daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you think of congestion pricing?
Yes, it helps pay for mass transit. 5 41.67%
Yes, it gets me past traffic. 0 0%
No, it only gets used by the rich. 3 25.00%
No, it does nothing for traffic. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #41
Elmo

Likes (Received): 11

Only one tunnel in The Netherlands is tolled. The rest of the highways are free for everybody to use as much as they want. (We do pay a fixed amount of roadtaxes every month. The height of it is depending on the weight of your car and which fuel you use.)

In the future we have to pay per kilometer, but then the roadtax will be abolished.
Elmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #42
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy81 View Post
I'm not sure if it's a new thing on the 407, but my car was registered for Alberta when I lived there 3 years ago. I drove on the 407 numerous of times with the Alberta Plate and never got a bill in the mail. I heard that it was free if your licence plate is not Ontario....But like I said, I'm not sure if they changed the rules.

Oh and by the way, the 407 is usually less busy compared to the 401, so it's a good alternative, but that was 3-5 years ago when I lived there. It's probably just as busy as the 401 now.

Jimmy
Anyone in Canada or the US who uses the 407 will get billed, I believe it's always been like this too. I guess you got lucky.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #43
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

The benefit of Melbourne's electronic tolling system (and Sydney's and Brisbane's) is that the transponder is compatible with the systems used in other Australian cities so if you take your car up to Sydney for example, you can still pay tolls from the same account.

Melbourne's CityLink and the 407 are using practically an identical system.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #44
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpanatomy View Post
You sound just like a typical American!!!

hahaha...

407ETR is an all electronic toll highway, nobody is there to accept tolls from drivers. If you don't have a transponder, it will take a picture of your entry & exit point, and image will be send to 407ETR central office, where computerized OCR technology will read your plate, and calculate the distance travelled.

The "overhead toll sensor" is placed on every highway on/off ramp, for the width of the highway, slowing down is not necessary since it doesn't have a "dedicated lane" that if you travel too fast, you'll hit the side. To proof this, I once travelled 170km/h (and who cares about miles) with my 407ETR transponder, thru the junction of QEW/407, where the width of the overhead sensor is mount across all lanes of the highway, and it still beeps perfectly.

Can your "best" TxTag do this? Oh I'm sorry, your world is inside Texas only, so everything Texas size is the best thing in the world.
The Westpark Tollway in Houston is exactly like you describe. TxTag works on those as well as the Houston-area EZTag.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:03 AM   #45
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Map of untolled/ tolled motorways in europe

Can someone make a map of tolled/untolled maps of europe, woul be interesting to see hwo few countries don´t have tolled motorways. Germany and Bulgaria have untolled motorways.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM   #46
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

untolled: Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany (except LKW), Denmark, Sweden, Norway (if that are motorways :rolleyes, Finland.
Vignettes: Austria, Slovakia, Czech R., Hungary, Switzerland, Romania.
Spain and France have some amount of untolled motorways. Poland, too, i think

UK have only one tolled, i think M5.

of course, there are a plenty of tolled objects (tunnels, bridges, passes) in "untolled" countries
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Trucks in Germany have to pay tolls. And in Bulgaria you need a road vignette, so that's a kind of tolls too.

Almost every country has some tolled roads/bridges/tunnels, but a lot of countries have tolled motorways for most of it's length.

Let's make a list:
Albania: No tolled roads as far as i know. There aren't many paved roads at all.
Andorra: No tolls in this mountainous country.
Armenia: No tolls as far as i know. It's a discussion whether this country is in Europe anyway.
Austria: A toll vignette for the motorways, but some tunnels, passes and mountain roads requires extra tolls.
Azerbaijan: No tolls as far as i know.
Belarus: I heard the M1 is tolled.
Belgium: Tolls are still in debate. No tolls so far, except for the R2 tunnel in Antwerp.
Bosnia and Herzegovina: No tolls as far as i know
Bulgaria: A toll vignette is required for the entire road network.
Croatia: tolled motorways
Cyprus: No tolls as far as i know
Czech Republic: Toll vignette for most Dalnice's and some Expressways (R-roads).
Denmark: No general tolls, but there are some expensive bridges across the archipelago.
Estonia: No tolls as far as i know
Finland: No tolls
[b]France:[/b Most motorways are tolled, except near border regions and near larger cities.
Georgia: No tolls on this poorly developed road network as far as i am concerned.
Germany: No general tolls for automobile's, but there is a toll system for trucks
Greece: Motorways are generally tolled
Hungary: Needs a vignette, but some roads are tolled.
Iceland: No tolls
Ireland: Some motorways parts are tolled
Italy: Most motorways are tolled, except in the far south.
Kazakhstan: No tolls, a better road network is in development.
Latvia: No tolls as far as i know
Liechtenstein: No tolls
Lithuania: No Tolls
Luxembourg No tolls
Malta: No tolls
Moldova: No tolls, not very much of a road network either
Monaco: No tolls in this city-state
Netherlands: No tolls, except some tunnels in the Southwest.
Norway: Tolls around larger cities. Also tollbridges and tunnels.
Poland: Some motorways are tolled
Portugal: Most motorways are tolled
Republic of Macedonia: unknown
Romania: General toll vignette for entire road network like Bulgaria
Russia: Some motorways tolled
San Marino: No tolls
Serbia: Tolled on Motorways
Slovakia: Toll vignette required for the expressways and motorways
Slovenia: Tolls required on motorways
Spain: Tolls required on Autopista's. The larger network of Autovia's are toll-free.
Sweden: No general tolls
Switzerland: Tolls required via a vignette
Turkey: Tolls required on Otoyols (Motorways)
Ukraine: No tolls
United Kingdom: Tolls required on some bridges and the M6Toll bypass of Birmingham
Vatican City: No Tolls required.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM   #48
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Please post comments/addings on this list. I'm not sure about every country.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:35 AM   #49
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

As far as i remember Macedonia has tolled motorways, yeah, Bulgaria has general toll for roads but as far as i know you once pay the vignetee and can use the network as long as ou want and tax is low.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #50
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

I think that your coment about France: "except near border regions and near larger cities" is appliable to all/nearlly all the other countries with tolled motorways.

There's also a somewhat extensive motorway network (not autoroutes, but up to motorway standards) in France, including many in Bretagne and some in oher parts of France(the best routes express... this can be checked on viamichelin).

Speaking about Portugal, there is a not so small portion of the motorway network that's toll free, although the majority is tolled.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #51
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Macedonia has frequent toll booths, like most of the Slovenian motorways. And Armenia is in Asia. :P Actually Cyprus and Malta aren't European either. But leave them, as I can already imagine a hot discussion..
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What many people don't know, is that Kazakhstan is partially in Europe. The river Ural is the border south of the Ural mountains, so it leaves a part of the size of the Benelux of Kazakhstan in Europe.

For the three Caucasian countries; my opinion is that the Caucasus mountain range is the border, but i can imagine historically these countries belong to Europe.
The list is taken from wikipedia, so i guess it's okay.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #53
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i have adding for:
Hungary: all motorways are now under vignette system and there are no more extra tolled sections or objects. M5 used to be extra tolled untill 3-4 years ago, but it is under vignette system now, too.
Croatia: all motorways (except Zagreb bypass) are tolled and there are some tolled objects (bridge Krk, viaduct Mirna, tunnel Učka).
France: there are untolled motorways (except bypasses), for instance A28 or A20)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #54
Stifler
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Spain: Tolls required on Autopista's. The larger network of Autovia's are toll-free.
I just want to add that around 23% of the motorways are tolled and every year the percentage decreases fortunately.

Really interesting thread BTW.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #55
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove the A2 from Lleida to Barcelona and the AP-2 from Lleida to Barcelona. The first one was very busy with narrow shoulders, and a lot of exits. The AP-2 was nearly empty and sometimes 3 lanes per direction on climbs. But the last one requires toll.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM   #56
Stifler
That's what she said

You are right. A2 was built upgrading the old N-II, so its quality is far lower than AP-2. In general, the quality of first generation autovías (A1...6) is not good for current standars so there's a plan in process to renovate them.

Anyway, in general Spaniards are averse to pay tolls unless it's strictly necessary. The proof are the new radial tolled Autopistas near Madrid which are most of the time empty.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM   #57
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I guess the A2 to Guadalajara is much busier than the R2?

Are there still large tollroad construction projects? I thought the AP-7 and AP-36 are just finished. Another large project - the A23, is tollfree.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #58
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
I drove the A2 from Lleida to Barcelona and the AP-2 from Lleida to Barcelona. The first one was very busy with narrow shoulders, and a lot of exits. The AP-2 was nearly empty and sometimes 3 lanes per direction on climbs. But the last one requires toll.

Regarding the shoulder, both autopistas and autovias have the same exterior shoulder width(2.5m), which is narrow, compared to what's generally used in other countries.

Quote:
I guess the A2 to Guadalajara is much busier than the R2?
Certainly! The A-2 is going to be enlarged to 2x3 (plus sideroads in many parts) all teh way till Guadalajara. But still, radial toll motorways (R-2 to R-5) are starting to become profitable, and I'm sure they will be even more and more with the coming years. An R-1 is already planned.

Quote:
Are there still large tollroad construction projects? I thought the AP-7 and AP-36 are just finished. Another large project - the A23, is tollfree.

As for tolled motorway, from the top of my head I can tell you about the AP-1 between Victoria and the A-8 which is under construction and the AP-45 (I think that's the right number) between Antequera (Puerto de las Pedrizas, to be more precise) and Malaga, which is about to start construction, and will relieve the A-45.

Also, there will beh the AP-41 between Toledo and Cordoba, but that's still undecided... It's not even sure if it's going to be built, and if it will have tolls or not...
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #59
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 1

In Norway some motorways are tolled.

The E6 has a toll plaza about 60 kms south of Oslo and the E18 has one about 100 kms south of Oslo.

Most new Motorways they build will be tolled.
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #60
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:

Chris, do you happen to have some photos of the A-2?
I've never been on that part of the A-2, and I would like to see some photo's if you have any.