daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you think of congestion pricing?
Yes, it helps pay for mass transit. 5 41.67%
Yes, it gets me past traffic. 0 0%
No, it only gets used by the rich. 3 25.00%
No, it does nothing for traffic. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #141
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
How can you pay on that last pic if you don't have a tolltag? Is that the Sam Houston Tollway (Route 8, beltway of Houston)
The one right above it shows the plaza- there is a regular booth to the right. That's in Dallas, I'm sure, the transponder would be called an E-Z Tag on Beltway 8, not a TollTag like they do in Dallas.

The second picture is on the Sam Houston Tollway, however, and the first one is Highway 130 in Austin, I believe.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #142
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2613

Electronic toll collection

Since I'm in Manila right now, the city's highways have electronic toll collections such as the E-Pass for the SLEX

How about in your city/country's highways?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #143
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1009

e-TAG
Was first used for the Citylink tollway in Melbourne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityLink
But also works for the few other toll roads around Australia.

Will be used on the new Eastlink project which is almost complete in Melbournes outer east.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EastLink%2C_Melbourne
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #144
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18131

Here are some other threads in this section on toll roads and e-tolls :

Toll Highways
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=427077

Toll Roads & Toll Gates
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=579306

Map of untolled/ tolled motorways in europe
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=493787

best e-tolls
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=446534

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #145
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hwy. 407 slashes tolls for big rigs
But even large discounts unlikely to lure some truckers

The Canadian Press
5 July 2006
The Hamilton Spectator

TORONTO

Trucking firms whose big rigs frequently ply Canada's first pay-as-you-go highway will now see their Highway 407 tolls slashed by as much as half if they use it during off-peak hours, the road's owner and operator said yesterday.

The discount program is designed to help ease the increasing rush-hour congestion on the 108-kilometre highway, while drawing more traffic from the jam-packed Highway 401.

"During peak hours we are experiencing congestion," said Dale Albers, a spokesperson for 407 ETR, the company that owns the highway.

"(This) will help lighten the load during the peak and encourage truckers and other companies to use it during off-peak hours."

The incentive is part of a settlement reached in March that ended a series of bitter disputes between the company and the Ontario government over toll increases and other issues.

Car drivers will have to wait at least few more months for a similar break on tolls that was also agreed to in the settlement.

For truckers, however, the savings are immediate -- and potentially substantial. A typical 18-wheeler using the obligatory transponder pays 48.75 cents a kilometre during peak hours.

Until now, the discount for driving outside of rush hours -- between 6 and 10 a.m. and from 3 to 7 p.m. on weekdays -- amounted to just two cents.

That discount now increases to as much as 23 cents a kilometre for driving at night and on weekends and 12 cents for usage at other off-peak times.

The highway operator says 300 trucking companies already qualify for the maximum discount, but estimates tens of thousands of trucks could see some form of savings.

But even the hefty discount won't lure some truckers onto the highway.

"It's just cost-prohibitive for us -- that's a significant chunk of our revenue based on a per-kilometre basis," said Brent Byers, vice-president of APPS Transport Group that operates about 60 trucks out of Brampton.

"And in particular on the off-hours is when you really aren't inclined to use it, because the rest of the roads aren't congested, so why would you pay?"

There are some rules for companies to qualify for the maximum saving.

They have to pay their bills within 60 days, trucks must have the transponder and drive more than 600 kilometres per month on the highway.

Under the terms of the contract with the province, toll levels on the 407 are linked to traffic reductions on the jam-packed Highway 401.

The breaks on the tolls "will certainly help that," said Albers.

In 1999, the former Conservative government of then-premier Mike Harris sold a 99-year lease to the private consortium to run the 407 as Canada's first private toll road.

The tolls have skyrocketed since and the company and province were inundated with public complaints about incorrect billing and heavy-handed collection tactics.

The Liberal government sued over the toll increases but lost, leading to the settlement.

To alleviate congestion, 407 ETR is also spending $100 million to add lanes to a 100-kilometre stretch of the road above Toronto.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #146
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Province rules out suggested tolls on highways around Toronto
21 February 2008
The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Ontario Transportation Minister Jim Bradley has dismissed a suggestion from a blue-ribbon panel that the province implement road tolls on 400 series highways in the Toronto area.

``Our government has said _ repeatedly _ it will not be placing tolls on existing 400-series highways,'' Bradley said Thursday.

``Road pricing'' is among the tough choices facing the region, according to the panel appointed by mayor David Miller to review the city's financial situation.

It says tolling the Gardiner Expressway, Don Valley Parkway and other highways around Toronto could raise $700 million to improve transit in the region.

``The idea is to take a ring road around the city and put it in a single entity that you can (turn into) a toll highway that is your entrance to the city,'' said panel member Larry Tanenbaum.

``It needs to be seriously considered by all levels of government,'' fellow panellist Paul Massara said.

Even so, the province must approve any changes relating to highways, Bradley said.

``They were built originally without tolls on them; they were built on that condition,'' he said of the 400 highways, 407 being the sole exception.

Old May 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #147
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

My state in the US, Connecticut, does not have toll highways. In fact, it is the only state in the East Coast not to have them. Tolls have a bad experience here since there was two accidents that killed people that had to deal with toll booths.

A consequence of that is that we have a higher fuel tax than most of our neighbors. Gas prices are usually 25-30 cents higher here than in Mass or RI. And they get to drive in our roads free while we have to pay for ours. How's that?

I suppose that I would support a toll system to lower the dependence on fuel taxes that CT has for funding, however the problem with the barriers is that they encourage more congestion. The state needs to look at electronic tolling alternatives. But at the current issue, this rests on the plans of our neighbors.

The closest toll roads to Connecticut are:

Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90), which is mostly toll-free, but there are barriers. It's pretty close to the CT border.

The toll bridges of NYC, which cost $4.50-6 (depends on the bridge and what direction you go)

This is the Whitestone Bridge (I-678), which costs $4.50

New York Thruway. This is I-90 near Albany

New Jersey Turnpike: I-95 before it meets I-80

All pics from aaroads.com
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #148
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
A consequence of that is that we have a higher fuel tax than most of our neighbors. Gas prices are usually 25-30 cents higher here than in Mass or RI. And they get to drive in our roads free while we have to pay for ours. How's that?
You think those are big differences? Differences in fuel prices are much bigger here. E.g. in Luxembourg the gas is currently almost €0,40/l cheaper as in Holland!
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #149
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Hwy. 407 slashes tolls for big rigs
But even large discounts unlikely to lure some truckers

The Canadian Press
5 July 2006
The Hamilton Spectator
<snip>
That's a damn good idea. They should do that for trucks on our new Texas 45 and Texas 130 tollways here in the Austin area. That would really take more trucks off of Interstate 35.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

That's $ 2.4 per gallon
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #151
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I love the fact that Sweden has pretty much no toll roads (other than the two bridges to Denmark and Norway). Sure they might get roads built faster, but then having to pay tons of money everyday to drive on a road is a lot worse than having a slightly slower road while the motorway gets slowly built. We've managed a pretty good motorway system here in sweden even without tolls, but of course it'd be better with tolls...but I prefer it this way. (But of course this does not always hold...just look at Norway: lots of tolls but like 200km total of motorways, heh.)
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

All roads are toll roads, however, you'll pay for them differently, like via all kinds of taxes. Tax em to death! seems to be the motto of our government.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #153
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Thank god there are no such things here in Bulgaria!
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #154
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

In Normandy, ( Le Havre ) You have to pay €6,50 to cross this bridge.. I've been there last year.. Nice bridge
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #155
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

From this point of view it seems very steep.
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #156
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
Thank god there are no such things here in Bulgaria!
How not, when you have to pay for driving on Bulgarian roads?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #157
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
How not, when you have to pay for driving on Bulgarian roads?
i guess it's only for foreigners
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #158
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
From this point of view it seems very steep.
When the Tour de France went over the bridge a few years ago it was a 2nd category climb.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #159
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Do you have a side view of that bridge? I'd love to see one.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #160
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
You think those are big differences? Differences in fuel prices are much bigger here. E.g. in Luxembourg the gas is currently almost €0,40/l cheaper as in Holland!
Then again, I live in the US.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote