daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #501
eyrie
2cloudsabove9

Likes (Received): 6

I agree.London may be a relative newcomer to the skyscraper scene but it will be one of the best and most stylish contenders in the world.The city is 100% class.
eyrie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #502
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

forgive me for sounding a little blunt but do you mean the city of London or the actual metropolis itself? Too many people refer to the city of London as just the city which is why it does sound confusing.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #503
dfitzzz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
forgive me for sounding a little blunt but do you mean the city of London or the actual metropolis itself? Too many people refer to the city of London as just the city which is why it does sound confusing.

The "city of London" would be the metropolis and "The City of London" would be the square mile.Grammatically speaking.....
dfitzzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #504
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3180

Seems like all of these long standing London proposals are coming alive in the summer of 2007. It's got to be very exciting for all of you there.
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #505
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzzz View Post
The "city of London" would be the metropolis and "The City of London" would be the square mile.Grammatically speaking.....
Thanks for clearing that up with me
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #506
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

when is the demolition phase supposed to be over?
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #507
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Within a few weeks probably. Then they'll begin site preparation.

Then by January we'll know for sure if they'll proceed with construction.
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #508
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Only a few weeks of demo left!?!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #509
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

It's coming down fast and there's only a few floors. Much of it has been gutted already.

Anyway, they said it would take 2 months.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #510
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12342

Quote:
That is why I think London will be the best city in the world architecturally.
in the immediate future i would agree this is the case. what remains to be seen is how well these towers age, will be looking at them in 30 years time and thinking "yuck how old fashioned!" or will be regarding them as we do lloyds of london? modern does not always translate into timelessness and thats the tough thing with architecture - you cannot really tell what is classic until 30 years later.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #511
Brightonboi
Rule Britannia !

Likes (Received): 4

Have you ever heard of demolishing a building and then not building the new one ? Im 99% sure this will go ahead, People here worry too much. Relax !
Brightonboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #512
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I am adamanet these towers will age well... The materials are of an excellent quality, and frankly, when I look at these proposals I don't see modern, I see futuristic. Very futuristic in some cases
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #513
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

My thoughts exactly.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #514
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Londons boom is goin to make a big impact on europes skylines, possibly causing others to follow suit..
over there in england they are a selective type so the skyline will be pretty nice to see grow
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #515
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3360

I don't think these new towers will have much of a problem with aging.
Part of this is due to the fact that they are simply so well designed. Yes, they are quintessentially 'modern' but that isn't the only aspect of their character - they are also designed to be aesthetically pleasing.

I think some of the ugliness of the ubiquitous modern box of 40 years ago is that they reveled in their modernity too much - they were cheap, easy to construct and to many that was what modernism was about, concerns over appearance were frivolous. Fine for the time perhaps, but the one irony of pure modernism is that it doesn't stay 'modern' for very long, and yes, shock horror, - the buildings become old. Unfortunately, such deontological architecture, that thought if things looked modern to contemporary eyes they'd always stay modern went out of style. What was thought to be the one and only 'modern' era has, like all those before it, passed, and with it the architecture associated with it.

Look at 1 Canada Square built with some aesthetic consideration. Thats approaching it's twentieth birthday (granted one may think it's not be the prettiest building in the world) it's nevertheless not got worse in anyway.

Last edited by PresidentBjork; August 14th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.
PresidentBjork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #516
rugbytommy

Likes (Received): 1

yes , 1 Canada Square has aged well , and so will the new crop of buildings .
rugbytommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #517
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
It's coming down fast and there's only a few floors. Much of it has been gutted already.

Anyway, they said it would take 2 months.
foxy, not being pedantic, but surely it will take a little longer than that. Its still a 7-8 storey block connecting to three other buildings, including the little Hiscox insurance building on Great St Helens, and a bridge like structure over the pedestrian route through from Bishopsgate. They've been at it since May, and we've only seen a few levels of 22-24 Bishopsgate come down. I estimated it will be completely levelled by November, and then there's a shed load of excavation needed to get down to the sub-basements before the piling starts (which for a 288m building will be substantial).
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #518
AleBoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentBjork View Post
I don't think these new towers will have much of a problem with aging.
Part of this is due to the fact that they are simply so well designed. Yes, they are quintessentially 'modern' but that isn't the only aspect of their character - they are also designed to be aesthetically pleasing.

I think some of the ugliness of the ubiquitous modern box of 40 years ago is that they reveled in their modernity too much - they were cheap, easy to construct and to many that was what modernism was about, concerns over appearance were frivolous. Fine for the time perhaps, but the one irony of pure modernism is that it doesn't stay 'modern' for very long, and yes, shock horror, - the buildings become old. Unfortunately, such deontological architecture, that thought if things looked modern to contemporary eyes they'd always stay modern went out of style. What was thought to be the one and only 'modern' era has, like all those before it, passed, and with it the architecture associated with it.

Look at 1 Canada Square built with some aesthetic consideration. Thats approaching it's twentieth birthday (granted one may think it's not be the prettiest building in the world) it's nevertheless not got worse in anyway.
The way in which the appeal of contemporaneously perceived modernity in architecture has ebbed so rapidly in the last 50 years is a cause for concern for current crop of modernist construction in the city, especially given the boldness of new construction.

The observable paradox that modernism doesn't remain modern for very long is true. But the ebb and flow of modernity need not be coupled with the general pejoritive of 60s boxes. There are shifts in modernity but these do not necessarily result in the distasteful reflection of the previous conception of what it is to be modern. You would not expect critics to laud the art deco NYC skyscrapers of the 1930s for their undignified aging. The Chrysler building is stunning and certainly revealed its modernity. These buildings are certainly not ubiquitous. If ubiquity leads to distasteful reflection then these new skyscrapers are in the clear; they're certainly not ubiquitous.

Perhaps rather than perceiving a process where pure modernity is inevitably rejected, we should instead try to construct skyscrapers that wil evoke a timeless appeal, like NYC art deco. Aesthetics contribute greatly, I agree More 1 Canada Squares are safe bets, true, but where's the excitement? I think we should all be comforted by the success of 30 St Mary's Axe in the case of the Bishopsgate Tower.

Anyway, I was walking past the site on the way to work yesterday and I snapped some photos of the posters that are on the temporary walls. But I can't work out how to up load them onto this forum. It says something about entering the url and cos theyre on my hardrive I have no idea what to do.

Here is a summary of what it said:
General
Demolition progressing on both 22-24 & 38 Bishopsgate

Current Works
Scaffold being erected on the front elevator of 38 Bishopsgate.
Structural demolition is well advanced 22-24 Bishopsgate.
Structural demoliton of 38 Bihsopsgate has begun. All plant equipment being removed by crane.
Interior soft strip of 38 Bishopsgate is well advanced 8th , 7th, 6th and 5th floors near completely stripped of materials.
Removal of plant and equipment from the roof is currently underway to allow demolition to commence.

Future Works
Removal of glazing along Bishopsgate.
Structural demolition of 38 Bishopsgate.
Back propping to basement areas.
Service diversion works within Great St Helens area which will be carried out by BT. EDF, Square Energy and Colt - dates to be confirmed.

Last edited by AleBoy; August 25th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
AleBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #519
london lad

Likes (Received): 2246

Multiplex to build London's Pinnacle

17:12 | 28.08.07

Arab Investments has awarded the contract to build the Pinnacle to Multiplex.

By Deirdre Hipwell

The contract for the tallest skyscraper in the City has been agreed at a maximum price of around £500m.

Construction of the 945 foot tower on Bishopsgate is expected to start early next year with completion in two years time. Planning permission has already been granted and demolition work has begun.

Khalid Affara, managing director of Arab Investments said: ‘I am delighted to have reached agreement with Multiplex to build this unique tower, the centrepiece of the City’s cluster of tall buildings. There are very few companies in the world able to take on such a project and Multiplex are one of them. We look forward to a successful partnership and to the building of an iconic addition to the London skyline. When you talk about London you’ll talk about this.’

The Pinnacle, designed by KPF, will have 950,000 sq feet of space and will host the capital’s highest restaurant on its 60th floor.

Multiplex has experience of building tall buildings in Australia and the Middle East.

Arab Investments, which has the backing of 70 Middle Eastern investors, bought the site from German open ended fund manager DIFA for £200m in May. Savills is letting agent.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #520
**Barman_boy**

Likes (Received): 34

mmmmm i like very much the desing, !! so cool

Tags
britain, london