country's toll lanes? Are there many different approaches to tolling?
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #191
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
How is Alaska, Timon Kruijk? Where in Alaska are you?
Beautiful. I really like it. I was very lucky to see Mt. McKinley. I started in Anchorage and drove north to Denali. Then to Fairbanks, where I am now. Tomorrow I leave for Valdez and then the day after the day after tomorrow I drive back to Anchorage.
And of course there are no tolls over here. The busiest road of the state, the George Parks highway (Anchorage-Fairbanks) is almost completely empty.
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #192
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo;23736176[B
]Officially, the limit is 30 km/h,[/B] because these gates have barriers and higher speeds are dangerous...if the barrier doesn't work.
Hot damn!
Busted....
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #193
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Didn't I just say that?
Yeah, but you were talking about it from your perspective in Virginia.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #194
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Ticket on entry and pay on exit or electronic(optional, you dont have to stop but you need a box on the windscreen. This only is for motorways.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #195
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

It's just for the Otoyol network in Turkey except recently built roads(Bursa Beltway, G.Antep-Ş.Urfa).

In Istanbul bridges, cash zones are lifted. Only for automatic card systems.
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #196
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

In the Bay Area, we have several bridges which are all tolled. Otherwise I've never come across a toll road.

For us, we register for a system called FastTrak. It charges either through the transponder or your license plate. If you drive one of your cars through, and it's not registered, they send you a ticket for $25, but allows you for the option to register that car. Once registered, the ticket is waived, and you'll get charged automatically.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #197
Longershanks

Likes (Received): 2

Do HOT lanes work in urban areas?

There is a growing use of HOT lanes in sub-urban areas and commuter belts but is there any evidence that the HOT lane principle works in crowded urban areas?
Longershanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

HOT = High Occupancy Toll right? Does it mean you can also use the lane when you're alone, and want to pay toll in order to keep moving, or do you really need to have more than 2 people on board?

Given the fact that HOV-lanes pop up everywhere (they're especially keen on them in California), I got a hunch it might work.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #199
Longershanks

Likes (Received): 2

yes essentially high occupancy lane with the excess capacity 'sold' via a variable toll system to ensure the HO traffic keeps moving ata minimum speed.
Longershanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #200
diegodbs

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
HOT = High Occupancy Toll right? Does it mean you can also use the lane when you're alone, and want to pay toll in order to keep moving, or do you really need to have more than 2 people on board?

Given the fact that HOV-lanes pop up everywhere (they're especially keen on them in California), I got a hunch it might work.
In Madrid you don't pay any kind of toll for using the HOT lane, if there are less than 2 people on board you just can't use it or else you'll be fined.

Not many km of HOT lanes in Madrid though, only 16 km along the A-6 highway, it has been working since 1994.

HOT lane in Spanish: BUS-VAO lane (autobús-Vehículos de Alta Ocupación)
diegodbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote