daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you think of congestion pricing?
Yes, it helps pay for mass transit. 5 41.67%
Yes, it gets me past traffic. 0 0%
No, it only gets used by the rich. 3 25.00%
No, it does nothing for traffic. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #161
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassoborseli View Post
I decided to open a new thread about toll roads and toll gates.

Post your pics of toll gates!
Post news of new and old toll roads!
Which payement systems do you have in your country?

Let's start with some pictures from France.

A40 near The Mont Blanc:

A10 in France:
One huge toll plaza! Feels more like a border crossing.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #162
swaugh3

Does anyone have pictures of Florida toll highways and plazas?
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #163
swaugh3

Does anyone have pictures, maps, or any info about Jamaica's Highway 2000?
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #164
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Atlanta's GA 400 and its one and only toll plaza:

Looks like a toll shack compared to some of the ones in this thread - it's prettier at night
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlanta...e84/715649741/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/tegllc/483667212/

Georgia Cruise Lanes (electronic cruise card attached to the windshield)
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautif...ine/487404239/
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #165
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Your country's tolling system

I think it's nice to make an overview of the tolling system used in various countries, especially on motorways/freeways, and how they work.

By tolling system, I mean something like vignettes, toll plaza's or electronic tolling, and not gas taxes/car taxes.

Let's start with The Netherlands

As of 2008, there is no general tolling system, only a few tunnels require toll, like the Kiltunnel near Dordrecht on the N217 and the Westerscheldetunnel on the N62. The motorways remain untolled as of 2008, however there are long-term plans to implement an electronic tolling, no earlier than 2011 for trucks, and later for cars. However, there are a lot of obstacles that need to be taken, and support is diminishing due to high implementing costs and reduced purchasing power for commuters.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #166
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

^I didn't know we had toll parts in The Netherlands.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #167
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

"Virtual" vignette here,for pre-set time intervals. By virtual, I mean that you dont actually receive a vignette,you just pay for it and then get the bill. Cameras and vehicles with cameras check it,or more precisely,your licence plate,if its registered in the database or not. Electronic payment for trucks is being prepared,it will be like the austrian system.

Additionally,trucks are to have this "vignette" on some non-motorway/expressway roads as well.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #168
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Vignette. That's for vehicles under 3.5 t, for others, toll booths are still in use.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #169
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

in Croatia: classic old fashioned mediteranean styled toll-booths.most of the motorways have closed system (ticket at entrance, paying at exit), but there are some sections with open tolling system (just paying without ticket) - those are A3 Zagreb - Bregana, A7 Rijeka - Rupa, D102 bridge Krk (you pay only for one direction, opposite is free), B8 tunnel Učka and B9 viaduct Mirna
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #170
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

It's toll plazas in South Africa. Here's a map showing where they are, for anyone interested (PDF warning).
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #171
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

In Slovakia we use vignettes. There are available 1 week, 1 month and 1 year vignettes for all vehicles. For vehicles over 3.5 there are also 1 day vignettes. Prices depend on weight of the vehicle. For example 1 year vignette for car under 3.5 t costs € 36.51; 1 year vignette for a truck over 12 t costs € 929.43.

We are going to introduce electronic toll system for vehicles over 3.5 t next year. But, the project is delayed so it won't start on January 1st 2009 what was the original plan. Prices will be from € 0.06 to € 0.20 per kilometre. Together there will be tolled 1,900 km of roads.

Map of the tolled sections:

• Red or pink or what's that colour is tolled for all vehicles.
  • Green is tolled for vehicles over 3.5 t only.
  • Sections which go through built-up area are for free.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #172
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

In Italy: closed system, take the ticket upon entering and pay on your way out. Manned booths if you haven't got the right change or cards. Automatic booths for pre-paid cards, ATM and credit cards. Some short stretches feature the french style, money basket since it's a fixed price. Most everywhere for frequent travelers, radio transponders -aka Telepass - and the cost will be debited on your bank account/credit card. You just have to slow down to 70/80 km/h and the gate will open for you in and out. Fast and efficient. Becoming popular among regular citizens, not just company cars and trucks.
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #173
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1556

The UK only has one toll motorway, the M6 Toll Relief Road in Birmingham. It was completed in 2003 purely as an alternative for drivers to the very busy M6 through Birmingham.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia:

Other than the M6 toll, only certain bridges and tunnels are tolled.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #174
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Ontario has one privately owned highway, and that is Highway 407 which serves a relief road to the free 401. (it has quite the high toll though)

It's completely automated.. Basically your license plate is recorded upon entering, and then exiting, and you're billed in the mail.

You have the option of having a transponder (which is affixed to your windshield from the inside) and then would be automatically billed. Frequent users have one of these.

And here is a 'tool booth'
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
It's completely automated.. Basically your license plate is recorded upon entering, and then exiting, and you're billed in the mail.
I like that system. It's the cheapest possible way to recieve tolls I think. All you have to do is installing some traffic camera's and sponsor the local mailman. It could be fully automatic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #176
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I like that system. It's the cheapest possible way to recieve tolls I think. All you have to do is installing some traffic camera's and sponsor the local mailman. It could be fully automatic.
Haven't we had this discussion before?

Anyway, Israel's Road 6, which is our only toll road, has the same system.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #177
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Melbourne uses electronic tolling through either a transponder in your car or by your registration plates. It's fully automated and there are no toll booths anywhere. You still have to buy a pass if you don't have an account, otherwise an invoice comes in the mail with a much higher price to pay.

Different systems are run by the two different companies operating tolled roads but they're fully compatible - you don't have to do anything to travel on another toll road anywhere in Australia.

The difference is that Brisbane and Sydney, which use toll booths, don't necessarily let you pass under a toll gantry at full speed like in Melbourne.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #178
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I think it's nice to make an overview of the tolling system used in various countries, especially on motorways/freeways, and how they work.

By tolling system, I mean something like vignettes, toll plaza's or electronic tolling, and not gas taxes/car taxes.

Let's start with The Netherlands

As of 2008, there is no general tolling system, only a few tunnels require toll, like the Kiltunnel near Dordrecht on the N217 and the Westerscheldetunnel on the N62. The motorways remain untolled as of 2008, however there are long-term plans to implement an electronic tolling, no earlier than 2011 for trucks, and later for cars. However, there are a lot of obstacles that need to be taken, and support is diminishing due to high implementing costs and reduced purchasing power for commuters.
Actually, There is 1 more spot in the Netherlands where you have to pay toll, that is at the bridge in the tiny place "Nieuwerbrug" (which means "New Bridge").

This is a picture made in January this yeat: Although there were signs indicating that the toll would resume on the 1st of January 2008 after a toll-free period, I didn't have to pay anything:

Furthermore: The toll-station on the Welsh M4:

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #179
Il_Milanese

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
In Italy: closed system, take the ticket upon entering and pay on your way out. Manned booths if you haven't got the right change or cards. Automatic booths for pre-paid cards, ATM and credit cards. Some short stretches feature the french style, money basket since it's a fixed price. Most everywhere for frequent travelers, radio transponders -aka Telepass - and the cost will be debited on your bank account/credit card. You just have to slow down to 70/80 km/h and the gate will open for you in and out. Fast and efficient. Becoming popular among regular citizens, not just company cars and trucks.

Not only italians highways are probably the most expansive in the world, but the Telepass WalkTheWorld was talking about it's the only kind of subscription that make you pay more instead of less...for the charging of the toll on your bank account, you also have to pay bank expanses (if they didn't change it) Couldn't our freeway be really free? Or with vignette like more civilised country do?

Stat Crux dum volvitur orbis

Deus, in adiutorium meum intende
Il_Milanese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #180
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Vignette.
You're kiddin'

In the USA I've only paid toll for the Big Dig so far. In Alaska I haven't encountered any toll booth so far