daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2101
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1view View Post
I know some people have a genuine preference for more traditional, quieter architecture. I also think some people are a bit snobbish about something that holds such popular appeal, as if it's somehow more intelligent to want a traditional, po-faced design. But I feel that the pinnacle does a beautiful job of uniting the existing cluster, and bringing harmony, and a true pinnacle, to the skyline. I am proud London is brave enough to create something so different and brave
This is a very fair statement. Well said Sir.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:03 PM   #2102
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
You're entitled to your own opinion - but I believe that sucha design is needed in The City to add a personality. I think that such a design could indeed fit into a Chinese City or Dubai/Abu Dhabi - but the quality is of that the finest Chinese/Arab structures.

I do not think the tower is 'cheap looking' at all - I do not think any of the new London Skyscrapers do. In fact London has become famed not for the tallest skyscrapers in the world but one of the best in quality and design.

Like I said at the start; you are entitled to your own opinion - but a vast majority of Skyscraper Fans, professional Urban Planners, and politicians would disagree with you.
Speaking as a professional urban designer in London, I think that the design is/was too massive, particularly in width, and for such a visible location far too complicated and gimmicky. From certain viewpoints it looks particularly inelegant.

The spiral shapes look like the result of experiments with early versions of new software but will soon look very dated.

I still believe this location needs something timeless and simple with real gravitas - particularly as there are so many clashing and competing forms in the other towers nearby. This tower has and had the opportunity to draw it all together into something that was greater than the sum of its parts, but unfortunately it just adds another loud voice to the cocophany of styles.

I'd like to see a simple, rectalinear, stepped tower with very simple, and very high quality cladding. One that says that the city is smart, dignified and thinks about the long term. I don't think the helter skelter design does that.

cloud32, Joe.03 liked this post
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:31 PM   #2103
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Of course, I just want the best for my city and am holding out for a design that makes me go 'Yes! that's it! they've got it'. This design obviously has merit. I just hate the views when the little curl on top looks small and pathetic, and when the spiral sticks up right in the middle of the widest portion of the tower - which is a lot of the views. I'm also convinved that it's so 'now' that the design will fall right out of fashion really soon, which is a bad idea on such a prominent site... but its not the worst. At least it isn't top heavy, slumped and fond of setting cars on fire.

cloud32 liked this post
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:48 PM   #2104
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 815

'The spiral shapes look like the result of experiments with early versions of new software but will soon look very dated.'

How could it ever look dated or primitive? It's a shape. Are rectangles dated? How about the spiral of shanghai tower or the one in Moscow or Dubai, are they primitive spiral shapes, which we will look at years from now and consider quaint, when we have such superior spirals created with our superior technology?

'I'm also convinved that it's so 'now' that the design will fall right out of fashion really soon'.

Who dictates what's in fashion? It will only fall out of fashion if it is repeated a lot by other towers. Currently however, this spiral shape is totally unique. And if becomes a fashion that won't be the Pinnacles fault, but the fault of the architects who copy this design.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:52 PM   #2105
E1view

Likes (Received): 731

It could end looking dated, but id rather that than play safe tbh. It might be an anticlamax when it goes up though, we have seen it for years sparkling in the sunny renders, the real thing might look different on the average drizzling afternoon, the top disappearing into grey cloud, with cheap cladding
E1view no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:06 AM   #2106
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Well they have the benefit of the doubt, surely. The original design was stellar, the project as a whole is delayed but rock solid. And the City of London has an amazingly cohesive skyline already.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a guaranteed hit, but there's no reason to suspect otherwise at this stage. Any redesign to the cladding will be minor and there's no major structural changes planned to the upper floors.

It's going to be the exact same shape with a tweaked facade with more regular glass panels. If they do it right, you won't even notice the change, especially as the biggest redesign is for the interior floor plan.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #2107
MuppetThumper

Likes (Received): 26

For an ignorant soul like mine, could someone explain in a nutshell how cladding types differ and why they make such a difference in cost and quality terms?
MuppetThumper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:51 PM   #2108
sk327

Likes (Received): 351

Everything will become dated at some point, unless it's one of the classic ones I believe (eg. Chrysler Building). Unfortunately, skyscrapers like this do not get built anymore.

I don't think that the pinnacle will look dated by the time its finished, what if the developers of the Gherkin thought the same and instead built a box? Is the Gherkin dated? Absolutely not. And I'm quite sure it has a long way to go until it is considered dated. It may not be unique anymore (there's a similar one in Barcelona) but it has become a landmark for London!
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #2109
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

I don't really think you can compare Torre Agbar to the Gherkin, even in terms of form, as both were designed around the same time and both have competely different cladding systems.

Also I do agree that the spiral shape of the pinnacle would look better as a sleek rectangle, as too many of the City buildings are 'landmark buildings' struggling for attention with their mismatched styles. The only way this can be toned down is with smaller rectangular towers complimenting taller ones like what the Pinnacle could potentially be. This would make the existing 'landmark' buildings truly that whilst giving a coherent skyline overall.
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM   #2110
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

An artist's impression..

image hosted on flickr

Old Man by -hellcat-, on Flickr

Bligh liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM   #2111
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
Everything will become dated at some point, unless it's one of the classic ones I believe (eg. Chrysler Building). Unfortunately, skyscrapers like this do not get built anymore.

I don't think that the pinnacle will look dated by the time its finished, what if the developers of the Gherkin thought the same and instead built a box? Is the Gherkin dated? Absolutely not. And I'm quite sure it has a long way to go until it is considered dated. It may not be unique anymore (there's a similar one in Barcelona) but it has become a landmark for London!
I completely agree with this statement. I don't think a few more 'boxy' skyscrapers would harm the Skyline... in fact it would probably help with an overall project.

Alas, what we should not forget is that the skyline itself is not a project controlled by one group. Like every skyline we just need to see what is approved/redesigned and hope for the best.

Personally I believe that The Pinnacle will look beautiful and will top off the City. Also, remember that Manhattan Skyscrapers were competing for attention - but the result was beautiful. As I think The City will be.

I completely understand that the argument from both sides - as I would have liked a re-design similar to the International Finance Centre in Hong Kong. But the Pinnacle will do just fine.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM   #2112
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
If that's a current rendering, then it's very beautiful!
I believe that is an old rendering as it's a poster/wall barrier and the man is just walking past it - most likely just outisde the construction site.

Unless they have put up new barriers suggesting site activity? - Unfortunately I do not know this for certain.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM   #2113
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Ok thnx. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a great design which is as close to the original as possible.
I completely agree - I am sure we will be delivered a gorgeous tower that will compliment The City Skyline in a vibrant way.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2114
ZERO-FIFTY
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Absolutely beautiful!
ZERO-FIFTY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #2115
Ferryman

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post

The Chrysler Building and the Empire State look good from a distance, but close up they really do show their age. Having said that, the shapes are interesting and elegant. Look at the Gherkin, it never fails to amaze with its design and colour and its 10 years old already! I hate the shape of 20FS but love its cladding. I also love One Canada Square and the surrounding cluster there because it looks international. Don't get me wrong, i love some of the towers in the City, but if i'm honest, at the moment, from some angles it looks like a tangled mess of odd shapes...... hopefully, the Pinnacle will rectify it and give it a bit more profile.

What am i saying, i love London's skyline
Ferryman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #2116
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
The Chrysler Building and the Empire State look good from a distance, but close up they really do show their age. Having said that, the shapes are interesting and elegant. Look at the Gherkin, it never fails to amaze with its design and colour and its 10 years old already! I hate the shape of 20FS but love its cladding. I also love One Canada Square and the surrounding cluster there because it looks international. Don't get me wrong, i love some of the towers in the City, but if i'm honest, at the moment, from some angles it looks like a tangled mess of odd shapes...... hopefully, the Pinnacle will rectify it and give it a bit more profile.

What am i saying, i love London's skyline
Yes, well said. The City is beautiful and I love it - but I agree that there is some time to go until it can reach it's full potential and more.

The Pinnacle can only really help this ultimate goal.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #2117
Khaleejian

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Speaking as a professional urban designer in London, I think that the design is/was too massive, particularly in width, and for such a visible location far too complicated and gimmicky. From certain viewpoints it looks particularly inelegant.

The spiral shapes look like the result of experiments with early versions of new software but will soon look very dated.

I still believe this location needs something timeless and simple with real gravitas - particularly as there are so many clashing and competing forms in the other towers nearby. This tower has and had the opportunity to draw it all together into something that was greater than the sum of its parts, but unfortunately it just adds another loud voice to the cocophany of styles.

I'd like to see a simple, rectalinear, stepped tower with very simple, and very high quality cladding. One that says that the city is smart, dignified and thinks about the long term. I don't think the helter skelter design does that.
good points. the building doesnt look so good from some angles. the top kinda looks like al hamra tower so its not even something unique. simple designs usually make a building look good in all ages. thats something that i really appreciate about the transamerica pyramid in san francisco.
Khaleejian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #2118
Ferryman

Likes (Received): 78

simple designs usually make a building look good in all ages. thats something that i really appreciate about the transamerica pyramid in san francisco.[/QUOTE]

That's very true... i've seen the Transameric Pyramid and it is a good looking skyscraper. In fact, despite San Francisco being so dense, that is its tallest building - a mere 260m. But the skyline works!

Khaleejian liked this post
Ferryman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #2119
RockAss

Likes (Received): 2557

This was my favourite tower when it was proposed 9 years ago.. since then a lot of things happened everywhere and this is still a stump
I think eventually this will cost more even after all efforts trying to save on construction cost because of this delay than if they just finished it when they started..
RockAss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2120
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAss View Post
This was my favourite tower when it was proposed 9 years ago.. since then a lot of things happened everywhere and this is still a stump
I think eventually this will cost more even after all efforts trying to save on construction cost because of this delay than if they just finished it when they started..
I'm not too sure about that... the redesign is saving millions of pounds. I do agree that there could have been more time spent wisely - but the timing wasn't right. The Pinnacle was also effectively beaten by the Leadenhall Tower and 20FS.

But now... now is getting to the right time. I'd be surprised if construction doesn't resume this year.
~

L O N D O N
~

Tags
britain, london