daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2001
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Valium View Post
I wonder why proposed skyscrapers like 2 WTC and the pinnacle, which have amazing & unique designs have such problems to be realized.

well don't have a lot of masterplanning, cityplanning or architectural background knowledge, but why do 'they' first build buildings like 'the walkie talkie', which i think is an eyesore and not such an iconic building like the pinnacle?!

The same with WTC 2...its a shame..

I mean, I think most of SScity members would like to see the pinnacle rising which would make a big (positive) difference to the london skyline...and I think so many members can't have a bad taste so..

I don't get it..
2 WTC will be built. Related is offering 5m sq ft of space at cost, and it has been signing a lot of leases due to the unbeatable price. Other developers can't compete.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2002
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57840

Is this still a current info? A redesign doesn't sound like a promising idea really, I loved the initial concept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
It’s been a long time coming, but it looks like London’s most prestigious on-again off-again skyscraper – The Pinnacle – could finally be on the road to construction.

fragment...

Redesigning The Pinnacle.

2013 was set to be the year that The Pinnacle grinds back into action. But amid legal battles between the Tower’s Saudi owners and its building contractors, it seems as though the respective parties have had their focus firmly planted elsewhere.

Now, all that could be about to change. According to the Architect’s Journal, a glimmer of hope in the form of a redesign – which should make construction cheaper – could put The Pinnacle back on track.

Architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the tower’s original designers, have been successfully retained despite the attempts of rival architectural firms to take over the re-design process. Originally, the design included a spectacular spiralling, curved glass structure, with each piece of glass requiring bespoke cutting and shaping. But in the face of soaring construction costs – fast approaching £1 billion – it is believed that this part of the design has now been altered to cut costs on the project.

The redesigns are expected within the next two weeks, and could even include a taller specification for the Tower. The structure is already set to soar over other landmark London office buildings including the Gherkin, Heron Tower and Canary Wharf, and will be second in height only to the astronomical Shard (1,016 ft).

link: http://www.officingtoday.com/2013/03...ign-refreshed/

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2003
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12566

Is this a new design?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:24 AM   #2004
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Brookfield takes expanded role on revamped Pinnacle

http://www.building.co.uk/news/brook...053111.article

Quote:
Contractor Brookfield Multiplex has secured an expanded management role on the stalled Pinnacle tower development. The news comes as revamped designs for the tower are set to be launched which are expected to propose a partial change of use from commercial to residential.

Building understands that Brookfield Multiplex has taken on a “hybrid” contractor and project management role on the City tower (pictured), beyond its £593m job as main contractor, and has been working with architect Kohn Pederson Fox and the client to value engineer the designs in a bid to significantly reduce the project’s costs. Under current plans the cost could reach £1bn.

It is understood the new plans are aimed at simplifying the 288m-tall helter-skelter form to make the unusual shape more viable for office use. However, it is also understood that the relaunched scheme is set to include a partial change of use from commercial to residential in a bid to boost its viability. This move is likely to prove controversial with City of London planners, who have long opposed residential use in the City and have expressed concerns about the potential distortion of the City’s commercial development by the influx of foreign wealth into London’s residential market.

Peter Rees, City of London planning officer, told Building: “Were they to seek alternative use of significant parts of the building, it would be unlikely to be accepted from a planning point of view in London’s central business district, where we’re short of office space.”

The Pinnacle has lain dormant since the beginning of 2012 after finance for the scheme dried up.

A £16m legal row over unpaid fees between Brookfield and the client, Pinnacle No 1 Ltd - a joint-venture between Sedco, a Saudi Arabian fund manager, and a Sharia-compliant fund managed by Pramerica - was settled in January, removing the imminent threat of insolvency from the stalled project.

It is understood that Brookfield’s expanded role on the scheme was secured as part of that settlement, with the firm likely to earn higher fees if the project is built out, to compensate for the £16m it had claimed it was owed.

However, the project still lacks the anchor tenant the client has said it needs to enable it to proceed. Until a tenant or a fresh financing package can be secured the project is likely to remain on hold.

A Brookfield Multiplex spokesperson declined to comment on the exact detail of the firm’s role or the fresh design proposals, but said: “We are working with the client on a development appraisal to move the scheme forward.”

Kohn Pederson Fox and Pinnacle No 1 declined to comment.
http://ukbusinessproperty.co.uk/news...e-or-not-to-be

Quote:
The Pinnacle, partly built and planned as the tallest skyscraper in London, is presently known as "The Stump", since only seven of it's 63 storeys have been built, could be knocked down and rebuilt.

The architects, Kohn Pedersen Fox have completed a redesign of the Pinnacle, to reduce the cost of it's construction, originally estimated at around £1 billion, thanks to the use of expensive curved windows in particular, which were each of a different size.

The original design would make it more than twice as expensive to build as the Shard, which cost around £450 million and would increase the risk that the building might not be profitable.

The new designs have similar massing, but will require planning consent. City planning officer Peter Rees said: "The Pinnacle, or Helter-Skelter as I prefer to call it, was one of the last of the era of wacky buildings." Rees has been involved in discussions about alternative designs, and expects to see proposals which are more commercially sensible in terms of floor plates, where curves produce too much dead space.

Back in February, a resolution to the buildings other legal and financing issues, which had halted construction in January 2012, was announced. The financing issues had been caused by the legal dispute over unpaid fees to Brookfield, which made prospective tenants think twice about signing the pre-lets which make the scheme viable.

In a statement then Arab Investments said: "The Pinnacle No 1 Limited announces that it has secured finance to continue the Pinnacle project over the next two years including a further annual extension of the HSH Nordbank loan.

"It has also reached agreement with Brookfield Multiplex, which will allow the two companies to continue to work on the project going forward. The Pinnacle No 1 Limited will initiate a review of the scheme with Brookfield and will make a further statement following the completion of this review."

As a result of the settlement Bookfield Multiplex is taking on an expanded role as co-developer as well as main contractor. Whether the building that is eventually built will be a "Pinnacle" remains to be seen.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by towerpower123; May 2nd, 2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: new article
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2005
onerob

Likes (Received): 400

Sounds like Peter Rees wants to play hardball. This could scupper the whole project.
onerob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #2006
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

£1 billion for this?
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2007
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Maybe it's all a coy plan after seeing the success of the Shard.

Whatever we see it will be of terrific design as it will still be the Pinnacle of the City's cluster. Don't think people have to worry so much. Yes the original design was lovely but so will the next one.

Munwon liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2008
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

This tower should be in under construction form, I drove past today and the core was almost 6 stories high.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2009
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

It's been like that for a long while, that's why it's on hold and it belongs here.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2010
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

No Redesign yet...

Has anybody got any news on this? Are they waiting for tennants or some sort of deal?

O_o
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2011
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

I can't wait to see this rise, I hope it's soon because it will beautify the city cluster
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2012
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

A friend of mine who works with KPF mentioned that they are considering a height decrease to the 220-230m range in order to save on costs. Planning is in the preliminary stages however so this is subject to change.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #2013
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

This has become such a disappointment especially with the suggestion of a height decrease.

NWTS, Ivanator liked this post
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #2014
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
A friend of mine who works with KPF mentioned that they are considering a height decrease to the 220-230m range in order to save on costs. Planning is in the preliminary stages however so this is subject to change.
That would be awful, purely because it would be the same height as 122 Leadenhall, which isn't what the cluster needs. Even 240-250m would be more desirable, as long as it's taller than Leadenhall to really give the cluster a pinnacle, otherwise it risks becoming a rather flat skyline.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]

NWTS, Ivanator, Birmingham liked this post
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #2015
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
That would be awful, purely because it would be the same height as 122 Leadenhall, which isn't what the cluster needs. Even 240-250m would be more desirable, as long as it's taller than Leadenhall to really give the cluster a pinnacle, otherwise it risks becoming a rather flat skyline.
Exactly, if it gets a height decrease I'd rather they cancel it all together. It really does pain me to say that.
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2016
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

We all should wait for the official report. KPF previously reported that the height will be increased and this building will become the tallest building in London after the Shard and i initially thought that the height would be around 1000 ft. Fingers crossed though!
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2017
onerob

"KPF previously reported that the height will be increased"

Hmm. Not sure about that.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #2018
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
"KPF previously reported that the height will be increased"

Hmm. Not sure about that.
Yes they did
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2019
onerob

I don't think they can go much higher than the original 288m (or whatever it was) because of the overall maximum height restrictions imposed on buildings in London. The reason for the Pinnacle not being allowed to match the height of the Shard is that The City is on a slight elevation compared to south of the river. At least that's how I've been led to understand things from reading the forums.
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2020
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
I don't think they can go much higher than the original 288m (or whatever it was) because of the overall maximum height restrictions imposed on buildings in London. The reason for the Pinnacle not being allowed to match the height of the Shard is that The City is on a slight elevation compared to south of the river. At least that's how I've been led to understand things from reading the forums.
The Reason for height restriction on the original Pinnacle design was because of Aviation Authority - thats it. The Pinnacle was originally meant to be taller than The Shard.

A height increase to 1000+ (just below or higher than The Shard) is actually quite realistic... especially with a new simplified design.

I believe we will hear news on this soon... The owners will have to act soon because competition is stirring in the City and The Pinnacle will be left behind on tennants.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, london