daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #2021
onerob

Likes (Received): 400

That would be good – I think. Too tall and it would look out of proportion to the rest of the cluster. Too short and the pinnacle effect wouldn't happen properly.
onerob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #2022
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

I completely agree with what all of you gents said above.

It is not allowed to go higher than planned height is because of it's proximity to LCY (London City Airport).

TowerVerre:) liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2023
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
I completely agree with what all of you gents said above.

It is not allowed to go higher than planned height is because of it's proximity to LCY (London City Airport).
Yes exactly. But I think the maximum height is around 1000 anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit it. It is probably the reason behind the delay. Having another tower in London this tall will take a lot of politics and challenges to overcome.

I am still hopeful of this project.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2024
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Yes exactly. But I think the maximum height is around 1000 anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit it. It is probably the reason behind the delay. Having another tower in London this tall will take a lot of politics and challenges to overcome. I am still hopeful of this project.
Add on the height of any crane during construction perhaps?

Sadly I'm expecting a height decrease now. It's a shame if true as height was never its problem.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2025
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Look at it from a different point of view.

"The Pinnacle" - It has to be the tallest in the city otherwise it will need to change it's name.

In my honest opinion I see this being boxier but not much different in height.

Truthfully. A box with a crown would look the dogs bollocks.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2026
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Look at it from a different point of view.

"The Pinnacle" - It has to be the tallest in the city otherwise it will need to change it's name.

In my honest opinion I see this being boxier but not much different in height.

Truthfully. A box with a crown would look the dogs bollocks.
You actually right. Anything very tall right now would look amazing - a true centre to a skyline. It would look amazing.

well said!
~

L O N D O N
~

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2027
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Something like Singapore's Republic Plaza wouldn't look too out of place, I reckon. As long as it defines the skyline, looks nice and makes an impact, it'll be great - it doesn't have to be the most flashy and extravagant design in the world.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2028
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
Something like Singapore's Republic Plaza wouldn't look too out of place, I reckon. As long as it defines the skyline, looks nice and makes an impact, it'll be great - it doesn't have to be the most flashy and extravagant design in the world.
Eh, I'm not a fan of Republic Plaza - but I see where you're coming from.

I think something like the International Commerce Centre in Hong Kong would fit well;
~

L O N D O N
~

Old October 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2029
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Although I agree with you guys, some part of me just can't let the old design go, I liked it too much...
Ah well, looking forwards to see the new design!
And Bligh I agree, an ICC-like building would be great.
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2030
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanator View Post
Although I agree with you guys, some part of me just can't let the old design go, I liked it too much...
Ah well, looking forwards to see the new design!
And Bligh I agree, an ICC-like building would be great.
ikr! It really would! Bring a strong, powerful structure to the cluster and symbolically look like the most important - thus the Pinnacle.
~

L O N D O N
~

Ivanator liked this post
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2031
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Is there any idea as to when we will see the new "simpler" design? I am surprised this has not happened already with all of the construction going on in London the longer they wait the more competition is coming up.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2032
Ferryman

Likes (Received): 79

Been waiting for months to hear any news - yet still nothing!

I think they should retain the height of 290m-300m mark and clad the building in the same quality as 20 Fenchurch Street.

A height decrease would be an absolute disaster! The City needs a pinnacle... look at L.A. as an example.

I really hope the new design and renders is released soon or by the New Year, it needs to be built
Ferryman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #2033
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Any height decrease and I'd rather they just knock it all down, that's how disappointed I would be.

sk327 liked this post
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #2034
sk327

Likes (Received): 351

Totally agree. Needs to be at least 270m to make a considerable impact in comparison to Leadenhall which is 225m, but I would rather it be around 330m (Am I over optimistic?)

Its AlL gUUd liked this post
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #2035
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
Totally agree. Needs to be at least 270m to make a considerable impact in comparison to Leadenhall which is 225m, but I would rather it be around 330m (Am I over optimistic?)
No you're not over optimistic. 300+m is incredibly realistic. The Pinnacle will be in a competitive area - floor space will be needed. Even if some of the height is purely for vanity purposes - i still think it would be a good idea.

As people on here have mentioned - it is 'The Pinnacle' after all.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old November 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2036
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Furthermore, even with a redesign to cut costs (that cladding was, to be fair, insanely complex for its value) they are going to want to retain available floor space. If we see a more boxy shape with a lower overall cost, it is almost certainly going to have to be taller to keep the same amount of available interior.

Even if it goes shorter, it's fine. The City of London is not going to be the architectural peak of London. Canary Wharf is getting huge and dense and tall, and there's an insane amount of projects going up all over the city.

The Pinnacle just needs to round out the City cluster, it doesn't need to be the defining spire of the city outside the City.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2037
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Furthermore, even with a redesign to cut costs (that cladding was, to be fair, insanely complex for its value) they are going to want to retain available floor space. If we see a more boxy shape with a lower overall cost, it is almost certainly going to have to be taller to keep the same amount of available interior.

Even if it goes shorter, it's fine. The City of London is not going to be the architectural peak of London. Canary Wharf is getting huge and dense and tall, and there's an insane amount of projects going up all over the city.

The Pinnacle just needs to round out the City cluster, it doesn't need to be the defining spire of the city outside the City.
I would tend to agree with this.

As well I really do not care how tall it is, granted 300M would be amazing as long as it is BUILT and is over 200m I am a happy camper.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2038
sk327

Likes (Received): 351

I wouldn't be happy with 200m. Absolutely not!! Its one of the few last additions of tall building to the city for a very long time (because of the sightlines) and it has to be the right one!

It's gonna be really interesting whats gonna happen after the city cannot build any more skyscrapers, can you imagine everything happening in CW? Or even the creation of a new master-planned highrise business district? So exciting!
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2039
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
I wouldn't be happy with 200m. Absolutely not!! Its one of the few last additions of tall building to the city for a very long time (because of the sightlines) and it has to be the right one!

It's gonna be really interesting whats gonna happen after the city cannot build any more skyscrapers, can you imagine everything happening in CW? Or even the creation of a new master-planned highrise business district? So exciting!
They're quite a few buildings in the City waiting to come up... The Scalpel, 100 Bishopsgate, 40 Leadenhall (Gotham City), Heron Plaza, and more.

The momentum will be here for many years... especially considering 40 Leadenhall has only recently released renders (September time?).

Whatever does happen to The Pinnacle - London will have many skyscraper projects rise up to create a vivid, unique and beautiful skyline.
~

L O N D O N
~

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #2040
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

The City is also not the future of London's skyscrapers. It's too congested and too restricted. Canary Wharf is going to be vast in a couple of decades. It will be midtown to the City's lower manhattan.

Fonis liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, london