daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1981
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2043

Oh no, I really really hope they'll eventually stay with the current project, it would be so amazing if the Pinnacle was built in that design and height. Among all of the already built and planned London's skyscrapers it's always been my favourite.

Ivanator liked this post
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #1982
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 815

If it isn't built in London I hope they sell the design to the Chinese or someone else. This really must be built somewhere.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1983
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

I too thought this tower was great and would be great for London's Skyline, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, I hope there is still a chance it could still get built.
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1984
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

the construction has been postponed because of the unstoppable financial crisis on the european continent.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1985
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

This building design is now dead.

They are redesigning a new tower for the plot.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1986
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

The Architects' Journal reports this may get a height increase. KPF is still the official architect.
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1987
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

New Look for London Skyline as Pinnacle Design Refreshed.

It’s been a long time coming, but it looks like London’s most prestigious on-again off-again skyscraper – The Pinnacle – could finally be on the road to construction.

fragment...

Redesigning The Pinnacle.

2013 was set to be the year that The Pinnacle grinds back into action. But amid legal battles between the Tower’s Saudi owners and its building contractors, it seems as though the respective parties have had their focus firmly planted elsewhere.

Now, all that could be about to change. According to the Architect’s Journal, a glimmer of hope in the form of a redesign – which should make construction cheaper – could put The Pinnacle back on track.

Architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the tower’s original designers, have been successfully retained despite the attempts of rival architectural firms to take over the re-design process. Originally, the design included a spectacular spiralling, curved glass structure, with each piece of glass requiring bespoke cutting and shaping. But in the face of soaring construction costs – fast approaching £1 billion – it is believed that this part of the design has now been altered to cut costs on the project.

The redesigns are expected within the next two weeks, and could even include a taller specification for the Tower. The structure is already set to soar over other landmark London office buildings including the Gherkin, Heron Tower and Canary Wharf, and will be second in height only to the astronomical Shard (1,016 ft).

link: http://www.officingtoday.com/2013/03...ign-refreshed/

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1988
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 815

Sounds like they might not necessarily ditch the spiral shape, so long as they can sort something out with glass. Hope they don't.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1989
SO143
BANNED

it will never be taller than the mighty shard.
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1990
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

"If it isn't built in London I hope they sell the design to the Chinese or someone else. This really must be built somewhere. "

This tower was designed for a specific context. Its form grew out of the plot shape and its height and design were related to its neighbouring tall buildings and context.

No decent architect would consider building it elsewhere. Every tall building should be a bespoke response to its site. in a different location this building would do nothing for a skyline or the streets below. This design is dead. Let's all get over it, add it to London's list of phantom projects and hope that the next proposal for the site is better still.
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1991
djs83

Likes (Received): 0

I'm hoping this thread moves to super tall!!! Imagine that guys!
djs83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1992
Hoskins

Likes (Received): 877

Didn't the CAA (the authority that regulates air traffic in the UK) shorten it in the first place for air safety reasons? The original design was for it to be slightly higher than the Shard.
Hoskins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1993
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Well I think the official height limit for the area is 1,000ft, which translates to 304m, so it could technically reach 300m (984ft), or just push above the supertall benchmark - 301m, 302m etc.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1994
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

I wonder why proposed skyscrapers like 2 WTC and the pinnacle, which have amazing & unique designs have such problems to be realized.

well don't have a lot of masterplanning, cityplanning or architectural background knowledge, but why do 'they' first build buildings like 'the walkie talkie', which i think is an eyesore and not such an iconic building like the pinnacle?!

The same with WTC 2...its a shame..

I mean, I think most of SScity members would like to see the pinnacle rising which would make a big (positive) difference to the london skyline...and I think so many members can't have a bad taste so..

I don't get it..
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1995
SO143
BANNED

the construction cost alone is estimated to be more than 1.5 billion? wtf
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1996
Prince Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
the construction cost alone is estimated to be more than 1.5 billion? wtf
who cares just build that!!!! ...or let the saudis build it, but here in london!
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1997
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Valium View Post
I wonder why proposed skyscrapers like 2 WTC and the pinnacle, which have amazing & unique designs have such problems to be realized.

well don't have a lot of masterplanning, cityplanning or architectural background knowledge, but why do 'they' first build buildings like 'the walkie talkie', which i think is an eyesore and not such an iconic building like the pinnacle?!

The same with WTC 2...its a shame..

I mean, I think most of SScity members would like to see the pinnacle rising which would make a big (positive) difference to the london skyline...and I think so many members can't have a bad taste so..

I don't get it..
What do you not understand? The more extravagant a design, the more expensive it is and thus the less likely it is to be built. Common sense no?
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1998
Prince Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
What do you not understand? The more extravagant a design, the more expensive it is and thus the less likely it is to be built. Common sense no?
yes, its common sense...

just frustrated that such a nice building won't be built in the near future.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1999
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Valium View Post
yes, its common sense...

just frustrated that such a nice building won't be built in the near future.
The finances just didn't stack up on the original design. Each piece of glass had to be individually crafted to a certain shape (not sure if they were all different but certainly many of the pieces were) which is just a stupid design really. I'd love for them to find a solution with the existing design but make more sensible use of the glass it doesn't seem impossible to hold the design but alter the glass slightly but then again I'm no architect.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2000
Prince Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
The finances just didn't stack up on the original design. Each piece of glass had to be individually crafted to a certain shape (not sure if they were all different but certainly many of the pieces were) which is just a stupid design really. I'd love for them to find a solution with the existing design but make more sensible use of the glass it doesn't seem impossible to hold the design but alter the glass slightly but then again I'm no architect.
well is it stupid just because its different and not easy to realize?! i don't know..

maybe economically stupid.. i think its the same with the elbe philharmony..I read that they have a lot of individual elements to put together..and the costs increased excessively...

Tags
britain, london