daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1061
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

Slipform Emerges On The Pinnacle

With a near complete Heron Tower rounding out the troika of skyscrapers from Waterloo Bridge in the City of London, take a good look at the skyline and remember it - with the Pinnacles core about to start construction this is all about to change again in only a few months.

Concrete contracting firm, Bymes Brothers, has started installing the jump-form system on site in which the concrete core of the building will be formed with it set to reach basement level three in height in September 2010. Once this is completed phase two of the concrete work will be done, which involves the core rising all the way to the 59th floor.

For those who don't know, a slipform is basically a large mould that has concrete poured into it with hydraulic jacks that move the form gradually as the concrete is poured allowing it to have a constant shape as it rises floor after floor.

Meanwhile the steel contractor VBH is building the steel frame that takes up the space from the basement to ground level in time for mid august. It's only after this that the tower will start to form above ground level as the superstructure follows phase two of the concreting upwards.

The scale of the works on the KPF designed tower have already been unprecedented for London with the deepest foundations of any building in the City plus the pro-longed demolition of the previous occupant of the site, Crosby Court, that had been engineered to be bomb proof.

Once complete the Pinnacle will stand 287.9 metres tall, and although it won't be the tallest building in London, it will have the highest occupiable floor trumping the Shard in that respect.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2599

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1062
Powelll
Rośnij w siłę, Polsko!

Likes (Received): 30

I don't really like The Shard but this one is (will be) very nice.
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #1063
skyhighNL

Likes (Received): 11

A beautiful small tower! I was surprised that the floor area was only 131,510 m2, I thought it was much bigger!
For example "De rotterdam" has a floor area of 160,000 m2, but I prefer this tall tower
skyhighNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #1064
ISTARI

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhighNL View Post
A beautiful small tower! I was surprised that the floor area was only 131,510 m2, I thought it was much bigger!
For example "De rotterdam" has a floor area of 160,000 m2, but I prefer this tall tower
All things being relative, in this particular cluster I don't think you could call this tower small? I presume your reference is to the total floor area?

The Maastower in Rotterdam at 165m has a lettable floor area of only 37,500 m2.

De Rotterdam comprises a complex of three towers, all 150m in height.
ISTARI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #1065
skyhighNL

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTARI View Post
All things being relative, in this particular cluster I don't think you could call this tower small? I presume your reference is to the total floor area?

The Maastower in Rotterdam at 165m has a lettable floor area of only 37,500 m2.

De Rotterdam comprises a complex of three towers, all 150m in height.
sorry, you're right, it was not a good comparison. and indeed, my reference was to the total floor area

I hope the tower will be the same as on the renders,its really a beauty!
skyhighNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1066
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

I am really looking forward to see when this building starts rising. It will make a perfect addition to the skyline.

Last edited by JLAG; August 12th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1067
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhighNL View Post
That's a silly thing to say - I'd never heard of De Rotterdam but having looked it's a much fatter building at just under 500ft which is going to have a large floor space if it's fat. Pinnacle is a tapering tower, why compare two completely incomparable buildings - that's like comparing a Porsche 911 with a Land Rover
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1068
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

If considering the design of the two buildings I would say it is more like comparing a Porsche 911 with a Volvo 740... but now I am really off topic.
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1069
Roope E

Likes (Received): 0

I really like how the glass facade is going to look at the bottom. It really has a curtain feel to it!

It's also funny that they had to downsize it from 307m to 288m due to the air traffic, at least that's what http://www.openbuildings.com/buildin...file-1065.html says. They also argue that it's gonna be europe's second tallest building after the shard.
Roope E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1070
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roope E View Post
I really like how the glass facade is going to look at the bottom. It really has a curtain feel to it!

It's also funny that they had to downsize it from 307m to 288m due to the air traffic, at least that's what http://www.openbuildings.com/buildin...file-1065.html says. They also argue that it's gonna be europe's second tallest building after the shard.
Re. the air traffic downsizing, thats due to the towers proximity to the London City Airports flightpath.
The article states second tallest in the 'European Union' - which is correct because Russia isn't a member. As things stand it will be Europe's third tallest building.
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1071
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

I remember it being 311 meters, purposely 1 meter higher than the shard.

Until it was asked to downsize itself...as if those 20 meters would make a difference to whether a plane hit it or not.

Oh well.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1072
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

I've been waiting for this tower for a loooong time...finally it's about to make my day, month, year...life Go Britain - Go Europe
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1073
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Been over a week since the last update, I bet it's almost topped out by now.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1074
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Here's a pic from yesterday morning made by the forum user Talisker, posted in the London section of this forum:

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1075
PortoNuts

I thought we would have to wait a lot more to see it rising. It's definitely progressing.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #1076
PortoNuts

by chest.

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1077
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

great progress with the core ,just how will they take out the crane sections with all that concrete around it ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1078
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Guys, I'm asking everyone to think way ahead here....but what will happen once this is long finished and we wanted something taller? We won't be able to have it because maximum height limit for anything in London is around 1000ft AOD because of CAA impositions.

So I'm feeling we should celebrate this building in terms of height because with this and LBT going up this is a once in a lifetime chance to see these going up. We can talk about others and built environment and new developments, but we will never be able to talk about anything taller than what's going up now. This is the London skyscrapercity Pinnacle (sorry) of height talk.

I am annoyed by it though to be honest, desperately so when Paris has their La Defense plans that have 3 buildings all taller than LBT and Frankfurt too!! London will remain the financial centre it is but it has nowhere else to go in height
RichW1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1079
will3gross4

LONDON | Bishopsgate Tower (The Pinnacle) | 288m | 63 fl | U/C

Wow!!That's absolutely fantastic.Pics are amazing.What a building man.Beautiful....
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1080
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW1 View Post
Guys, I'm asking everyone to think way ahead here....but what will happen once this is long finished and we wanted something taller? We won't be able to have it because maximum height limit for anything in London is around 1000ft AOD because of CAA impositions.
There probably won't be many other skyscrapers in the City but London has plenty of other areas to grow tall. Canary Wharf itself is not completely packed yet.

Tags
britain, london